Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43
  1.    #21  
    thanks for the info... i could have wasted 30 on a card that didn't i didn't need. looks like i'm going with the ultra II
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by CySurflex
    I'm waiting for the 50GB card
    You will probably have it before we have unlocked GSM 650s.
  3. #23  
    Hey, I have to order memory this week. Obviously, the SanDisk Ultra II 1Gig is way back ordered. I need some quality, trusted manufacturer that you all know and love. Please? Links to vendors is appreciated
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  4. #24  
    ATP .... (60x/10MS/s per spec). Got my 1gig from eCost.com under $100 delivered FEDEX priority. Ordered last night (Tues) at 10PM and it was just delivered. <12hrs from order to delivery.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Hey, I have to order memory this week. Obviously, the SanDisk Ultra II 1Gig is way back ordered. I need some quality, trusted manufacturer that you all know and love. Please? Links to vendors is appreciated
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    How much and from where??...
    Since you received your 650 , your avatar has gone on steroids it seems....
    $170 from CDWG (Gov't) price free shipping. Should ship by Monday.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    $170 from CDWG (Gov't) price free shipping. Should ship by Monday.
    Thanks
    That's helpful!!
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by chill2k66
    thanks for the info... i could have wasted 30 on a card that didn't i didn't need. looks like i'm going with the ultra II
    I wouldnt call it a waste. Although I have no reason to doubt the claim that it makes no difference, I haven't seen any performance results to back that up. Also, you will most likely be transferring data to that card through a card reader from your PC (syncing 1GB of stuff is slooooooooooow no matter what card you use), so you will be able to take advatage of the speed there. Plus, when the Treo 700 comes out, you wont have to upgrade SD cards And for a $600 phone, $30 for double the speed on the SD card is not a complete waste. Maybe just a little waste.
  8. ERicJ's Avatar
    Posts
    758 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Although I have no reason to doubt the claim that it makes no difference, I haven't seen any performance results to back that up.
    See this thread for relevant performance results on Lexar "high speed" cards in a Treo.

    ERic
  9. z3bum's Avatar
    Posts
    717 Posts
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    #29  
    I have a 1gb SD card with barely 100 megs free. 28 megs are used by Backup Buddy to store the Treo's memory for emergency restores, about 100 megs worth of the coolest Palm OS apps, games and utilities, about 20 megs in a download directory that I can dump onto someone else's Palm to loan them my favorite apps to 'evaluate', and about 700 megs of music. No space for movies! Which is why I want to get a 2gb! Anyway, I would get the largest card you can afford, you will find more uses for it than you can ever imagine. The 650 should make a great photo album displayer, since the 600 does this passably well with half the resolution. I need to try MMplayer to see if that will play Divx movies without having to mess with them.

    Quote Originally Posted by chill2k66
    how much memory should I buy? i just bought a treo and i'm a complete noob on its features. I was looking to get a 512 originally, but others talked about a 1gb, so i'm gonna try to cancel my 512mb for now until i see what other people say.

    the only reason I can think of right now to get a 1gb is to play full length movies, possibly in compressed divx (if that's even possible on the treo). are there any others I haven't thought of yet?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    See this thread for relevant performance results on Lexar "high speed" cards in a Treo.

    ERic.
    Interesting thread. They are reporting VFSMark speeds in the 200 range, yet when you go to the database and check the speeds on various cards (Sandisk, for example) on a Treo 650, VFSMark ranges from 179 to 619!!! This tells me there IS a significant speed difference between cards - the fact that the Lexar brand tested in this thread didn't show it is topic for another discussion. Follow this link

    http://heller.ca/cgi-local/palm/card...etail=detailed

    to see all the Sandisk results on a Treo650.
  11. #31  
    I just added my results from an ATP 1 GIG card. VFSMark almost 500. Ran it 3 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Interesting thread. They are reporting VFSMark speeds in the 200 range, yet when you go to the database and check the speeds on various cards (Sandisk, for example) on a Treo 650, VFSMark ranges from 179 to 619!!! This tells me there IS a significant speed difference between cards - the fact that the Lexar brand tested in this thread didn't show it is topic for another discussion. Follow this link

    http://heller.ca/cgi-local/palm/card...etail=detailed

    to see all the Sandisk results on a Treo650.
  12. #32  
    Here is a thread on Sandisk regular vs. Sandisk Ultra

    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=50633

    I just did a VFSMark on my 512MB Kingston SD card and got 408. I should be getting the Extreme today or tomorrow, so we'll see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed!!!
    Last edited by ZBoater; 02/11/2005 at 10:17 AM.
  13. ERicJ's Avatar
    Posts
    758 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Interesting thread. They are reporting VFSMark speeds in the 200 range, yet when you go to the database and check the speeds on various cards (Sandisk, for example) on a Treo 650, VFSMark ranges from 179 to 619!!! This tells me there IS a significant speed difference between cards - the fact that the Lexar brand tested in this thread didn't show it is topic for another discussion. Follow this link

    http://heller.ca/cgi-local/palm/card...etail=detailed

    to see all the Sandisk results on a Treo650.
    I definately believe there are older, slower cards out there, i.e. the 179 numbers. However I don't believe the 619's in the database. I can generate a VFSMark number like that in my Treo650 with either of my freshly formatted Lexar cards. But any subsequent run yields more nominal results. I suspect a not-insignificant number of people have submitted test results from virgin formatted cards to the database, thus skewing the data.

    I'm looking forward to seeing the numbers from your new card, I hope you'll post.

    ERic
  14.    #34  
    the divx movies that I have, which are around 600-1300 mb's, should be uncompressed from divx -> avi and then from avi -> another comprable compression since the 320x320 screen won't be able to show the resolution that most divx movies have. Now, has anybody converted a movie to a treo-type resolution? if so, how long did that take? i hear regular compression-decompression takes around an hour.
  15. ERicJ's Avatar
    Posts
    758 Posts
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by chill2k66
    Now, has anybody converted a movie to a treo-type resolution? if so, how long did that take? i hear regular compression-decompression takes around an hour.
    There are a lot of threads regarding treo-resolution movies over in the Multimedia forum.
  16. #36  
    Yes, I use Kinoma Producer/Player. Takes a couple hours (on a striped raid P4 3ghz box). Looks and sounds great. File size is under 4-500mb and it an MP4 file.
    Quote Originally Posted by chill2k66
    the divx movies that I have, which are around 600-1300 mb's, should be uncompressed from divx -> avi and then from avi -> another comprable compression since the 320x320 screen won't be able to show the resolution that most divx movies have. Now, has anybody converted a movie to a treo-type resolution? if so, how long did that take? i hear regular compression-decompression takes around an hour.
  17. #37  
    First things first, get your free 128 MB Memory Card from pa1mOne.

    Secondly, consider what you will possibly carry on it.

    I have multiple Bibles and related files, a dictionary, pictures, MP3s, Movies and Seinfeld TV shows, Microsoft documents (Excel, Powerpoint, Word), Palm Apps, Backup images (or file) containing all of the information on the handheld RAM. I keep installation files for alterative browsers (Firefox, etc - because I run into people who have infected IE browsers and are not allowed to browse to get the fix for the problem). I keep many files like this that are not related to the palm (used like a USB flash drive).

    The point is that you will find uses above the palm since you have it all the time.

    Thirdly, consider what you considered above and add some more MB for the things you will want to add because you underestimated the 2nd point.

    Fourthly (is that a word!?), determine the the Card size you might need. You have to consider price, not just the price of the card but the cost of being wrong. I you do like I did for my first card; I got the 128MB instead of the 256MB that ws only 30 more (now the 1GB is the price of what I paid for the 256MB SD). Then I got a 512 card and then another 512 SD. Now I carry a 512 in the device. I carry a 128MB and a 512MB in the carrying slots of my case. The 256MB I keep in the USB card reader mounted to my belt. Moral of the story is the largest card you can the first time. When I got mine, the larger cards were scarce and expensive.

    So not getting the right card might result in you having to buy a case or other method to card the extra cards.

    Today you have affordable options - I say get the 1GB SD and call it a day.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

    Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    2483274973
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    First things first, get your free 128 MB Memory Card from pa1mOne.

    Secondly, consider what you will possibly carry on it.

    I have multiple Bibles and related files, a dictionary, pictures, MP3s, Movies and Seinfeld TV shows, Microsoft documents (Excel, Powerpoint, Word), Palm Apps, Backup images (or file) containing all of the information on the handheld RAM. I keep installation files for alterative browsers (Firefox, etc - because I run into people who have infected IE browsers and are not allowed to browse to get the fix for the problem). I keep many files like this that are not related to the palm (used like a USB flash drive).

    The point is that you will find uses above the palm since you have it all the time.

    Thirdly, consider what you considered above and add some more MB for the things you will want to add because you underestimated the 2nd point.

    Fourthly (is that a word!?), determine the the Card size you might need. You have to consider price, not just the price of the card but the cost of being wrong. I you do like I did for my first card; I got the 128MB instead of the 256MB that ws only 30 more (now the 1GB is the price of what I paid for the 256MB SD). Then I got a 512 card and then another 512 SD. Now I carry a 512 in the device. I carry a 128MB and a 512MB in the carrying slots of my case. The 256MB I keep in the USB card reader mounted to my belt. Moral of the story is the largest card you can the first time. When I got mine, the larger cards were scarce and expensive.

    So not getting the right card might result in you having to buy a case or other method to card the extra cards.

    Today you have affordable options - I say get the 1GB SD and call it a day.
    "Data expands to fill the space available to store it in." When I got into IT a machine readable gigabyte would fill a boxcar and cost more than a 1gig SD card to move it a mile. Buy the card that gives the lowest price per byte. Right now that is a 1gig card. Last year it was 512m; in a year it will be 2 gigs if not 5.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    "Data expands to fill the space available to store it in." When I got into IT a machine readable gigabyte would fill a boxcar and cost more than a 1gig SD card to move it a mile. Buy the card that gives the lowest price per byte. Right now that is a 1gig card. Last year it was 512m; in a year it will be 2 gigs if not 5.

    However if you were to sell these babies on ebay when 4 gb card comes out . You will get more of your intial spending , out of 2 gb than 1 gb.
  20. #40  
    I bought the 1GB 60x ATP, got it for $82 shipped from onsale.com, seemed by far to be the best all-around deal in terms of size/speed/price.
    1 | 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions