1.    #1  
    I need some help in figuring out which of these (Pocket Quicken or QMate) will work better for me. Let me explain my situation...

My wife has a Palm III and I have a IVDx. We have two computers on a LAN at our house and each of us syncs on a different computer. I would like it setup so that we both can enter checkbook entries on our PDA's which will sync up with Quicken. My understanding is that Pocket Quicken will sync directly with Quicken 2000, while QMate will save a .qif file which I will have to import into Quicken. (Please correct my assumptions if I am wrong.) So, here's how I see my options...

Pocket Quicken - I would have to have all my Quicken data on a shared drive, (and install Quicken on both computers?) so that the conduit could access the Quicken data from either computer. I guess the big question on this is do I have to have Quicken loaded on a computer in order for the conduit to work?

QMate - I would have to have her QMate conduit save the .qif file which I would have to remember to import (along with my .qif file) when I balance my checkbook on Quicken. (The advantage here is that I don't have to leave all my Quicken data on a shared drive.)

So, a few questions I need help with...
    1. Am I making any incorrect assumptions here?
    2. Do I need Quicken on her computer in order for the conduit to work?
    3. Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks for your thoughts!
  2. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    My wife and I use Qmate and love it. When you sync, Qmate writes a QIF file to a specific folder that you can locate wherever you want it. You can set it up so that every time you sync, it just add new data to the same file from the last sync. This way, when I sync, my info is added to the file, then when my wife syncs, her data is added to the same file. I only have one file to import into Quicken which I do about once a month. (As soon as you import, you have to remember to delete the current QIF file.) I would think that if you can set up this import folder on a shared drive between your computers, you would not have any problem.

I have not used Pocket Quicken, but I highly recommend it. It has reduced the time it takes to balance the checkbook from about 30-45 minutes to 10!! I have also found the program's writer very helpful if you have any questions. And its alot cheaper!!

Hope this helps...
  3.    #3  
    SCM,

So when your wife adds stuff from her QMate file, it doesn't erase what you had already added?
  4. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Originally posted by euangel:
    SCM,

So when your wife adds stuff from her QMate file, it doesn't erase what you had already added?
    It depends on how you set it up. Qmate gives you two options. One way (not what I use) is that everytime you sync, it erases the last QIF file and creates a new one. With this option, you have to import the QIF file into Quicken every time you sync. The second option (and this is what we use)will simply add to new entries to the existing QIF file whenever you sync. The down side to
    this option is that it does not erase the QIF file after you import it into Quicken. So if you forgot to manually delete the file after your last import, the next time you import you will get duplicate entries. I thought that it would be hard to remember to delete the QIF file after I import it, but it has turned out to be no big deal.

My wife and I both have our Visors with us wherever we go. When we write a check or hand over our VISA card, we enter it into QMate right then. QMate allows you to import all you Quicken categories and stuff like that, plus, like Quicken, it has an auto fill function that will automatically recognizes frequently used names and fills in the categories, amount, etc for you so that you only have to do minor editing. It is pretty quick, except for all the people looking over your shoulder and asking, "What is that?"!

Stephen
  5.    #5  
    The results of my findings in case anyone else is curious...

As SCM has already said, QMate is working great for what I want. My wife and I both enter our info in QMate, and it appends the info. into the same .qif file on a shared drive.

Pocket Quicken would not work. Even though my Quicken data was on a shared drive, it would only add the transactions from whatever computer I had synced from. For example, Quicken on my computer would only show the transactions I had added on my Visor. Then I went in on her computer, and it would only show the transactions she had added on her Palm. That's no good! I don't want to have to go back and forth to balance the checkbook!

I like the connectivity of Pocket Quicken, but it actually hindered what I want to do with it!
  6. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    euangel,

Glad qmate is working out for you. I hope that an autosyncing feature will be added soon, but even without it, its a great product.

Stephen
    If Pocket Quicken has the support of regular Quicken then I would vote for QMate! Pocket Quicken also has a low limit on the number of accounts (I think it is 15) that can be imported into the Palm and you can't control which ones. They load by alphebetic order.
    HankH