1.    #1  
    Last night I upgraded to PocketTunes Deluxe and started playing around with ShoutCast stations....and WOW!!! Amazing!! Suddenly my Treo 650 took an enormous leap forward in useability and value to me!!

I've only bookmarked three stations so far...
    NPR
    Mostly Classic
    Crystal One [Talk] (been having Howard Stern on for an hour now)

Amazing...amazing..amazing....

Now I really need that hybrid headset....
    Funny you mention that, I just installed the Shoutcast server on my home computer this morning. And in a few minutes I was listening to my mp3 connection with ptunes and sprint! I have cable internet at home, not one lag at 22 mono while down in my basement with only 2 bars of service - I may try to bump up the quality.
    Lately, I've been hooking up my Treo to the tape adapter I have for my XM satellite in my car and I have been very impressed with the sound. There are more jazz stations available than with XM, and they have several comedy stations, talk radio (everything I listen to) - so I cancelled my XM subscription a few weeks back. Some of the higher quality Shoutcast stations seem to sound nearly as good or better than the compressed XM audio through the speakers of my Blazer. Not too bad on battery life either, I especially like how you can turn off the screen and ptunes keeps playing. Too bad we can't figure out how to upgrade the built in speakers of the Treo650.
    Hi Tiffany! Which NPR station are you listening to? I can't figure out how to get KQED through Shoutcast/PTunes.

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
  4.    #4  
    Oh I'd love KQED if that would be available.

What's the best News station you've found?

For NPR...when on the main page of shoutcast seach for "Public Radio" and you'll see www.npr.org - National Public Radio
    The thing I don't like about Shoutcast, is that with the CDMA phones, calls go straight to voice mail. So if you're listening for hours on end and an emergency call comes through, you're SOL.

ouzome,

If you run your own server, does it have to be public on shoutcast, or can you keep it private so that you're the only one who can access it?
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    The thing I don't like about Shoutcast, is that with the CDMA phones, calls go straight to voice mail.
    The same is true for GSM phones.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Oh I'd love KQED if that would be available.

What's the best News station you've found?

For NPR...when on the main page of shoutcast seach for "Public Radio" and you'll see www.npr.org - National Public Radio
    Thanks for the NPR link! I tried going directly to www.npr.org, and couldn't figure out how to get the feed.

The ones I listen to are KGO San Francisco, KCRW WorldNews, and AP News.

Search for KCRW and AP News at shoutcast.com; go to http://www.kgoam810.com for the KGO feed.

The NPR feed is a lot quieter than the others; good thing Pocket Tunes has a volume boost feature.

tanster
    Pablo - You can have the server private, and you can also set it up to allow only one connection.
    fyi - treobits is the easiest way to bookmark stations
  9.    #9  
    Tanster,

I can't seem to find KGO in Shoutcast - and the MP3 link on KGO's homepage doesnt work for me. What do you search for in Shoutcast to find the link there?

Also - how is the AP news feed working out for you - I get a lot of buffering when using it.
    Last edited by Tiffany; 02/06/2005 at 07:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Tanster,

I can't seem to find KGO in Shoutcast - and the MP3 link on KGO's homepage doesnt work for me. What do you search for in Shoutcast to find the link there?

Also - how is the AP news feed working out for you - I get a lot of buffering when using it.
    From Blazer, go to http://www.kgoam810.com/listenlive/listenlive.pls

Just tried listening to AP News, and didn't get any buffering. Occasionally I will, but it's never so much that it's a problem....

tanster
    Thanks for the information ouzome.

xenophonite,

I've never tried one, but it's my understanding that the GSM models will interrupt the data session and the call will "barge" in, then the data session will resume once the call ends. Maybe I'm mistaken, though.
  12.    #12  
    Tanster - that worked for KGO - thanks!!

I've had AP News on for the last 20 mins and it's buffering quite a bit for me - maybe a 'break' every 20-30 seconds or so (my phone reception is at two bars).
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    www.treobits.com has many treo friendly shoutcast links in their shoutcast section.
    What's even cooler is you can listen to > 96kbps feeds by rebroadcasting through www.gloonet.com
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Thanks for the information ouzome.

xenophonite,

I've never tried one, but it's my understanding that the GSM models will interrupt the data session and the call will "barge" in, then the data session will resume once the call ends. Maybe I'm mistaken, though.
    There are several who have tried it with PocketTunes. GSM 650 calls will go to voicemail when there is ACTIVE data, no different than CDMA.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    There are several who have tried it with PocketTunes. GSM 650 calls will go to voicemail when there is ACTIVE data, no different than CDMA.
    I know this is an old thread, but I found it today when I was searching for information on Shoutcast and pTunes. Anyway, I don't believe this is true. I have a Treo 650 w/Cingular (i.e., GSM). When I am in the midst of streaming audio, if a call comes in the stream stops and I can take my call. When I hang up, the stream rebuffers and starts up again. Pretty slick, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by shepardm
    I know this is an old thread, but I found it today when I was searching for information on Shoutcast and pTunes. Anyway, I don't believe this is true. I have a Treo 650 w/Cingular (i.e., GSM). When I am in the midst of streaming audio, if a call comes in the stream stops and I can take my call. When I hang up, the stream rebuffers and starts up again. Pretty slick, really.
    Yeah, with GSM, it's a different channel for the data. When I get a call while streaming shoutcasts, P-Tunes pauses and the call comes through.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by eflightcentral
    Yeah, with GSM, it's a different channel for the data. When I get a call while streaming shoutcasts, P-Tunes pauses and the call comes through.

Steve
    Crap! Tell me again, why didn't I get GSM?
    Quote Originally Posted by tanster
    From Blazer, go to http://www.kgoam810.com/listenlive/listenlive.pls

Just tried listening to AP News, and didn't get any buffering. Occasionally I will, but it's never so much that it's a problem....

The KGO feed is now:

http://rope.kgoam810.com/listenlive/listenlive.pls
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."