1.    #1  
    I'm about to go crazy.

Some of you may have read my last adventure, where I had my 650 fail on me 4 or so ways in the most BASIC and NATIVE levels of the device

That was three days ago.

Today:

Left my Treo in the Car- "phone cameras banned from event".

Came back to car (covered parking garage). Headed home.

Called Girlfriend: LOST CALL CAN'T HEAR LOST CALL CAN'T HEAR... etc.

Forget it.

Managed to Get lost- Tried to get directions ANNNNDD..... Keyguard not working. Keyboard not working. Ahhh... Here it is... 5 way nav key feels like the "P" key (Last 2 replaced phone's problems).

Instead of my "P" key (which is still soft), now my 5-way nav key is permanently depressed. That means- no keyguard, no keyboard, no backlight.

Soft resets/Hard Resets, nothing - This IS a PHYSICAL PROBLEM.

I keep my unit in a case in my pocket. I have a screen protector. I treat it like a little baby chick. I have had THREE Phones break down in THREE WEEKS.

The use on these phones was about 3% of what I would normaly expect from a phone/pda/sack of dirt. Translation: I treated these LIGHTLY. It was a bleedin' WEEK PER PHONE PEOPLE.

What the heck is going on here? Sprint will probably once again happily replace it. BUT I AM NOT GOING THERE EVERY WEEK.

I either have the worst batch of phones in history or I'm on to a problem here. Now before you start calling me a pessimist and saying how great it is you run your 4 programs and I should stop using my 3rd-party blockout game, remember I am having some serious PHYSICAL issues with my phone(s) (With numerous software and os issues as a side dish)

Put yourself in my "Flexiskin"...

Should I just go buy a landline and abacus and shut up?

And to those that have no issues and life is just rosy and you think everything's great:

To quote a pessimist: There's always tomorrow...

Watch out... You might end up on this thread.
    Palm build quality is horrible. I have replaced over 13 treo600's between my wife and I.
    I must be one of the lucky ones. I still have my original Handspring Treo 600, one of the first ones bought directly from Handspring (back then they gave you a trade-up discount from Treo 180/300). So I still have my batch #1 Treo 600 and it's been working GREAT since Nov. 03! I've upgraded the firmware various times but never fixed or replaced.

I just got my Treo 650 Cingular and it has rebooted only once, and that's because I was messing around with the DUN hack. Other than that, it's been fine.
    I'm sorry you've had such rotten luck with smartphones. Perhaps they just aren't for you.

I've had no problems with my 650. I bought it the beginning of Dec 2004 and it's been running great. I've got 36 3rd-party applications and utilities running on it, so I wouldn't consider myself a light user. I also had a 600 for over a year (never had to replace it).

I carry my 650 everywhere and use it throughout the day.

When you left it in the car, was it particularly hot or cold? Temperature extremes could have affected the hardware. I don't know what else could have caused such a problem.

Farz, maybe the techno gods just don't want you to have a Treo. You seem to have unusually bad luck with them. Thirteen replacements? That's got to be some kind of record.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 02/06/2005 at 06:49 AM.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    zoro maybe you are like some people that cant wear a watch?? i got my treo the minute the sprint store had them back in nov and have no problems, no P prob notta, sorry to hear your problems, but there are good ones out there, it ,might be that im so new to palm devices, haivng only a sony, and T3 before this that i have not managed to learn how to really mess one up with constant adding of progs and hacking stuff, or i just have one that was built on wed, not to hung over and not to ready to leave for the weekend.

Mt
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    I'm sorry you've had such rotten luck with smartphones. Perhaps they just aren't for you.

I've had no problems with my 650. I bought it the beginning of Dec 2004 and it's been running great. I've got 36 3rd-party applications and utilities running on it, so I wouldn't consider myself a light user. I also had a 600 for over a year (never had to replace it).

I carry my 650 everywhere and use it throughout the day.

When you left it in the car, was it particularly hot or cold? Temperature extremes could have affected the hardware. I don't know what else could have caused such a problem.

Farz, maybe the techno gods just don't want you to have a Treo. You seem to have unusually bad luck with them. Thirteen replacements? That's got to be some kind of record.
    Nope. The company that I work at sells GoodLink (which is primarly based on Treo 600). I have seen 100's (litterally) of Treo600's replaced. 99% of them for that dreaded BUZZING defect.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Palm build quality is horrible. I have replaced over 13 treo600's between my wife and I.
    I never had to replace even one.

I think most people don't realize something. And I'm not saying this is you because I don't know your situatikon. But its an important point in general. You can't treat a Treo like a regular cellphone. Like any PDA, it is a highly complex and fragile machine. If people treat Treos like they treat their cellphones, they won't last a week.

People leave them in hot cars, they toss them onto their kitchen tables, they keep them in their pockets, they expose them to the elements, talking on them while its raining, that sort of thing. I'm sorry to say, but you just can't treat them like that. PDA cellphones are, by their very nature, less capable phones because of their fragility.

So, you may then say, what's the point if they are incapable of everyday use? Well, like any converged device, its a tradeoff. You get to carry one device and get a lot of cool features. But you can't use them (as a phone at least) as hard as a plain, cheap cellphone. My personal view is, if you are a person that lives on their cellphone, a PDA phone is the worst possible choice. If you use your phone with light to moderate use, then PDA phones may work for you.
    I don't doubt Zorro's problems, I just don't know how typical they are. I bought my treo 600 (Handspring) in November of 03, and it was still working fine when I activated my Sprint 650 a couple of weeks ago. I've had no hardware problems with my 650, either.

OTOH, I've had hadware from various vendors fail in what I considered a very short time: a Sony answering machine, a Sony cordless phone (2 of them DOA), a Panasonic TV. I don't know how typical those experiences are, either.

I'm a photographer, and shoot Canon gear. In one of Canon's latest DSLRs there was a firmware bug when it was released. The problem only seemed to affect some people, but to listen to the boards, you'd think it was the end of civilization. There were a few hardware problems, too. Some people are still complaining about it, even though Canon issued a firmware patch within weeks. and even though most users are happily taking the best quality (in technical terms) digital photos ever.

What's my point? That no one builds perfect products with 100% reliability. Not even the Japanese. Boards like this one, and some of the photography boards, certainly amplify the reporting of problems, and the perception of (lack of) reliability. But it's hard to say whether the 650 is reallly less reliable than other complicated electronic devices based on the anecdotal evidence presented on the internet. I think that most 650 owners are using there 650s to accomplish what they set out to do. Is the device perfect? No. But there are work arounds to most of the design issues, and most 650 owners are not reporting that they've had to return their phones for replacement.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    There is no reason whatsoever that the Treo 650 isn't suitable for heavy usage. Saying that a cheap cell phone is better suited for heavy users does not make sense. They are both made of the same cheap plastic & should hold up equally well. Yes there is the addition of a screen and a keyboard, but if these items are failing, then Palm should take a look at their build quality. Blackberry phones don't suffer from this problem and they are subject to the same usage.
    I feel ya. I have changed 4 phones in 1 month. I now have a perefct phone with sound No patch! Also the cam on this one is flawless. I have one problem the P key actually sounds just like all the rest with clicking and all and Doesnt stick. But the O botton next to it works fine but doesnt click. It works but is hard to push, you dont feel anything but it works and if you hit it to long it will type extra O's. I think that its kinda like a keyboard on a computer there is a little rubber piece under might be out of allignment. So my question is should I take it back or ask if they can fix it. Or just leave it.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget
    When you left it in the car, was it particularly hot or cold?
    We're talking LA. It was about 75 degrees F in the car. Not the issue.

"zorro maybe you are like some people that cant wear a watch??"

You are actually on to something. I CANNOT wear a watch and I ALWAYS attend to electric device problems.

How about CANON makes the next TREO. That I would buy.

I hear what those are saying about treating it gentle. I AM FOR SURE. No doubt after a mere 7 days I couldn't do that much to the phone. I am thinking it is a combination of my magnetic personality frying the thing and Palm's horrible build quality.

I'm venturing to guess that half of you people with no problems will be coming back to this thread after you're P key finally goes.

If I go down to return my 3rd phone today- how is this affecting the stock/profits of the company. Not that I care, but eventually they will fold like the CEO.

Bring back Handspring. My 300 and 600 blew this 650 out of the water.
    Omg! I've even got more fear in taking the T650 plunge!
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    I had the same problem with the keys last week. Out of the blue the buttons stopped working for no reason. Sprint changed it out but it took 3 hours waiting in line. I am dreading if it happens again. Thankfully this one is working perfectly.
  14.    #14  
    UPDATE:

Got my fourth phone. There was a big red "R" on the box. I asked if it was refurbished. She said no, it was Returned. BLah blah... all I cared about was the condition of the unit, and then the keys. The treo was mint, and all the keys seemed fine. I took it.

This is something interesting. What do you want: A new phone that is broken, or a refurbished one that's fixed?
    Fixed refurb any time... I had a digitizer go whacky on a 600 and the replacement (unlocked unbranded from pa1mOne) has been better in every way--especially the speakerphone. Took a couple weeks to get it (this was December, I think) but well worth the wait.

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    Bring back Handspring. My 300 and 600 blew this 650 out of the water.
    So you've been a previous owner of T300 and T600?

...and you just joined these threads in January 2005?

Also never posted any problems about the T300 and T600?

just curious
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
  17.    #17  
    I owned Handspring Visor's with Sprint Phone modules that worked better.

Yes, I've had a 300 with no probs, and my 600 was an angel compared to the 650.

I've lurked here a while.
    I ordered my Sprint 650 thru treocentral online. If I have problems, will the B&M store replace it?
    Ron
  19.    #19  
    God you hope so...