Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    how much memory should I buy? i just bought a treo and i'm a complete noob on its features. I was looking to get a 512 originally, but others talked about a 1gb, so i'm gonna try to cancel my 512mb for now until i see what other people say.

the only reason I can think of right now to get a 1gb is to play full length movies, possibly in compressed divx (if that's even possible on the treo). are there any others I haven't thought of yet?
    Check out Silverado's power user setup thread on this board. You'll find plenty of uses, if at the very least to turn your Treo into a 1GB MP3 player (all MP3s are stored on the SD card).
    Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    MP3's and PalmOS applications are the most common use for an SD card, followed by storing pics from the built-in camera. After that there are quite a few of us storing .avi or .mpg movie files for use with mmplayer. I also have my dictionary database stored on the SD card.
    I've got TomTom maps on mine, plus I run daily backups with BackupMan and keep multiple archive sets. Plus, all my non-essential apps are on there. I haven't gotten into MP3s and video on the Treo yet, but I have 500MB left to work with on my 1GB card! I'd say go with a 1GB, you'll find something to do with it.
    Palmone has a free SD card offer for 650 owners. You may want to check the support section of their website for more info. If I remember correctly, it is only a 128mb card.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    as much as you can afford
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaver99
    as much as you can afford

Agreed, get the largest you can afford to purchase. Larger the card you have, more mp3's, pics, movies and apps you can store on your Treo...it's as simple as that...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    OfficeMax has a 1GB Lexar SD card this week for $60 after a rebate. I bought one yesterday, seems to work fine. And my free 128K one from Palm should be here within a day or two - I got the shipping notice on Friday.
    I would not only buy the largest, but fastest you can afford. Taking pictures suffers a bit when saving to a regular 'ol SD card. The Sandisk Ultra IIs are very fast.

EDIT: I just ordered the SanDisk Extreme III 1GB card for $114 at Adorama.com. It has twice the throughout of the Ultra II - 20MB/sec.
    Last edited by ZBoater; 02/07/2005 at 09:17 AM.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Does anyone know what is the throughput of the card device in the treo 600 / 650 is? seems there is no reason to keep buying faster cards if the device has a limit.
    I refer to the idea of spending more on a usb 2.0 device to run faster when all your computer has is a 1.1 port.
  11.    #11  
    9/10 mb/sec seems more than adequate... is there really that much of a difference with the 20 mb/sec?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    Does anyone know what is the throughput of the card device in the treo 600 / 650 is? seems there is no reason to keep buying faster cards if the device has a limit.
    In mb/s... not I.

But what I do have is some experimental data over in this thread that implies the Treo600/650 is the bottleneck for SD card speed.

ERic
    Quote Originally Posted by chill2k66
    how much memory should I buy? i just bought a treo and i'm a complete noob on its features. I was looking to get a 512 originally, but others talked about a 1gb, so i'm gonna try to cancel my 512mb for now until i see what other people say.

the only reason I can think of right now to get a 1gb is to play full length movies, possibly in compressed divx (if that's even possible on the treo). are there any others I haven't thought of yet?
    512 is a lot. I have 256, use it for e-books and GPS maps. 256 is a lot.

On the other hand, the cost of 1G has fallen through $100-. That is far and away the lowest cost per byte.
    2 GIG Ultra II SanDisk shipping the 10th. Music, Music, Music and pics!
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    2 GIG Ultra II SanDisk shipping the 10th. Music, Music, Music and pics!
    How much and from where??...
    Since you received your 650 , your avatar has gone on steroids it seems....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  17.    #17  
    i'm thinking of getting the 1g ultra II or 1gb extreme III... what do you guys think.. $85 and $110. is it worth the cost?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    How much and from where??...
    Since you received your 650 , your avatar has gone on steroids it seems....
    I'm witing for the 50GB card
    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Sprint TP-3000 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650
    Hey guys, the SanDisk is sold out at many places. Do you have a second favorite brand that you respect and is a good value for the dollar?

Thanks
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    The Treo 650 can't take advantage of the new 20 MB/s speed of the SanDisk Extreme III. It will run at approximately the same speed as with the Ultra II. The only reason to get the Extreme III is if you think you'll have other devices that will take advantage of it (such as a card reader for your computer that can handle the new mode).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast