Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Originally posted by howhao
    For Exchange 03 users, T650 has built in versamail, which is pretty much MS Activesync FOR FREE.

It is fine if you just want to send/receive your email and have calendar and contact, however they do not "push", so you have to adjust minute intervals to sync, also security sucks. 128bit SSL is all they do, while Goodlink have double AES 192bit end to end plus the SSL.

Also goodlink has tons of useful features.
    I am getting ready to install Exchange 03.

I have looked at the following:

Versamail: Free & from this post sounds like it does what I need (basic sync on a pull basis)

PocketMirror/KeySuite: $70: Pull client that sounds like it synchronizes everything.

Sprint Business Connect (Seven): ?

Intellisync Mobile Suite 6: $90: Push client that otherwise sounds like KeySuite

Good : $27/month: Intellisync functionality but with IT administrative features (can wipe out a stolen Treo from admin site) and it's own apps and databases. On the negative, it uses it's own databases and apps, which are supposedly slower and less robust than the native apps...

I love SnapperMail. Do I have to give it up?

Any advice?

-----------------

Versamail: PULL: Free:For Exchange 03 users, T650 has built in versamail, which is pretty much MS Activesync FOR FREE. It is fine if you just want to send/receive your email and have calendar and contact, however they do not "push", so you have to adjust minute intervals to sync, also security sucks. 128bit SSL is all they do, while Goodlink have double AES 192bit end to end plus the SSL.

PocketMirror: PULL:
    http://www.chapura.com/pm_ks_compare.php Increase your productivity. Access and update more of your business and personal information from Outlook while you’re away from your desk.
    Synchronize up to 15 Outlook folders, including public folders and subfolders
    Change default folders
    Chapura Calendar application lets you synchronize multiple people’s schedules with one handheld calendar
    The only third party solution available for synchronizing information in multiple Outlook folders with the additional fields that palmOne built into the extended software applications for personal information management.
    Synchronize with Outlook with Business Contact Manager (BCM) Synchronize the Business Contacts folder in BCM with the built-in Address Book/Contacts software on your Palm Powered handheld.

Intellisync Mobile Suite 6: PUSH - $90 / user
    http://www.intellisync.com/
    Intellisync Mobile Suite 6 raises the standard for mobility software by providing comprehensive infrastructure now required in most corporate mobile initiatives. Intellisync already offers some of the industry’s broadest device and application support. Unlike other providers that specialize on supporting specific applications or devices, Intellisync offers some of the most advanced mobility functionality across the widest array of devices, applications and data sources.
    By adding Intellisync Mobile Suite 6 to existing corporate infrastructure, companies now have more options for delivering more information from more sources to more mobile devices from a single vendor.

Good : PUSH $27/month/user (1650 per year for 5)
    GOOD:
    Security is awesome,
    Push synchronization is fast
    Ability to look-up names in GAL
    All Outlook functions are constantly sync'd
    Not so good:
    expensive,
    doesn't sync with native databases,
    Delay in searching for a name from home screen (sometimes only first letter is registered)
    Can not look-up a contact details (not dial) from home screen
    Can not view attachments in native format (EDIT: I am told that Good actually does work with Docs To Go - so this shouldn't be a problem)
    No conditional notification (ie: you can tell SnapperMail to only notify you of messages between x:xxAM and y:yyPM)
    Cannot forward meeting invites to other people
    Cannot use third party spell checker (requires /K)
    Cannot add attachments to an email
    Last edited by varoomba; 02/13/2005 at 04:43 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Originally posted by howhao
    ok this is going to be a little long, but for people who are serious, it's worth a read.

Versamail is not secure, not push, lacks features (only mail and calendar)

pocketmail similar to versamail

intellisync is very cumbersome for IT to manage, poor sync experience and not secure.

see what you'll find is that, among all these solutions they require a lot of bandwidth. average 20-50mb a month, which will require you to purchase an unlimited data plan. GoodLink was designed on the old pager mobitex network and is very lean, on average only 2mb a month and 5mb for power users, which enables you to purchase the cheaper plan which usually costs less than 50% of the unlimited plan.

GoodLink and RIM are the only players that target the enterprise market., which is why they are the only ones that are AES and FIPS certified and so forth, unlike others. it's also very easy for IT to manage, since everything can be done over the air and the installation of the GoodLink server takes 20 mouseclicks and 1 hr time, less if you are an experienced exchange admin.

it's feature-packed, and it is outlook in your hand, extremely easy to use interface, and so many thoughtful but forgotten features on other services...

anyway i can go on and on but with the money you save on the dataplan, GoodLink is at least on par, if not better, in its pricing structure.

Just so you know, Bill Gates himself is on GoodLink.

hope this helps.
    Not so good:
    expensive
    This is a common misperception with GoodLink. At initial glance, it can appear to be more expensive than other solutions. But one must look at the total cost of ownership. All upgrades, major and minor, as well as technical support through Good are included in the subscription price. With a two-year subscription, including a promotion of 4 free months, it works out to roughly $19 and some change per month. The additional savings in not requiring an unlimited data plan needs to be viewed as well. Add on the fact that there is no desktop install required, no cradling required for any aspect of GoodLink, including initial provisioning, and the TCO is typically less than any other solution.
    doesn't sync with native databases
    One of the key features of GoodLink is the fact that it mirrors Exchange/Outlook. The contacts (which is the major complaint when looking at Palm native apps) are made to provide the same look and feel as Outlook.
    Delay in searching for a name from home screen (sometimes only first letter is registered)
    Could you give a bit more detail as to what you are referring to here? I have never had any delay.
    Can not look-up a contact details (not dial) from home screen
    Again, don't know what you are referring to. You can go to Good Contacts from the home screen and dial.
    Can not view attachments in native format (EDIT: I am told that Good actually does work with Docs To Go - so this shouldn't be a problem)
    You answered your own question here. With D2G, you can view, edit and save attachments in their native format. Looking at the end of the summer (hopefully) and you will be able to send edited attachments. Currently, you can forward unchanged attachments.
    No conditional notification (ie: you can tell SnapperMail to only notify you of messages between x:xxAM and y:yyPM)
    True, though I don't see a reason why one would want this feature. To stop receiving email, you can simpy disable the data connection (offline) from the menu and no email will be received. I turn mine off, for example, on the weekends
    Cannot forward meeting invites to other people
    Hmm..never been asked this before.
    Cannot use third party spell checker (requires /K)
    True. Don't know of a reason or the plans as it relates to adding that as a feature in future releases.
    Cannot add attachments to an email
    As I referenced above, this should be coming very soon. This is more a function of Exchange and security, but we should have it, hopefully, this year.

Couple of other benefits of GoodLink:
    Syncronization of all folders
    Complete cradeless operation..an IT department dream
    GoodLink Monitoring Console which allows IT departments to view all activity on a device over the last 24 hours including coverage, traffic, etc. This makes troubleshooting a breeze.
    Positive Acknowledgement: Messages are guaranteed devlivered with the real time-stamp (from Exchange) as opposed to the time it hits the device. When an email hits your device, the time stamp is the same as in your inbox, so you know the real time, not the time it hits the device. You are on a plane for 3 hours, you land and sync up, messages are in the order they hit Exchange, not your device. Very key for threaded discussions, etc.
    Preview Pane. Some like, some don't, but makes scanning through messages much faster than having to open every single message.
    Push third-party apps OTA. Another feature that IT departments love. All upgrades, new apps, etc, can be done wirelessly.
    Consistent look and feel across platforms. The Palm version and the PPC version have the same look and feel: Outlook. Eases end-user learning curve and increases acceptance.

There are additional features that may or may not be of benefit for you. Bottom line is if you are looking for real-time, secure synchronization of Exchange, you will not find a more complete solution from any other solution.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    There are additional features that may or may not be of benefit for you. Bottom line is if you are looking for real-time, secure synchronization of Exchange, you will not find a more complete solution from any other solution.
    GoodGuy - thanks for such a thorough response to my questions. Sounds like GoodLink is a great solution.

To really give the 30 day trial a workout, I'll need to dedicate a server and set up that software - right? That's not a negative, just making sure I understand.

Thanks for your help. You deserve a bonus for all of the time you spend supporting GoodLink on these forums!
    My pleasure, Varoomba. When we say GoodLink server runs on it's own box, the minimums are exactly that: minimal. A P3, 800MhZ with 512MB and about 20MB of RAM. You probably have a higher end box sitting around.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    Couple of other benefits of GoodLink:
    Complete cradeless operation..an IT department dream
    Push third-party apps OTA. Another feature that IT departments love. All upgrades, new apps, etc, can be done wirelessly.
    Consistent look and feel across platforms.
    These features are not availble yet. These features will be available when 4.0 is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    These features are not availble yet. These features will be available when 4.0 is released.
    Which is within the next week or so. I am running 4.0 right now and have customers running it. It is baked and is awesome.
    Hey there,

Have a look at

Nexchange

Very very promising. The at present, it doesn't synchronise mail but will do so shortly.
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    I just got my IT department to set my 650 up with GoodLink last week, and althought I am still getting used to it, and setting it up to my liking, I am having a good (no pun intended) experience with it. My biggest complaint is probably that I like some of the native apps a little better like the Palm calendar (because for example it lets me color code my appointments by catagory, and I can't figure out how to make an appointment repeat - which should be easy I think). Also I think the GUI is nicer looking on the native apps.

GoodGuy,

SInce I am new to Good - will the 4.0 upgrade be free to current users? I don't know how all this works. My company probably has some sort of service agreement for upgrades anyway though.
    Treo 650 GSM
    helpermonkey...

Glad you are enjoying GoodLink. As for your comments regarding native apps vs Good Apps, we do hear that from folks, but one of the biggest points we try to make with GoodLink is similar look and feel of Outlook. True, some things like making appointments repeat and a couple of other functions of Outlook are not all there yet, but we are working towards it.

Regarding 4.0: All upgrades are included in the subscription.
    I can see why you might want to make the applications feel as close to outlook as possible... It's just that I am no fan of Microsoft products, so it isn't doing much for me. Plus you get to see the built in programs, and get used to them so... I am comparing them to the Good suite. A little alert icon would be nice too, like I get when versamail has a message for me, or when I have a voicemail, missed call etc...

Look forward to seing the new version of the software though.
    Treo 650 GSM
    GoodLink will alert you when you have new email by either a pop-up that fills the screen or a little bar that appears at the bottom of the screen when a new email comes in. Also, on the GoodLink home screen, there is an icon that tells you how many new emails you have.

I can appreciate your lack of "fandom" of MS apps. Unfortunately, Exchange/Outlook has become somewhat of a standard in the corporate world (please, no flames from Notes and Groupwise folks. I wish we supported both, but that is another thread) and Good made a business decision to go with the majority.

I am afraid I don't understand what you mean by "..you get to see the built in programs, and get used to them so". If you are referring to the native Palm apps, yes, but the learning curve for the GoodLink contacts, calendar, etc., because of the similarity to Outlook, is very small.

Thanks for your comments and I hope your experience continues to be a "good" one.
    To reply to the original post the problem I have experienced with Exchange Activesync is reliability, seems to be a little unstable but for a cost effective solution it is cheap

It does have some security built in because if setup properly it should be setup using an SSL certificate. So the traffic is encrypted unlike POP or IMAP by default.

I have tested Exchange ActiveSync, BES, and GoodLink for corporate messaging systems and IMHO Good Link is the best. I don't really consider IMAP or POP a corporate solution. Although Good may seem expensive initially from an administrative stand point it can be justified.
    For the Good product, I wish the 30 day trial was an instant download. But it DOES look like a good app. The pay per month deal is no good either. My company would rather pay a one time license.

Also, what kind of registration does it have? If it's complex and needs all kinds of keys and dinglehoppers on the Parallel port, forget it.
    It isn't a pay per month service, basically you buy client license for either a year or two years. If you buy it for two years you save money (I can't remember the exact pricing).

The registration is easy at least compared to setting up BES. If I remember correct it had a serial number and some other license key and that is it, no parallel port dinglehoppers.
    It is an annual fee and is a very simple set up. When you place your eval order, you get a license key. You can download the server and set it up on a machine prior to placing the order. You will get a registration key to activate the server. Then it is simply a matter of provisioning the phones. The GL server generates a unique ID for the phone. The stub (about 330K) is sent to the phone. The user then types in the reg key and the client is downloaded and installed on the phone. Roughly a 15 minute from start to finish for the phone. Then, more phones can be added without having to contact Good. If you organization, for example, orders 10 seats and needs to add more, all they have to do is light up the phones. We can see how many devices are associated with an account. When the number activated exceeds the amount paid for, we simply contact the customer and invoice them. Very easy. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    my company uses treo 600's and exchange 2003.

all but 1 of the 600's work fine on email. The issue is on this one phone is that when email is pulled in via snappermail, it marks the email read (whether the operator reads it or not) and then proceeds to do the same on the echange server.
    help?
    Well nobody mentioned seven so I thought I would. Pretty much any body can get on their beta and it works pretty well.

Push Mail
    Calender Viewing
    Contacts

The down side is that you have to run a redirector program on your pc to get everything to your phone.

From what I have been reading I am very interested in intellisync since its only $90 according to a previous post. I would go with good if it wasn't for $330 a year per phone.
    dtd..

I know it is tough to swallow that initial cost on it's face, but you have to look at the TCO. Lower data plan costs due to lower bandwidth usage (our numbers show about 16X more bandwidth with intellisync than with GoodLink) which has a direct effect on battery life. Good's security model is also tighter than Intellisync. And lastly, I encourage you and your IT folks to set up a GoodLink server vs the Intellisync server. GoodLink is much simpler to manage and install.

Just some thoughts...
    well no need to worry about data cost since sprint is unlimited data. security isn't much of a concern since we are talking a 5 person business. Nothing mission critical where i am worried about getting hacked. The $330 a licence is a large amount for us to spend on our startup company.

Does good do educational discounts? I could always use it for school and impress a few professors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast