Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by evildead
    yea but you were talking about:

    "Any connection under Prefs/Networks (e.g., virtual modem, wireless dial-up, standard modem) will use the data side, yielding a bill of $0.01/KB.:

    if you are tethering to your computer you could get charged extra but if your just using the phone itself to go online people have reported you will not get charged extra with the 650 and mediaworks unlimited

    How can they tell if you are tethered to a laptop/PDA or just using your phones built in browser?
  2. #22  
    They can't, but they CAN (and do) monitor ports. If they see 25MB FTP transfers, or PC anywhere ports in use for an hour they can pretty much assume it's tethered. Whether they do or don't charge for it is the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by thxac3
    How can they tell if you are tethered to a laptop/PDA or just using your phones built in browser?
  3. #23  
    My MEdia Works is not even showing in my online account, but it is in the contract at $19.95. Trouble is, in the contract, there's no mention of unlimited or 3MB limit.

    So, all the verbal assurance you get from Cingular means squat. Get ready to jump ship. LOL
  4. #24  
    LOL. I'm on the phone with Cingular. The rep says she didn't go to training about MW pricing yet. She's checking with someone who "received their MW training"

    What training? how to BS your customers till Feb 11 and then turn on the screw?

    Edit: the rep was taught to say: "sir, you're on the unlimited plan, so I advise you not to try to change plans or you will be subject to the 3MB limit." As for connection and throughput speed they've all been taught to say "We can't make the phone go any faster."
  5. #25  
    I had ordered a Cingular 650 from TC, but once I started reading this thread (plus a couple of others), I balked. Called TC, cancelled the order, bit the proverbial bullet and ordered an unlocked model from P1. I'll stick with T-Mobile and my trusty $19.99 unlimited internet plan.
  6. #26  
    Check and see how many SMS's & MMS's you are allowed (should show in your account), that will be the clue to which plan you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    My MEdia Works is not even showing in my online account, but it is in the contract at $19.95. Trouble is, in the contract, there's no mention of unlimited or 3MB limit.

    So, all the verbal assurance you get from Cingular means squat. Get ready to jump ship. LOL
  7. #27  
    So to add to the confusion, I bought my cing 650 late last week from a cingular store... The rep seemed to know what he was talking about... that doesn't mean I'm claiming this is right, just that it is as reliable as anything going around right now.

    I was told that I could get the unlimited MEdiaWorks package for $19.99. That I was able to activate it until Feb 11th, and if I did that I would remain on the unlimited $19.99 MEdiaWorks package. He did claim, however, that beginning Feb. 11th they would start limiting bandwidth on the non-PDA plans. (I'm getting EDGE speeds now, we'll see what happens at the end of the week.)
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Check and see how many SMS's & MMS's you are allowed (should show in your account), that will be the clue to which plan you have.
    I can't see that online cuz my account is new (Feb 2nd). I just called (again ) and it is

    1500 text messages
    200 MM
    unlimited MediaNet Web
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitefokes
    He did claim, however, that beginning Feb. 11th they would start limiting bandwidth on the non-PDA plans. (I'm getting EDGE speeds now, we'll see what happens at the end of the week.)
    I'd be interested in more detail on this subject. I wonder what they will consider a non-PDA plan because the new $25/month unlimited "Media Net" will be available to PDAs. "Media Net is available any handset and PDA device (not available on RIM or Data Card)"
    Will they still have a $40 PDA connect plan (with not-limited bandwidth?)

    Perhaps what he meant was that the Media Works package would no longer be sold as unlimited data (because it's switching to 3MB.) Maybe that's what he meant by limiting data.

    I'll be following this.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
  10. #30  
    Is it just me, or does Cing seem completely lost on selling treo 650's? I called up the local store (just blocks from work), they had *2* in stock. Waited 20 minutes until a salesdroid (the manager) was able to help me out. I was ready to sign my name when he informed me that the Mediaworks package was $39.99 for unlimited 'net. I explained I could get it for $19.99 off of their website or P1. He wouldn't budge, said their retail SW program sees a Treo as a "data/PDA" element and bills it at $39.99.

    What the heck is the deal with them?
  11. #31  
    They're uninformed. Buy the Treo, say no thanks to the MediaWorks plan, then after you've activated go to the website, go to My Account, register, and add it there yourself.
  12. #32  
    I went to my local Cingular store yesterday and asked for only the phone with a calling plan and no data. The manager told me she could not sell me a "data phone" without a data plan. She told me that MediaWorks was only designed for the regular phones that did not use as much data, but that the "data phones" need to have a separate plan since they're designed to use more data. To top it off, she said that Cingular will not add a family plan to data phones. The problem with the Cingular stores is that their Corporate driven so they're more concerned about following policy then making a sale. The good news is that I found a Cing rep on the phone who is giving me both MW and the family plan. I'll see for sure in 3-5 days when it comes time to activate.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitefokes
    He did claim, however, that beginning Feb. 11th they would start limiting bandwidth on the non-PDA plans. (I'm getting EDGE speeds now, we'll see what happens at the end of the week.)
    Wow, that would totally suck.

    Maybe I should start a contract with a crap free phone just to hold the MEdia Works at $19.99 unlimited data for a week?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  14. #34  
    Everything he told you is technically correct. That has been the OFFICIAL policy (even the $39.99 data plan) since around October. YES, if you find a rep (phone or store) whose willing to work around it (or doesn't know any better) you can beat it, but that IS the STORE policy ....... at least until Feb 11th. According to what has been posted about the data plan, it looks like it might change (but so will all the other pricing). Even with that in mind most of the store people won't have a clue. Try buying a 650 online. At least in my ZIP (07036) the online system won't let you put it on a family plan and doesn't offer Mediaworks unlimited.
    Quote Originally Posted by treodaddy
    I went to my local Cingular store yesterday and asked for only the phone with a calling plan and no data. The manager told me she could not sell me a "data phone" without a data plan. She told me that MediaWorks was only designed for the regular phones that did not use as much data, but that the "data phones" need to have a separate plan since they're designed to use more data. To top it off, she said that Cingular will not add a family plan to data phones. The problem with the Cingular stores is that their Corporate driven so they're more concerned about following policy then making a sale. The good news is that I found a Cing rep on the phone who is giving me both MW and the family plan. I'll see for sure in 3-5 days when it comes time to activate.
  15. #35  
    That's exactly what you should do to CYA. But then how would you get the 650 if they won't sell it without the PDA plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Wow, that would totally suck.

    Maybe I should start a contract with a crap free phone just to hold the MEdia Works at $19.99 unlimited data for a week?
  16. #36  
    with all this talk of the plan changing in a few days, if i order from TC before then will i still get the unlimited grandfathered plan?
  17. #37  
    Problem is, they probably wouldn't sell it at all without the data plan (if they are following currenty policy to the letter). Catch 22 .. wait till after 2/11, pay more for the voice plans, pay more for the data plans which offer no SMS or MMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    They're uninformed. Buy the Treo, say no thanks to the MediaWorks plan, then after you've activated go to the website, go to My Account, register, and add it there yourself.
  18. #38  
    I got mine at the equipment upgrade price on one of my lines (family talk) and did not have to sign-up for data plan. Also got it last Tuesday.
  19. #39  
    That's a good question. I'd guess NO because the phones are back-ordered and they can't start the plan until they have a phone to ship. I thnk there is going to be a whole lot of problems during this "change over" period when the plans change. Unless maybe they have some sort of ability with Cingular to override the current plans with the old ones based on order date. They better start thinking about it before the SH1T hits the fan. There are going to be a whole lot of people affected by this. It could be a real disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Budda Man
    with all this talk of the plan changing in a few days, if i order from TC before then will i still get the unlimited grandfathered plan?
  20. #40  
    the only thing here is that they won't be violating their customer contracts.

    the only thing you sign up for is a voice plan under contract, everything else is considered an add-on (insurance/mms/text/data) even though they may have requirements for selling the plans (such as pda phones can only be sold with a pda data plan).

    so while they could change the structure of the add-ons, the best thing from a business standpoint is to grandfather existing users.

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    You are correct, they can do what they want. However I doubt that they want to open all their existing contracts to be cancellable without an ETF. I doubt they will want to do that. Any forced change in pricing would void an existing contract.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions