Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is the phone app sluggishness fixed in GSM 650? Please don't bother telling me there is no such problem on the Sprint 650 (my second unit with the same problem), because yesterday I selected a phone number from my contacts and it must have been a FULL 5 seconds before a blank white screen went away and the number was dialed. I have had (2) 300's, (5) 600's, and (2) 650's ... the 300 and 600 never had this problem, it is a problem not a perception issue but a real extended delay that varies in duration and occurs in a few different places.

So is it gone in the GSM version???
    Well speaking for myself, it is instant screen switch and call connects within 3-5 seconds. I notice no delay.
    I'd say the problem lies in the Sprint version of the Phone app then. Seems like I heard from someone @ Samsung that Sprint has some screwy UI requirements that don't always work out well and cause unstability in the phones......maybe we've got a similar issue?
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Maybe it's because this is my first cellphone, but WHAT DELAY?! I punch in the number, it dials, a second or two of connect, and it rings. I wouldn't expect it to ring immediately after dialing the last number any more than I would expect it to ring immediately on a land line.

Tom
    Same here, no delays, I'm on a Sprint version of the 650.
    The delay is seen when you are in your contacts list and click a number there to dial..white screen appears for a few seconds before the "dialing" screen shows up. The delay seems to be minimal for me on my GSM 650, maybe 1-2 second at the most.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Yup, about 1 or 2 seconds on mine too. Cingular 650 (GSM).
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Ok, so..... is 1 - 2 seconds normal, or does this mean that the GSM 650 has the same problem?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    As has been discussed before this is a percieved delay. The actual dial time is the same on a 600 and a 650. The differnce is that the 600 goes to the "dialing scree" almost imediately, while the 650 goes to a white screen. Try it with a 600 and a 650 side by side on speaker phone...almost no noticable diffence in time to the first ring!!!
    THus there is no problem on the gsm 650 since there was not one on the cdma 650.
  10.    #10  
    You are have no idea what you're talking about. I have tested these phones side by side, and there is no question an unusual delay exists. Moreover, the delay varies as much as +/- 3 to 4 seconds. Dialing does not begin until the blank white screen goes away (which can be displayed for up to 5 seconds all by itself), and then once the phone app screen appears indicating that dialing is in progress you have an additional 1-2 second delay.

Frankly, I don't care to quibble about whether the delay exists, I know it as does PalmOne. Whatever the cause, it needs to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C
    As has been discussed before this is a percieved delay. The actual dial time is the same on a 600 and a 650.
    A suggestion for Sprint handsets: Try changing the dial method to dial names instead of numbers in the Phone | General Preferences dialog. The option is a drop list containing: Typing Dials phone number and Typing starts COntacts search. If you set the option to Contacts search the delay goes away on Sprint phones. It is a good workaround until palmOne fixes the bug in a ROM update.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Let me clarify my point....
    On both phones with a "normal" number of contacts (less than 100) there is no delay.
    While the 650 "seems" to have a delay due to the white screen, the 600 takes just as long to generate a dial tone and dial the number. That is why you measure by the first ring note, not by what the screen says. I am sure shadowmite or someone could write an app that will force the screen to go to the dialing screen as opposed to the white screen. This would fix "most" of the percieved dial delay issues.
    I have no doubt that you may experince a delay that is significant, but I also dont doubt that you have 1000 of contacts since that seems to be a common trait on those with a severe form of this bug.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I have had both the Sprint and Cingular versions. There is a definite delay in dialing on the Sprint version but there is no delay with the GSM Cingular version.
    Lisa G.
    Editor in Chief
    www.MobileTechReview.com
    Actually Aaron, I disagree. Sort of. 90% of the time, you are right and there is no real delay. That being said, every once in a while (1 in 10 is a guess) I get a real, significant delay 5+ seconds. I never waited that long on my 600. I have 175 contacts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
    I overclock the phone and contact app to over 500 Mhz and the calling is now nearly instant. Not a great solution but it appears to work.

Install PXA Clocker 4.3 from... hexview.com/pxa
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    02flhrci:
    Is this in the same call area, are you moving. I think that 10% is most likely due to network traffic or general signal issues. You see the same thing all the time with a "regular" cell phone in marginal signal areas and in heavy usage areas durring peak times.
    I had an ATT phone that would never dial during rush hour on 285 near 20 in Atl.
    It would dial, (screen would display number and say "dialing....") then after 10-15 seconds, no service would flash and the phone would hang up.

I am by no means a TREO appologist. I have had my share of frustration with the 650, and am constantly hanging up on dialed numbers from this issue myself ( I hit dial, think I missed the button and hit it again only to see it dial then die a few seconds later).
    Even though I suffer from the impatience, I still think it is a "perception" issue. I would put good money down on any "fix" from Sprint will be nothing more than painting the screen immediatly after hitting dial and remove the white screen altogether.
    Aaron C:

Maybe, but to me it seems like the entire phone completely freezes for the 5-10 seconds...button presses do nothing, etc. Who knows?? There is too much good (for me anyway) about the phone to b!tch about something this minor.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    A suggestion for Sprint handsets: Try changing the dial method to dial names instead of numbers in the Phone | General Preferences dialog. The option is a drop list containing: Typing Dials phone number and Typing starts COntacts search. If you set the option to Contacts search the delay goes away on Sprint phones. It is a good workaround until palmOne fixes the bug in a ROM update.
    This does nothing for me in terms of speeding up the dialing. The delay is there whether I set it to dial numbers or search contacts. I have about 900 contact entries and the delay is usually about 5-7 seconds. I do have similar delays in switching between certain, but not all, other applications.
    Do you have Agendus on your Treo? And if you do, have you selected 'Mute During Meetings'? The file that is created as a result of this results in lags between applications. Deleting the Agendus Mute file took care of it for me.....

Quote Originally Posted by curtiscarmack
    I do have similar delays in switching between certain, but not all, other applications.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmster
    Do you have Agendus on your Treo? And if you do, have you selected 'Mute During Meetings'? The file that is created as a result of this results in lags between applications. Deleting the Agendus Mute file took care of it for me.....
    I've never tried Agendus.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast