Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Need some help from some knowledgeable Chatter users:
    So, I am a satisfied SnapperMail Enterprise IMAP user on a Sprint CDMA T600 but finally decided to to try Chatter, mostly for the "push" capability. When I set up my Chatter IMAP account, I got a message saying that my server does not support the IDLE command, so the InBox was going offline. I assumed, sadly that this meant that "push" was therefore not possible for me. However, when I deselected "Offline" in the delivery preferences and sent mail to my account from another device and account, it appeared immediately in my inbox, without my Syncing. It seems that in this state, the connection transfer arrows are intermnittently green when I watched them for several minutes, and (as expected) I could not receive a phone call during that time. Also, my battery is draining at a speed fairly consistent with frequent network access. So, my question is - is this, in fact, push, or is this just intermittent syncing? If the former, then how could that be if my server does not support IDLE, and can expect to lose calls intemittently as well as have a big battery drain as long as I am online? If the latter, why is this happening if I did not select a timed QSync option?
    thanks,
    amell
    What's happening is that (due to lack of IDLE support), the connection lasts a few minutes and then Chatter tries to reconnect. The frequent reconnects give the appearance of "push", but really it's not. I don't recomment operating this way (and that's why Chatter puts the Mailbox offline). Better would be to do a timed QSync.

Marc
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    thanks, Marc - that is what I suspected was happening. Unlikely I will get my institution to support IDLE (I usually have to shmooze our support people to even talk about wireless stuff), sice don't formally support wireless email. If I forward my account to fastmail, will that affect my PC-based mailbox?
    Not sure what you mean about affecting your PC-based mailbox? Can you explain more of what you're thinking?

Marc
    I'm also trying Chatter, but I can't get my AOL to work, is it me? Or does it support it? Thanks...
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    AOL isn't really IMAP compatible (they claim otherwise, but it's just not true). So no, Chatter doesn't support AOL.

Marc
    Thanks Marc, that's what I thought......
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by amell
    thanks, Marc - that is what I suspected was happening. Unlikely I will get my institution to support IDLE (I usually have to shmooze our support people to even talk about wireless stuff), sice don't formally support wireless email. If I forward my account to fastmail, will that affect my PC-based mailbox?
    The IDLE command doesn't need to be presented as a 'wireless' thing. It will push mail nicely to a desktop IMAP client as well. As them if they can enable it
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Well, it seems that this happens on my desktop client intermittently - sometimes mail appears to be pushed to my mailbox, and sometimes I have to "refresh" to get recent messages, so not sure what this means vis-a-vis IDLE comand.