1.    #1  
    For those of you who use SmartDoc to edit documents on their Visors, do you have to have a program like BackupBuddy to hotsync a document you've edited back to your PC? I've checked the "back up at hotsync box" on a document, but I can't see that it is backing up on the PC.

Thanks!
  2. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    GadgetGal,

Check under program files/palm/user name)/backup on the hard drive. You should find the documents there along with all the other things that backup when you hotsink. Hope this helps.

Stephen
  3. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    After looking back at this, I realized I didn't mention that you also need to have a document converter program like PalmDoc that will convert the SmartDoc file from a Palm PDB file to a text file if you want to open the file in Word. Its a little work, but it works out ok.

Stephen
  4.    #4  
    Stephen,

Thanks for the reply. I have Palm Doc, but I feel like a dunce...I still can't find my SmartDoc generated documents in my backup folder! I looked in the user name backup, and found my datebook.dat with the date of my last backup (yesterday), but nothing from SmartDoc. Any idea what I must be doing wrong? Thanks again for taking the time to respond!
  5.    #5  
    Stephen,

Thanks so much for your reply. I do have Palm Doc, but I still can't find the pdb that should be in my backup folder! I feel so stupid! I found my datebook.dat, address.dat, etc. all dated the last time I backed up (yesterday), but nothing from SmartDoc. What must I be doing wrong??
    Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my question!
  6. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    The backup files are listed by the name you give them in SmartDoc. When I start a new doc in SmartDoc, I hit the Info button and give the document a title. When I sync, the document is listed in backup by that title. Sounds like you are already doing that, and if so, I don't have a clue what is going on. I guess you could try to re-install SmartDoc, but then you might loose your files. I've looked over the preferences, but I don't find anything else that I have selected that effects syncing. I wish I had better help for you. We are probably going to find something simple we are both overlooking!!

Good luck.
    Stephen
  7.    #7  
    Stephen,

Thanks again for trying to figure it out for me! I e-mailed tech support at cesinc.com and after a couple of e-mails, they were able to help me. Turns out I had my custom hotsync system setting turned to "do nothing"- I did this some time ago to speed up my hotsyncs at work because I have so many extra applications on my Visor. Once I changed it to "Handheld overwrites Desktop" all was fine. But thanks again for trying to help. It's embarrassing to think it was something so simple!

Kim