1.    #1  
    How do you assign a sound file to ""Email
    Notification"?

I've read the manual, and have selected SnapperMail
    under "Email Notification" in the preferences.
    However, I see nowhere to select which sound is
    associated with this action.

If I select a sound to associate with SnapperMail
    under "Applications", it will play when a new email
    arrives, but it will also play at 3 A.M. every morning
    whenever SnapperMail runs it's daily routine.
    yes but there is a bug which plays that alarm for no reason sometimes
    I posted that in another thread earlier!
    So there is a bug?
    I was wondering why my alert was sounding for other applications other than the one I had it set for!
    Mine does the 3am thing too.
    I can get Koolalarms to work fine with Agendus appointments, but with Snapper, it is either random or when Snappermail initiates, before it even downloads the emails...frustrating.
    Charliec
    My experience with all ToySoft Apps (that I have tried) is that they are buggy, work as advertised infrequently and are not updated to address bugs as often as I would think is neccessary.

Further, the developer when pressed to fix a bug will often drop a feature, or even worse, just advise against using it.

I am not on a vendetta, just a dissatisfied registered user of two of ToySoft Apps and am taking this opportunity to vent.

YMMV,

cheers
  6.    #6  
    mattyparanoid,

That's been my experience in the past, but LightWav 5 did something that I think is essential (internal mp3s) and seems thusfar to be pretty stable. KoolAlarms definitely needs some work, though.
  7.    #7  
    From Toysoft's support.

yes. all you do is assign a sound in snappermail in the Application
    screen.
    the problem is with snapperMail. it does a check for sometime.
    you might want to ask SnapperMail support and see why it does that.
    Looks like it's time to delete KoolAlarms.
    also it's lame that they had to divide lightwav into separate programs that lightwav did all in one (kool alarms, mp3 ringer). Such greedy capitalists! oh well. what can one do?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    also it's lame that they had to divide lightwav into separate programs that lightwav did all in one (kool alarms, mp3 ringer). Such greedy capitalists! oh well. what can one do?
    KoolAlarms is free with lwav. we have separated the two because non Treo users doesnt need all the functionalties of lwav.

as for snapperMail playing randomly make sure you check if you have a sound assigned for Repeat item. For whatever reason snappermail runs in the middle of the night and it will cause lwav to sound the alarm.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
  10.    #10  
    Is there no way to isolate a event for "new email" from "generic snappermail alert"?

I haven't tried it yet, but SnapperMail has an option to play a midi whenever new mail comes in, and I assume that it doesn't play during the daily 3 AM routine.
    In Koolalarms on preferences page, there is a selection for "Email notification" - I chose Snappermail...below it there is an "Alarms folder" which shows /AUDIO - which is where my wav files are...but there is not option to select a specific wav file for Snappermail alert...what am I missing? Thanks
    Charliec
  12.    #12  
    You have to set the alert tone in the applications (main) page. However, you'll probably start seeing the same issues I spoke of earlier...hearing the damn tone whenever SnapperMail has an alert, including the 3 AM maintenance tasks it runs every day.

I still don't understand how KoolAlarms is unable to make use out of a disparate alert in Snappermail. Snappermail has an option for "Alert Tone" under email notification, but KoolWavs apparently cannot make use of that, and has to settle for a generic tone for all SnapperMail events...making it useless for this purpose in my opinion.
    Folks,
    I replaced SnapperMail with Chatter, but I'm thinking a certain trick may work for you, since you mention that Snapper DOES have a specific email "alert" option. I wanna explain this precisely so you can know the steps I used, and why.

I already had Butler (& Pocket Tunes). I disabled Agendus alarms, so I'd be free of its notorious alarm-induced resets. That killed ToDo alarms, since they're dependent on Agendus magic. Work-around: MemoPlus (HandsHigh.com/ $19 -- had it from a looong time ago), with its global alarm prefs set to silent.mid. MemoPlus only does midi sounds, which I usually can't hear. Experimenting, I went into Butler. I set its "Attention Manager" to "normal alerts" (and "VoiceMail Notification" only-- didn't want it to interfere with CallFilter's handling of all phone-related mp3's), then set my mp3 tune. Here's the kicker for Snapper woes-- Butler has an option to restrict the time for such alerts (same screen)!

Now, when a MemoPlus alarm is triggered, the full text of my (handwritten or typed) note pops open full screen. Seconds later, Butler plays the mp3.
    Latest BugMe ("NotePad") muffled the mp3 volume, and only shows a thumbnail of my note. Older BugMe showed the full note, but it's dumb about the system Alert manager, so I was stuck with midi's. Which is what coerced me into resurrecting MemoPlus.

With that as background, I'm thinking that if you set Snapper's email alert to silent, then use Butler as described (assuming you have it), Butler's alarm should be triggered. Butler's assignment in this regard covers ALL system alarms. However, BackUpMan goes off every morning at 3:50, to do the backup. Butler's smart enough to leave that alone. (I don't have the time lock-out configured within Butler.) I'm not positive, but it seems to kick in, alert-wise, only (10 seconds) after a silent.mid has played. At least, that's the effect I witness. But since I just noticed the previously described time lock-out option within Butler, looks to me like it "should" work precisely as you desire with Snapper, either naturally or with that time lock-out properly config'd to shut up Snapper during wee hours.

Final notes:
    1) Butler lets you choose RingTone (fancy midi's you may have downloaded), MP3s, or "Old Alarms" (system sounds).
    2) I repeat: Butler will cover all system alerts, such as datebook, which may or may not be what you want.

Hey, just a thought ...
    That having been said - SMILEY - is there not a way to have Koolalarms play an MP3 when Snappermail recieves a new email? Simple...

Right now mine either plays nothing or plays whatever I have assinged via Koolalarms when Snappermail is initiated.
    Charliec
    Quote Originally Posted by charliec
    That having been said - SMILEY - is there not a way to have Koolalarms play an MP3 when Snappermail recieves a new email? Simple...

Right now mine either plays nothing or plays whatever I have assinged via Koolalarms when Snappermail is initiated.
    for what ever reason snappermail sets an alarm at 3:00am or so and KoolAlarms picks it up as an valide entry. if you have snapperMail newer than 2.1 then it will not work. you need to set the email notification in KA settings and then assign a sound file in the Application page.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca