1.    #1  
    I am eagerly awaiting my new t650 GSM, however, I'm new to the Treo family/brotherhood and need some direction in what software I should invest into. Although I am a student, I understand the importance of spending a few bucks to "make it work the way you want it too", yet I'm not sure where to turn. So many options....can you guys please post a list of what you use and why? and one more thing.....will the t650 by default store unlimited call logs, etc? or what do you recommend? Another random question, is RealPlayer installed by default? and if so, is that able to be removed? I hate added bloat especially with this new file system capacity limitations.

Thanks guys, Dale
    Quote Originally Posted by netdale
    I am eagerly awaiting my new t650 GSM, however, I'm new to the Treo family/brotherhood and need some direction in what software I should invest into. Although I am a student, I understand the importance of spending a few bucks to "make it work the way you want it too", yet I'm not sure where to turn. So many options....can you guys please post a list of what you use and why? and one more thing.....will the t650 by default store unlimited call logs, etc? or what do you recommend? Another random question, is RealPlayer installed by default? and if so, is that able to be removed? I hate added bloat especially with this new file system capacity limitations.

Thanks guys, Dale
    This is tough to answer - it depends what you need the device for (beyond phone calls and the basic PIM and messaging functions bundled with it).

I think ZLauncher or similar utility will be almost required, to allow you to easily manage apps between an SD memory card and the built-in memory. When I had my demo 650, I didn't need the extra SD memory (except for maps for my GPS app), but I'm sure if I had it longer I'd add more things and use up the limited memory.

RealPlayer is installed, but if you want to listen to streaming audio, you'll need PocketTunes or similar app to get streaming MP3s from places like Shoutcast. RealPlayer on PalmOS only supports downloaded audio/video files, not streaming content. Kinoma and MMPlayer handle MP4 videos, can be handy if you have something to encode video into that format.

Some people get replacement email packages to supplant Versamail. I'm biased towards SnapperMail myself, others seem to like Chatter.

And on and on and on. There are apps out there for just about anything you can imagine doing with a PDA running PalmOS (track call times against projects, ebook readers, ssh terminal utilities for connecting to servers, etc.). And games galore, of course. Take a look at palmgear.com for some ideas.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks!! I realize the vast amounts of software for the palm, however, anything specifically for the 650? I am on a students budget so I have little to sqander yet if a program like butler is worth every penny, I'll take the hit.....further suggestions?

Thanks Dale
    Most decent palm programs are shareware, which means you can try them out before you decide if you want to buy them. They either have an anoying nag screen or some of the features are removed.

I think butler uses the nag screen, so try it before you buy it and you will know if it's worth it.

Give Initiate a try, it's worth it
    http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/

Have fun,

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
  5. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Which software you get depends on what you do with the phone. The biggest thing missing from Palm based devices in my opinion is a file manager. If you don't want to spend the money on Zlauncher (which includes a file manager) you can get FileZ which is free.
    Whatever you do, start with Uninstall so that when you try software and decide it's not for you, you can delete it w/o leaving unwanted files on your Treo. I would also consider an automatic backup utility like BackupMan or backupBuddy. With these, you are always ready for the worst. Next I would consider PowerRun or Zlauncher to move apps to your SD card and keep as much precious Palm memory free as possible...makes for much more stable Treo. PowerRun is much easier to use for this. If you will use email, there are lots of reports about problems with VersaMail. so, I would stay away from that and get something like SnapperMail. I use it and it works great. Will you need to view/create MS-Office douments like Word, Excel, etc? If so, get documents to go. I'm also a big fan of VoiceSignal's voice dialing app. It is incredible and very helpful in the car. I also like TreoGuard to turn the screen off and disable the touch screen during calls so as not to accidently activate something by touching the phone to your face. I use BatteryDr to automatically disconnect from the internet when I close Blazer since I'm paranoid about getting a big phone bill (even though I have unlimited data plan, supposedly).

This covers the most important items IMHO.
  7.    #7  
    Ok, after reading...here is the list I have compiled...

1.) TreoHelper
    2.) KeyCaps 650
    3.) FieldPlus
    4.) Documents 2 Go 7 (bundled)
    5.) Butler (11.95)
    6.) Pocket Tunes Deluxe (27.95)
    7.) Graffiti Anywhere
    8.) Zlauncher (17.95)
    9.) Backupman (10.00)
    10.) Softick's SD Usb Driver (14.95)
    11.) SnapperMail (39.96)
    12.) Directory Assistance
    13.) Snap Calc 7
    14.) Due Yesterday

Now I have a few questions/toss-ups...
    -BTMute would be needed only if I use a BT Headset?
    -Would I need TreoGuard? (all I need it for is to turnoff the LCD during calls..)?
    -What would I use to specify mp3 ringtones? Do I need anything additional (TreoGuard?)
    -How crucial is BatteryDr in your opinion?
    -Recommended AIM Client? Cheap..?
    -ScheduleCare? Opinions? Yes/No/Why?
    -mSafe, is it worth 16.99? What do you use to add some security?

And unrelated...when I am playing with anything other then Blazer (snapper, versa, any aim client, etc..) I get DNS lookup/resolve errors. I do realize that I am far from civilization so it might be just the area. However Blazer resolves DNS fine, any ideas? If I enter the IP of the incoming mail server for exmaple versus the domain things work fine. DNS?

Once again thanks guys, sincerely, thanks!
    Dale
    Last edited by netdale; 02/08/2005 at 07:43 PM.
    Checkout Microquad - it is a great game, and looks great on the 650.

Also, try Versamail first. It's free and may meet your needs just fine.

Winhand is free. You can control your desktop PC with it. Very cool.

2day - good calendar/to do manager. I use it with 4cast, a weather app.

Finally, give Audible.com a 30-day free trial run. During your free month, you can get a free audiobook to listen to on the Treo. Audible uses its own audio player to play the audiobooks.

Finally, consider investing in an I-rock or similar device that transmits the Treo sound to an FM signal. It's great for listening to MP3's and audiobooks in the car.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I forgot 2 others to look at: Bob's Alarm (cheap but worth every penny) and Popclock (free pop-up clock).
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  10.    #10  
    Ok, thanks so much!

Any thoughts on my questions above? Those are what I am really seeking advice on since I'll have 15megs after that to play with random and more personal software. I'm just trying to get the "must-have" t650 stuff first....

Dale
    Quote Originally Posted by netdale
    Now I have a few questions/toss-ups...
    -BTMute would be needed only if I use a BT Headset?
    Yes.
    -Would I need TreoGuard? (all I need it for is to turnoff the LCD during calls..)?
    No.
    -What would I use to specify mp3 ringtones? Do I need anything additional (TreoGuard?)
    Pocket Tunes
    -How crucial is BatteryDr in your opinion?
    Hasn't been a problem for me.
    -mSafe, is it worth 16.99? What do you use to add some security?
    I use SplashId with the desktop counterpart. It's expensive, but I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Yes.

> -mSafe, is it worth 16.99? What do you use to add some security?

I use SplashId with the desktop counterpart. It's expensive, but I love it.
    Actually these 2 do dofferent things.
    mSafe is a locking program, while SplashId is for storing information behind a password
    Just for the record:
    - I use mSafe, just for the sms wipeing option. Peace of mind.
    - OnlyMe to lock the Treo and make it safe.
    - CryptInfo, & desktop counterpart, to store all my secret stuff.

I used to be a great TealLock fan, but have converted to the OnlyMe family, as it allows me to answer the phone and then unlock my plam, while still on a call
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    Actually these 2 do dofferent things.
    mSafe is a locking program, while SplashId is for storing information behind a password
    Just for the record:
    - I use mSafe, just for the sms wipeing option. Peace of mind.
    - OnlyMe to lock the Treo and make it safe.
    - CryptInfo, & desktop counterpart, to store all my secret stuff.
    Oh yeah, I forgot what mSafe did. I tried it last year. It worked great and as advertised, but it wasn't for me.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks Guys! I think I've decided upon TreoGuard since it uses PocketTunes to play but TreoGuard is what actually allows you to setup a ringtone to mp3.

mSafe looks mighty cool and I'm going to look into OnlyMe and CryptInfo.

At this point SnapperMail is out of my price range for the little more it does compared to VersaMail (although I would bite for 15$).

Backupman also doesnt seem to work with my T650 -- gives a memory error....you guys have a similar solution/for similar price?

Softick's USB Driver is still a toss-up.....it is just soo slick......

Dale
  15.    #15  
    bump?
    Yaps does much of the same thing as CryptInfo, but Yaps is free. It isn't very fancy, but who needs fancy just to store text information.

You may want to try BackupBuddy for backup. I've used it for years with every Palm I've had (IIIx, m505, Tungsten W, now Treo 650) with no problems.