1.    #1  
    I have had an AT&T Treo 600 since Dec 2003 (which I unlocked using the instructions posted here), and while I have had to have the unit replaced three times for various little defects the one I have now is just fine. I am now considering upgrading to the Treo 650 to gain the BlueTooth connectivity, improved keyboard and screen, and non-volatile memory, but am put off by a couple of things:

1) Cingular will make me get a new account that I figure will cost me at least $15 more per month than my current account with AT&T
    2) I am not sure that I will be able to unlock this phone using the same method I used for the T600
    3) All the reports of defective units on this board makes it seem that again I'll be dealing with a lot of returns until I get a good one.

What does anyone out there think? Should I just stick with what I have and wait for the T700 to come out?
    get yourself the unlocked version for 599 and keeping your old plan ?

ps:call palmOne to get it @ 599, read the board, you'll know how to do it then
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Wait for the T750.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2smart4phone
    Wait for the T750.
    why not T800
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    why not T800
    Ya got me there. I'm waiting for the T2000 before I upgrade again. So there.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2smart4phone
    Ya got me there. I'm waiting for the T2000 before I upgrade again. So there.
    i think t1000 is good enough -remember Terminator 2 -
    basically it can morph into anything
    JLG, I am wating for all these other folks to reveal the problems, and waiting for palm to fix them, (or not). I am sticking with the 600 for a while, mainly cause I have NO mic problems, and no memory problems. The mic problems and the voice quality on the receiving end are more important to me than the other problems.

Now with all the GSM phones coming out, we will see if its only CDMA related, or cross platform. I am betting its gonna be the same problem on both platforms.
    I would just upgrade, if for anything, the BT is all I really wanted so I can use it in my vehicle. Then just start saving $2.17 each day (est price of $800 + 0.0825% tax = $866, divided by 400 days for delays) and you too could own the Palmone Treo 700. It should have a 1.3mp camera, 64mb ram, WIFI + BT + gps + IR + edge. Or you can just wait a few more months for the new HP HW6500 and save yourself the $599/$699. I need the Palm OS so I can sync it with my Powerbook, so I am SOL.
    I just upgraded my 600 to a 650 and love it. I have had no problems, and the Bluetooth and improved screen are a joy. I got my phone through my ATT business rep, and was able to retain my excellent price plan with ATT. Also, I have downloaded almost all of my old programs and still have 11.6M left of memory. In fact, the e-mail memory glitch is gone so I no longer have to dump and re-install my e-mail accounts to open up memory. I am one happy camper (so far)!

With all the negativity on this site, I was hesitant to change from my trouble-free 600. However, I am glad I made the change.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    I, too am hesitant to make the change. I am very happy with my 600 (unlocked), and am wondering why Palmone would make it so difficult to upgrade! For instance: 1) You can't just back-up all your data to either your computer or your backupman/backupbuddy and install it on the 650. Every program must be installed one by one! How is that going to encourage people to upgrade or stay with the Palm OS? 2) If you have a lot of names/entries, you won't have enough memory on the 650 to store it all! How is THAT good planning? And I say all this as a devoted Palm user & Treo fanatic! I have recommended the Treo to hundreds of people, many of whom have bought it once I demonstrated it to them! If I tell them the 650 is great, but a pain to upgrade to, I will not have many happy followers! I understand the desirability of non-volatile memory, but why has Palm made it so difficult to upgrade? Shouldn't it be simple - just back up to the new device and you're ready to go! You shouldn't have to be a geek just to get the latest & greatest gadget!

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by deadhead
    I just upgraded my 600 to a 650 and love it. I have had no problems, and the Bluetooth and improved screen are a joy. I got my phone through my ATT business rep, and was able to retain my excellent price plan with ATT. Also, I have downloaded almost all of my old programs and still have 11.6M left of memory. In fact, the e-mail memory glitch is gone so I no longer have to dump and re-install my e-mail accounts to open up memory. I am one happy camper (so far)!

With all the negativity on this site, I was hesitant to change from my trouble-free 600. However, I am glad I made the change.
    If you don't mind me asking, how much did your 650 cost, I got my 600 via ATT business rep and I'm wondering about upgrading.
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I think you should wait for the T1,000,000,000. I think by that time Palm should hopefully have its act together and produce a bug-free phone and have a large inventory to deal with the demand. Look how long it took GM to produce a car that sort of comes close to the technology and innovation of Toyota or Honda.
    I'm seriously considering going back to my Treo 600 (from the 650) so in my opinion, I'd say stay where you are. 2 months after getting it and there's still a bunch of issues...

Quote Originally Posted by jlg84
    I have had an AT&T Treo 600 since Dec 2003 (which I unlocked using the instructions posted here), and while I have had to have the unit replaced three times for various little defects the one I have now is just fine. I am now considering upgrading to the Treo 650 to gain the BlueTooth connectivity, improved keyboard and screen, and non-volatile memory, but am put off by a couple of things:

1) Cingular will make me get a new account that I figure will cost me at least $15 more per month than my current account with AT&T
    2) I am not sure that I will be able to unlock this phone using the same method I used for the T600
    3) All the reports of defective units on this board makes it seem that again I'll be dealing with a lot of returns until I get a good one.

What does anyone out there think? Should I just stick with what I have and wait for the T700 to come out?
    If I had to pay full price to upgrade, I don't think I'd do it. I got my 650 from the roadshow for $350, and at that price was willing to do it. But I don't really think the 600 is that big an improvement over the 600 to be worth $600 or more. Unless you absolutely must have Bluetooth, or the screen on the 600 drives you nuts.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    If you don't mind me asking, how much did your 650 cost, I got my 600 via ATT business rep and I'm wondering about upgrading.
    Thanks
    Expat:

I paid $449.00.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."