Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi-

I got my 650 a couple of months ago, and just the other day I begin having random soft resets: surfing the web, when calls came in, when the 650 was fully charged, etc. I searched Treo Central, and someone recommended trying the DBscan program from Pimlico Software, the makers of Datebk5. I have never used Datebk5, but supposedly it fixes problems in the native PalmOS Date Book. I downloaded the utility (free at http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/utilities.htm) and sure enough it found 2 errors in my datebook. I deleted the corrupt records, and my phone has been flawless since. There were certain thing I used to be able to do to crash the phone every time, and they no longer cause resets. For those that are having lots of resets, I highly recommend that you try this. Good Luck!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
    I just ran dbScan on my 650, and it did find 2 old entries that were corrupt. We'll see it if fixes the random resets now. It usually seems to happen when I get an SMS, so I won't know whether that fixes it or not for a little while.
  3.    #3  
    Keleko-

For me it was like flipping a switch. One minute I had resets, and the next I didn't. If you want, PM me your # and I will SMS you!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
    Auto cycling soft resets = Palmsource's newest Screen Saver Feature
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    Quote Originally Posted by 2smart4phone
    Auto cycling soft resets = Palmsource's newest Screen Saver Feature
    ...and I thought you liked your TREO 650!!!!!
    help.. my treo just began reseting over and over and over again. how do i make it stop. I am sure glad cingular waited to get the bugs out this @#@#@$@#$@$
    Quote Originally Posted by calvins
    help.. my treo just began reseting over and over and over again. how do i make it stop. I am sure glad cingular waited to get the bugs out this @#@#@$@#$@$
    Kinda hard to help not knowing what, if anything, you did to it. Did you install new software? Did it happen after a hotsync? Did you drop it on the floor? Did you get too close to a nuclear reactor?

You can try doing a soft reset, then a system reset, and as a last resort do a hard reset. Remember hard resets erase all your data. If you can't figure out what caused it, I would recommend not hotsyncing all your old apps all at the same time. Reinstall them one by one to see if you can narrow down which one is causing the problem. Look in your instruction manual index under rest (page 168 in mine) and it will explain to you how to do each of the three types of resets.
    My IT guy got my chatter mail to receive emails this morning. I had change my xpress mail setting to text me if I have an important message. Everything was working fine until 10 min. ago I looked over and the boot cycle was running over and over agan. I had to hard reset the phone
  9.    #9  
    Calvins-

If you check out the Developer's section, there is a Chatter Email section. Marc (Chatter's programmer) is really helpful. It seems that there may be an issue with Chatter and GSM phones, although I don't know this for sure.

I think I should have titled this thread: "For those who are having random reset issues...NOT related to third party software" lol
    What email is Chatter getting? Xpressmail just gets mail from some other POP server or from your desktop. I tried it but decided against it. Since leaving a PC connected to my office network is not an option for me, I created a rule in Outlook (server-side rule) to forward all my work messages to my personal POP account. I then configured Chatter to sync up with that. If you did a hard reset, try doing Chatter only and see if you can get that going - Chatter should not be creating repeating reboots. It maybe something else wrong, maybe even hardware related. Is it Sprint, Cingular, AT&T, unlocked?
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    ...and I thought you liked your TREO 650!!!!!
    GWB, I love my treo. It's easily become my best friend. Won't replace my wife though. She'll kill me if I even think it. If it were to happen, I'd be dead and I won't be able to post on Treocentral anymore via my Treo650.
    Ahhh, I've got 16 errors, but the program has no documentation and I am too scared to continue and delete the records.....Ahhhhh!@

Ok, deep breath....
    OK, I figured it out. There is some great documentation in the software help. It explained all the options. I have deleted the 16 db entries. Can't wait to get home and sync...
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    This excellent utility found 1 error on my Treo, but once I told it to delete the record, a pop up window says to sync "handheld overwrites desktop" which is the default, so I keep getting an error log after every sync. I'm sure it's something very simple that I'm missing. Anyone know what to do?
    I posted this in another thread. It applies here too..

In the past week or so I have also started having soft resets often. It was driving me nuts. Nothing had changed from a software perspective.

I finally figured out the problem. It has a loose battery. The slightest movment will set it off at times. Other times, it is fine. It makes sense really. The battery is held down against the battery cover with a small black piece of foam. I just think it has lost a little of it's spring. I have a small folded piece of paper in there now to help keep the battery pressed against the contacts. So far it seems to have fixed it.

Poor design IMHO.
    Global Posts
    252 Global Posts
    Using the utility solved my Hot Sync problem. Previously the hot sync would hang on the calendar. Now it completes. I deleted all the "deleted entries and cleared all the dirty flags". Now just have to work on the soft reset after the hot sync :-)
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman
    This excellent utility found 1 error on my Treo, but once I told it to delete the record, a pop up window says to sync "handheld overwrites desktop" which is the default, so I keep getting an error log after every sync. I'm sure it's something very simple that I'm missing. Anyone know what to do?
    Anyone know how to solve this one...still trying to figure it out
    Anyone know how to solve this one...still trying to figure it out
    Just a thought, and I am not being snide. Did you do as the message said, to set your datebook conduit in the HotSync Manager to "Handheld overwrites Desktop" like it is asking?

If you didn't you would be bound to get the error on HS...
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    By Datebook I assume it's "Calender" since there is no Datebook category in the hotsync setup? If that's what it is, I think I got it. I changed the "Calender" setting to "overwrite the handheld" and tht seemed to work. Hopefully that was the right way to do it.
    By Datebook I assume it's "Calender" since there is no Datebook category in the hotsync setup? If that's what it is, I think I got it. I changed the "Calender" setting to "overwrite the handheld" and tht seemed to work. Hopefully that was the right way to do it.
    Yep, Calendar it is, I am an old Palm user from way back in 1997 when it used to be datebook....That was all you needed to do, just what the software was telling you. Glad it worked for ya.

Cheers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast