1.    #1  
    Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to make my ROM very light using the following setup:

Shadowmite - Minimal ROM (No versamail etc)
    All other Programs installed with Zlauncher on SD card (Chattermail etc...)
    What advantage would that offer?
    Palm III > Palm IIIx > HS Visor > HS Prism > iPaq 3650> Jornada 560 > nothing > Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridges
    Shadowmite - Minimal ROM (No versamail etc)
    All other Programs installed with Zlauncher on SD card (Chattermail etc...)
    ROM and RAM are two different things. You can make your ROM as small as possible, but you won't be able to store more on your Treo, as you don't store anything in ROM.

Now, if you created a custom ROM with all your apps in ROM...THAT would give you more memory.
    Exactly (well, mabye not ALL your apps)! But once you've done this and created a stable configuration, Treo life is sweet....

Quote Originally Posted by TriangleRocks
    custom ROM with all your apps in ROM...THAT would give you more memory.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
  5.    #5  
    maybe im wrong...but as I understood it...the Treo comes with 32 megs of memory...built in..(the ROM)...and on this is some of the programs like Versamail...and others..which take up about 11 mb of it..leaving around 28-29 left over....the Treo..also uses this when running programs...

....wouldnt it make sense...to lessen the applications on the ROM...leaving more memory for programs to run...like when watching a Divx file...?
    No, you want to increase your usage of the ROM memory. Try to fill it up (with a custom ROM). I'd recommend putting Zlauncher in your ROM! That way you'll have more memory free in your RAM for other apps. Basically, whether you have 7mb of stuff or 4mb of stuff in your ROM, you will still see the same free RAM available...so might as well put more than less stuff in your ROM (stuff you otherwise would put in your RAM like Zlauncher, etc.)
  7.    #7  
    ah i see..im on crack i guess...so whats the point of having a light ROM?
    no point at all, unless you really get annoyed by RealPlayer, Sprint Business whatever, etc., etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridges
    ah i see..im on crack i guess...so whats the point of having a light ROM?

There are 2 very good reasons to have a light ROM.

1. By eliminating some software from the ROM, you have more room to place software of your own choosing in the ROM, freeing up RAM for use as you see fit.

2. Eliminating duplicate software that clutters up your device. For example, if you use Pocket Tunes for MP3's, then why even keep RealPlayer around. Get rid of the clutter!

So, there is a good reason to having a light ROM available. Thank you Shadowmite!