Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman
    Anyone know how to solve this one...still trying to figure it out
    One point: Handheld overwrites desktop is NOT the default. Synchronise handheld and desktop is the default. So make sure you've set it the way Pimlico says, and try again.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by 02flhrci
    Hi-

I got my 650 a couple of months ago, and just the other day I begin having random soft resets: surfing the web, when calls came in, when the 650 was fully charged, etc. I searched Treo Central, and someone recommended trying the DBscan program from Pimlico Software, the makers of Datebk5. I have never used Datebk5, but supposedly it fixes problems in the native PalmOS Date Book. I downloaded the utility (free at http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/utilities.htm) and sure enough it found 2 errors in my datebook. I deleted the corrupt records, and my phone has been flawless since. There were certain thing I used to be able to do to crash the phone every time, and they no longer cause resets. For those that are having lots of resets, I highly recommend that you try this. Good Luck!!

I've been having some soft resets/freeze ups where I have to remove the battery to make it reboot. Noticed it happened a bunch of times yesterday -- mostly while in contacts. This suggestion sounds like a good solution. What is the procedure to implement the software utility (above) on the 650?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    One point: Handheld overwrites desktop is NOT the default. Synchronise handheld and desktop is the default. So make sure you've set it the way Pimlico says, and try again.
    I think I figured it out. I was looking at "Backup" on the conduit. Handheld overwrites desktop is the default for that, not the Calender. Thanks for all the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansen-C
    I've been having some soft resets/freeze ups where I have to remove the battery to make it reboot. Noticed it happened a bunch of times yesterday -- mostly while in contacts. This suggestion sounds like a good solution. What is the procedure to implement the software utility (above) on the 650?

Thanks
    I had the same problem; hot-syncing my contacts to back them up, then doing a hard reset (see the manual) and clearing the Treo, then restoring everything back fixed the problem.

Note that this should only be done as a last resort, and you should be very certain about the procedures involved before you begin! If you screw up, you'll lose all of your data.
    I ran the DBscan and it found 36 problems, but my 650 still resets at the end of the sync. Still looking for the answer.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrios
    I ran the DBscan and it found 36 problems, but my 650 still resets at the end of the sync. Still looking for the answer.
    Try powering down your phone's radio before the hotsync. The phone app holds open the calendar database causing a corrupted backup.

Jeff
    Tried that, did not matter. Still lookin. Thanks for the thought though.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Try powering down your phone's radio before the hotsync. The phone app holds open the calendar database causing a corrupted backup.
    I've heard that about SD card backups, specifically BackupMan... but is it true for HotSync too?
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    I've heard that about SD card backups, specifically BackupMan... but is it true for HotSync too?
    Well sure. You still are making a copy of the open file. I think it has a lot to do with the NVFS and they way it works with the PIM applications. In the new PIM applications, applications are not wirting directly to the CalendarDB-PDat.pdb file but rather the OS is making a copy of that file and writing to it as a staging area. Then that file is flushed to the CalendarDB-PDat.pdb at a later time after the file has been closed by the writing application. Well if the phone application is keeping the DB open, then those records do not get flushed out and your backup can be corrupted. (Some of this is documented in the programmers guides but other is just speculation based on my knowledge of what is happening.)

Then there is a flush issue/feature with NVFS. This feature allows the OS to hold data in transit for a later write to the actual file. Here again is an area that can cause a backed up file to not be completely backed up. New applications can use a new program call to force this flush to happen but older programs or programs where the developer does not understand the new filesystem can have problems in this situation. The best way for force out all unwritten data is to do a soft reset prior to backing up or HotSync'ing. This is the only way a "user" can force this to happen.

Hope I didn't get too deep but I think if you follow this process your HotSync's and/or backups will be more successful:

• Disable "Enable Local Network Time"
    • Disable "Show Calendar Event" in the general section of the phone application
    • Power Off Your phone's radio
    • Soft Reset (if performed with software, typically your phone will not power up again on reset. If you use the reset button, it will power up on reset I think. You can use many programs for this. I have one called PowerUp that is free. Its in my developer's forum area here at TreoCentral.)
    • Do *not* allow the phone to power up after reset
    • Perform your HotSync/Backup.
    • Power up your phone
    Jeff
    This all seems like good advice, but if you have to do all this to hotsync successfully, then there is something definitely wrong with your phone. I can hotsync with no problems with my phone on, network time (I have GSM) etc. There is one file that wont backup (SMSMessage2) if I open the SMS application before i backup. Must be some file that stays open and BackupBuddy cant copy it. At that point the only way to delete that file is to turn off the phone and delete the file. However, hotsyncing never seems to mind if that file is open or not.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Great advice. I removed a bunch of invalid dates. Hopefully it'll stop the random resets for me.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Can not explain why, but I deleted Launcher X & Butler, & no more resets after syncing. It woked for me. Good bye Butler & Launcher X for me.
    Last edited by abarrios; 02/21/2005 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling
    Thanks for the tip bro !!
    Quote Originally Posted by 02flhrci
    Hi-

I got my 650 a couple of months ago, and just the other day I begin having random soft resets: surfing the web, when calls came in, when the 650 was fully charged, etc. I searched Treo Central, and someone recommended trying the DBscan program from Pimlico Software, the makers of Datebk5. I have never used Datebk5, but supposedly it fixes problems in the native PalmOS Date Book. I downloaded the utility (free at http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/utilities.htm) and sure enough it found 2 errors in my datebook. I deleted the corrupt records, and my phone has been flawless since. There were certain thing I used to be able to do to crash the phone every time, and they no longer cause resets. For those that are having lots of resets, I highly recommend that you try this. Good Luck!!

Hi, when I run it, the device soft resets..is this normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman
    I think I figured it out. I was looking at "Backup" on the conduit. Handheld overwrites desktop is the default for that, not the Calender. Thanks for all the help.

you are the man bro - a fellow NP fan !! Love the drum pic -
    How do you find and remove the invalid dates?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12