Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. iomatic's Avatar
    Posts
    629 Posts
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
       #1  
    I *really* want to get a Treo (my T616 is dying), but I *really don't* want to switch to Cingular; 7PM nights would be awesome to keep (I am on 250+200+50/unl. nights, or something like that-- AT&T Local 29.99 (or 39? don't remember)-- anyway...) and all the other advantages of having AT&T (Cingular Blue.)

    But, I don't want to pay a premium for an unlocked Treo 650, though this would mean DUN is enabled correct? If so, do I need to order (a cheaper phone) before the 14th to get a decent MEdiaWorks plan? arghhh... decisions.

    Help here, please!

    Thanks.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    I *really* want to get a Treo (my T616 is dying), but I *really don't* want to switch to Cingular; 7PM nights would be awesome to keep (I am on 250+200+50/unl. nights, or something like that-- AT&T Local 29.99 (or 39? don't remember)-- anyway...) and all the other advantages of having AT&T (Cingular Blue.)

    But, I don't want to pay a premium for an unlocked Treo 650, though this would mean DUN is enabled correct? If so, do I need to order (a cheaper phone) before the 14th to get a decent MEdiaWorks plan? arghhh... decisions.

    Help here, please!

    Thanks.
    here's the breakdown:

    on cingular you'd get
    • $39.99/mo

    • 450 anytime rollover minutes

    • 5000 night and weekend minutes between 9PM/6AM

    • unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling to anyone on at&t/cingular

    THEN
    • add another $14 if you want to keep your 7PM unlimited nights

    • or another $10 if you want 600 anytime rollover minutes

    • and let's not forget the $18 "migration" charge added to your first month's bill

    PLUS
    • better coverage via the allover network

    • true "no roaming charges" service

    • crappier customer care


    the choice is yours, really.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  3. #3  
    Why not order it from ATT? Or don't you have a FAN account? If you want to wait until I get my unlocked model from the Vienna channels deal I'd sell you my ATT 650 for exactly what I paid for it 5 days ago. I plan on sending it back to ATT anyway (don't need 2). I paid $459 + 6%NJ tax. Problem is, I don't know how long they will take.
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    I *really* want to get a Treo (my T616 is dying), but I *really don't* want to switch to Cingular; 7PM nights would be awesome to keep (I am on 250+200+50/unl. nights, or something like that-- AT&T Local 29.99 (or 39? don't remember)-- anyway...) and all the other advantages of having AT&T (Cingular Blue.)

    But, I don't want to pay a premium for an unlocked Treo 650, though this would mean DUN is enabled correct? If so, do I need to order (a cheaper phone) before the 14th to get a decent MEdiaWorks plan? arghhh... decisions.

    Help here, please!

    Thanks.
  4. iomatic's Avatar
    Posts
    629 Posts
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
       #4  
    Thanks!

    What about the whole MEdiaWorks fiasco/DUN profiles? Any more clarity on that?And I think I've got the local 29.99 plan, includes 650mins... I might be better off with an unlocked phone and mmode -- will THAT work?
  5. #5  
    I don't understand:

    • better coverage via the allover network

    • true "no roaming charges" service

    Please explain. Especially the 2nd one. What kind of roaming charges does Blue have that Orange doesn't? And why should coverage be any different? Where I am (NJ/NY area) everywhere I go I get better coverage on ATT (I have a Cing phone as well). Sometime a lot better but at the least, the same.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Thanks!

    What about the whole MEdiaWorks fiasco/DUN profiles? Any more clarity on that?And I think I've got the local 29.99 plan, includes 650mins... I might be better off with an unlocked phone and mmode -- will THAT work?
    not sure what the status is right now on cingular limiting the $19.99 mediaworks to 3MB for data, but supposing that it's bogus...

    if memory serves me right, at&t's mMode only gave you 6MB at that same $19.99 pricebreak and didn't include sms/mms, so that mediaworks package in perspective is a steal. btdun is available on the locked version via a patch available elsewhere. however, your treo would require a reset after each use, whereas the unbranded p1 version does not. whether or not it's more stable than the patched version has yet to be confirmed.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  7. iomatic's Avatar
    Posts
    629 Posts
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
       #7  
    Nice to know. So perhaps switching is better... sigh.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    I don't understand:

    • better coverage via the allover network

    • true "no roaming charges" service

    Please explain. Especially the 2nd one. What kind of roaming charges does Blue have that Orange doesn't? And why should coverage be any different? Where I am (NJ/NY area) everywhere I go I get better coverage on ATT (I have a Cing phone as well). Sometime a lot better but at the least, the same.
    since october, at&t customers have been given the added benefit of free mobile-to-mobile calling to other cingular customers. however, upon closer examination of the at&t gsm national coverage map, you'll see that those free mobile-to-mobile minutes only apply when both users are within the red "mobile-to-mobile" boundaries as designated by at&t.

    so if you're on at&t, and you call your buddy who's on cingular, but he's outside the red boundaries, then that call is coming out of your anytime minutes, and as such, have a greater likelihood of going over your minute bucket. factor in the overage charge of .45cents/minute and you could have yourself one costly cellphone bill! with cingular, the allover network states that no matter where you are with the network, your voice/data/mobile-to-mobile minutes apply.

    the 2nd one doesn't really apply anymore now that the two have merged, but prior to the merger, individuals who were on the at&t gsm national were supposedly on a "roaming-included" service, which if you read your service agreement's fine print, was never really the case.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  9. #9  
    HUH? I don't understand what you are asking. You won't have DUN unless you use the Shadowmite patch or get the $700 unlocked model (and until someone gets one of those, while it very well might, I wouldn't be 100% sure it will have DUN unlocked regardless of what everyone assumes).

    Mediaworks as of 2/11 or 2/14 will be $25 unlimited and their plans are going up in cost but you'd have to switch to Cingular for that. If you have ATT you can get mMode not Mediaworks. I have unlimited mMode ($25/month) and it's working fine on the 650. You can probably add it online through your account manager login. They also have metered mMode by the kb. Why would you need an unlocked phone for mMode?

    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Thanks!

    What about the whole MEdiaWorks fiasco/DUN profiles? Any more clarity on that?And I think I've got the local 29.99 plan, includes 650mins... I might be better off with an unlocked phone and mmode -- will THAT work?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    HUH? I don't understand what you are asking. You won't have DUN unless you use the Shadowmite patch or get the $700 unlocked model (and until someone gets one of those, while it very well might, I wouldn't be 100% sure it will have DUN unlocked regardless of what everyone assumes).

    Mediaworks as of 2/11 or 2/14 will be $25 unlimited and their plans are going up in cost but you'd have to switch to Cingular for that. If you have ATT you can get mMode not Mediaworks. I have unlimited mMode ($25/month) and it's working fine on the 650. You can probably add it online through your account manager login. They also have metered mMode by the kb. Why would you need an unlocked phone for mMode?
    let's assume iomatic doesn't have access to nbo for a branded at&t 650. he's thinking he might be better off ordering the unlocked version and keeping his at&t service, instead of jumping ship to cingular and using their treo 650 on cingular service. alles klar?
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  11. #11  
    LOL .... for the most part, most (obviously not all) of ones buddies usually are within their local area. I wasn't aware of those conditions but I think the likelyhood of that happening often enough to force you over your minute plan is pretty slim ... but I guess possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    upon closer examination of the at&t gsm national coverage map, you'll see that those free mobile-to-mobile minutes only apply when both users are within the red "mobile-to-mobile" boundaries as designated by at&t.

    so if you're on at&t, and you call your buddy who's on cingular, but he's outside the red boundaries, then that call is coming out of your anytime minutes, and as such, have a greater likelihood of going over your minute bucket. factor in the overage charge of .45cents/minute and you could have yourself one costly cellphone bill! with cingular, the allover network states that no matter where you are with the network, your voice/data/mobile-to-mobile minutes apply.
  12. #12  
    Absolutely 100% true. After reading his message a few more times I figured out what he meant (which was why I mentioned my ATT 650 originally).
    Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    let's assume iomatic doesn't have access to nbo for a branded at&t 650. he's thinking he might be better off ordering the unlocked version and keeping his at&t service, instead of jumping ship to cingular as using theirs. alles klar?
  13. #13  
    Another option would be to order the AT&T Treo 650 from www.palmone.com. It's $549, the same price as the Cingular version without a contract.
  14. #14  
    That would be absolutely his best way to go. I wasn't aware they were selling ATT phones until you mentioned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by technogrammy
    Another option would be to order the AT&T Treo 650 from www.palmone.com. It's $549, the same price as the Cingular version without a contract.
  15. iomatic's Avatar
    Posts
    629 Posts
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
       #15  
    Yeah, no Foundation or NBO account -- I could use my business to do it, but they want a $800 deposit for a year (no way!)

    Thanks! But $549! It's not even unlocked. May as well switch to Cingular, without a MEdiaWorks plan (online switch from AT&T or CSR), and add the better unlimited plan later, am I understanding the MEdiaWorks pricing to better after 11th or 14th (no one knows?)

    Thanks.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by technogrammy
    Another option would be to order the AT&T Treo 650 from www.palmone.com. It's $549, the same price as the Cingular version without a contract.
    I would not recommend buying any ATTWS phones. Eventually Cingular will find a way to convert you over to their service, and unless you like getting the cheap free phones, you will need an unlocked one. For the $549, you just need to another $50-150 for the unlocked version.
  17. #17  
    By the time that happens .... A COUPLE YEARS for sure, we'll be on the Treo 950. .
    Quote Originally Posted by thxac3
    I would not recommend buying any ATTWS phones. Eventually Cingular will find a way to convert you over to their service, and unless you like getting the cheap free phones, you will need an unlocked one. For the $549, you just need to another $50-150 for the unlocked version.
  18. #18  
    Reverse .... the Cingular plans are going up in price (but adding a few more minutes) and the Mediaworks (unlimited) is going up to $25 from $20.
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Yeah, no Foundation or NBO account -- I could use my business to do it, but they want a $800 deposit for a year (no way!)

    Thanks! But $549! It's not even unlocked. May as well switch to Cingular, without a MEdiaWorks plan (online switch from AT&T or CSR), and add the better unlimited plan later, am I understanding the MEdiaWorks pricing to better after 11th or 14th (no one knows?)

    Thanks.
  19. iomatic's Avatar
    Posts
    629 Posts
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
       #19  
    So if I need to act, I need to act before the 11th (or sooner if I want to fiddle with the phone by the weekend)... on the site, the 19.99 MEdiaWorks plan is 3MB! I guess I could add it later with a rep...)
  20. eugarps's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Nice to know. So perhaps switching is better... sigh.
    FWIW, I have Blue and will be keeping it. I have 900 shared minutes and 7:00 PM Evenings on a plan with with my wife (who rarely uses her phone) and Unlimited mMode. I also am currently using an AT&T locked Motorola V600 which would be an expensive piece of junk, where I to switch. I've got an unlocked Treo 650 on order and am getting by with my V600 and my T|3 right now. I can wait a few weeks.
    Best,

    Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!

Posting Permissions