Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    just curious what all the mac users here think is the best solution for interracting w/ your 650's... i've read in the past that missing sync is the best option but is that still the case? i haven't even tried the bundled Palm Desktop client yet, wanted to know what everyone else is using? thx in advance all..!
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    It works great for me, very easy, the way most things work on a Mac. You can sync without it, but it's well worth the money, especially if you use Entourage. Plus, these guys are really commited to the Mac platform. Works very well, and they support lots of conduits, ie Pocket Quicken which I use all the time.
    MS is the only way to go on the mac. The advantages have been discussed in detail on the Mac and Treo Forum. But to summarize quickly:

Conduit Profiles
    Excellent reset recovery
    iTunes integration
    iPhoto integration
    SD card mounting
    Fabulous support (as mentioned above)
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Nothing against Missing Sync (I've actually bought it before but not used it with the Treo 650) but unless you have a specific need for it's features, the included Palm software works fine.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    A fellow Mac lover suggested that Missing Sync be used, and you trash the Palm Software completely. Which I couldn't agree with more cause Palm Desktop is still a dated version of a Claris application.

By Trashing Palm desktop you can still use your Addressbook and iCal to set appointments and addresses, and you can use Missing Sync to fill in the rest.

and I feel this forum being moved shortly...
    Last edited by neps; 02/07/2005 at 06:27 AM.
    current: GSM Unlocked, SonyEricsson T610 Unlocked
    macuser: AI 1.5 & Pismo 500
    Palm Desktop and iSync work just fine. If you don't need any of the added functionality in Missing Sync, you are just throwing money away.
    Absolutely. If there are features in Missing Sync you want go for it. Otherwise you aren't gaining anything. For example to synch with iSync for address and calendar, it's still using the Apple iSync conduit just like the Palm software would so there is no difference in functionality there.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisutley
    Palm Desktop and iSync work just fine. If you don't need any of the added functionality in Missing Sync, you are just throwing money away.
    Note, to a comment above. You do NOT trash the palm software. MS actually works with the palm desktop software. It gives you the choice, thats the point. Also gives you the choice of other contact/calendar/to-do software, that have palm conduits. Including Mac address book, calendar, and to-do's. In addition, it lets you do a ton of other things. Go to the MarkSpace.com site and review the features. The checkboxes to enable/disable the different conduits are worth the price alone. I can definitely suggest it for any mac user. I am/was a beta tester for the latest version, and I am continually amazed at how quickly they fix problems due to OS updates etc. And they keep adding features! Slick company.
    I am also a current user of MS... It works well...but for me the Enotorage has issues. When I choose syncronize as the option for my contacts, it never truely syncs becasue it seems that Enorage is given priority to overide my Treo. Thus, I loose those contacts or updates I made on the Treo. I never had this problem with Palm Desktop contacts.

-CK
    Abut a year ago, I used a Tungsten T-3 and attempted to sync with my PowerBook G4. I used Hotsync with iSync. The most glaring omission was that my event locations would not sync. Invariably, they would not transfer from the Mac to to Palm, and before long all the locations would be wiped out.

Now I use a PowerMac G5 and I'm thinking about a Treo 650. I keep remembering the synchronization issues and wondering if that still happens. Does Missing Sync allow for synchronizing event locations from iCal? Or, if the locations are entered in the Treo 650, do they sync and transfer to iCal?

What fields are excluded during synchronization?

Thanks!
    David
    Syncing with iCal, the Apple iSync Palm conduit is used. Whether you use a T-3 or Treo 650 or Palm software or Missing Sync the same limitation will remain. I don't use the location field myself in iCal, but if it didn't transfer to your T-3 it's not going to be any different with the Treo 650 and using Missing Sync won't make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by defii
    Abut a year ago, I used a Tungsten T-3 and attempted to sync with my PowerBook G4. I used Hotsync with iSync. The most glaring omission was that my event locations would not sync. Invariably, they would not transfer from the Mac to to Palm, and before long all the locations would be wiped out.

Now I use a PowerMac G5 and I'm thinking about a Treo 650. I keep remembering the synchronization issues and wondering if that still happens. Does Missing Sync allow for synchronizing event locations from iCal? Or, if the locations are entered in the Treo 650, do they sync and transfer to iCal?

What fields are excluded during synchronization?

Thanks!
    Being a (former) MS owner/user I found that sync was not the issue for me, back-up was. I am still using Palm Desktop, if only for the easy back-up funtionality. I know there are other back-up programs such and BackUp Buddy etc. but I can't see any advantage using 3 programs when 1 will do it for me.
    If you don't need or plan to use the extra features, it probably is a waste of money. But honestly, to me the conduit profiles feature (and the ability to just check off which conduits you want to use on the fly) alone is worth the price. If there was a Windows version I'd consider buying it for my work PC.
    Dave
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I love Missing Sync. No problems with it at all.
    Ditto. Even if you argue it's added functionality, I don't think you can really argue against it's added conveniences....and the ante for those alone may be too much for some.

Quote Originally Posted by emtkopan
    I love Missing Sync. No problems with it at all.
    Just to confirm, if all I want to do is sync my calendar and address book to Entourage with a 650, do I need MS or will the included software work. Also, would I even need the included software at all or could I somehow just configure iSync to sync Entourage via bluetooth?

Thanks,
    TM
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Nothing against Missing Sync (I've actually bought it before but not used it with the Treo 650) but unless you have a specific need for it's features, the included Palm software works fine.
    I have to agree. The bundled Palm Desktop and hotsync works fine. The only really useful feature of Missing Sync is that it mounts the SD card on my desktop. The mounted card allows the card to appear in itunes and iphoto like any other hard drive. However, one can easily move data to the card with the Palm's hotsync just as well.

Personally, I much prefer the Palm Desktop to ical, etc. Also, the Missing Sinc Memo pad is awful, so Palm gets the nod there. Clearly, Missing Sync has a very limited value to me other than mounting the SD card. If Apple improved organizing applications, such as iCal and Addressbook, etc. then it might be a different story.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    check with microsoft. there is a conduit available which allows tou to sync to entourage instead of ical or palm desktop. it's on microsoft's mac webpage but I can't remember the web address. I have used the palm desktop longer than ical or the Mac address book but I don't like Palm's version of the desktop for Macs so I'm making the switch to ical but am keeping Palm's memo pad
    Here?

Quote Originally Posted by emtkopan
    check with microsoft. there is a conduit available which allows tou to sync to entourage instead of ical or palm desktop. it's on microsoft's mac webpage but I can't remember the web address. I have used the palm desktop longer than ical or the Mac address book but I don't like Palm's version of the desktop for Macs so I'm making the switch to ical but am keeping Palm's memo pad
    Remember, you can always keep the palm memo pad with MissingSync. All you have to do to eliminate MS's memo pad, is simply delete the conduit and the application.

Also, I have a feeling SOME here have not used MS to its full extent. Lets talk about other things you can do with MS. Connect to your internet connection, via the cradle and the mac. (much faster for doing a full sync with avantgo for example) MS shows up in Itunes, as a place to drop your tunes, should you want to carry them on your treo (I do) Simple movement of pics to and from your SD card. A number of other things. Its simply just a cool way of doing things. Whatever toots your horn. I use it because it offers you a bunch of options and abilities, you simply don't have with the stock Palm Desktop, or stock Isync. Matter of fact, you can use MS's extended abilities WITH isync and Palm Desktop. Depends on what you want to do!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast