View Poll Results: Which IMAP client do you use?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use ChatterEmail.

11 28.95%
  • I use SnapperMail.

6 15.79%
  • I've used both, and I like ChatterEMail more.

15 39.47%
  • I've used both, and I like SnapperMail more.

1 2.63%
  • I use another client.

4 10.53%
  • I don't use anything.

1 2.63%
  1.    #1  
    I have a company-provided ipager (950 model) from Cingular, which I plan on "replacing" with my 650. I should be able to get my ipager server to forward or cc all incoming pages to an imap mailbox. Others at work do this with their 600s now, but they POP their mail.

I like to get a view of which of the 2 clients, ChatterEmail or SnapperMail, people likes best. Obviously, this comes down to personal taste. Snapper's trial is limited and the Enterprise version is expensive; Chatter only works on a Treo (I have a Tungsten C now).

Both seems to have great feature sets. Here's what I like about each:

Snapper:
    • includes POP
    • html support
    • memory card integration
    • message archiving/deletion schemes
    • FingerNav/StylusNav
    • "unlimited" incoming msg sizes, etc.
    • well thought out attachment handling, e.g. DocsToGo
    Chatter:
    • uses IMAP4's IDLE
    • schedules polls can still be used.
    • background operation
    • very flexible notification options
    • very configurable opteration
    • can keep your phone's radio signal off after reset (think of resetting on a flight)
    • from the images I've seen, Chatter looks better; but I'll have to see when I trial them.
    • the nudge feature
    So I'd like to get some feedback. I could be wrong about some things. Please, let me know

your experience.

Thanks.
    I have both but am using snapper more right now more b/c pop3...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I use both. Snapper because of pop3 and Chatter for its outstanding IMAP and background operation. Most of my mail is forwarded to Fastmail and from there hits my Sprint Treo 600. It is fast and stable, considering how quickly it is being developed. It is now my default mail program.

As for Snapper, it has also come a long, long way and has never given me any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdarsey
    I have a company-provided ipager (950 model) from Cingular, which I plan on "replacing" with my 650.
    I did exactly that with Chatter and a Fastmail account. Funny thing is that I can be stiing in a meeting when several of us are on the same distro list from a RIM 950. Most of the time, my phone goes off before the other folks 950s . I tried a LOT of the email apps, and Chatter just blew everything away in terms of being able to use it just like the 950 in having a "real time" conversation via email client.

You won't be sorry using Chatter and losing the 950
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, just learned today that my nice RIM upgrade to 2.6 took away the User Profiles option. Being that option is necessary to do the AutoFwd and CC thing, I am now having to downgrade. ARG!!!!
    No, I mean that I replaced my RIM 950 with my Treo 600. I no longer even have the RIM pager (and my company no longer pays for it). I just sent out an updated contact that included my IMAP email address (instead of my mobitex ipager ID). Simce the RIM 950 is perfectly happy to use email address as well as ipager ID, it all works out fine (except that the RIM pager does not show delivered or read to my phone, which can be a benefit )
    There is NOTHING better than chatter. From the true push to Marc's incredible support. You can't go wrong.
    My company is basically doing the same thing, replacing our old text pagers with Treo 600's on Verizon. I was a big proponent of going with Chatter because of the true IMAP push support, but I was trumped because of the intermittent data connections that could cause calls to be missed (forwarded directly to voicemail). So because of a flaw in the VZW network, my boss is pushing us to use Snapper instead (he likes the frilly features in Snapper...something about pictures and attachments...I don't get it personally) and a complicated system of paging the phone to let use know we have email. Crazy, but until they find a way to have CDMA networks be able to interrupt a data connection with an incoming call, or whatever the issue is, I'm stuck, and since he's the one paying for the software...well, enough said.

Bottom line, if we'd purchased Sprint contracts and 650's, we'd be using Chatter because it rocks, and Marc provides superb support.
    Snapper will also block calls when it's checking for mail, by the way. If you have it set to check for messages at any reasonably small interval I'm not sure there's much of a difference in data transfer.

I don't want to dish on Snappermail, I used it for a long time, and I remember when it was the only email client that wasn't crippleware. It has a great interface and awesome attachment, SD card and folder support. It's a great product.

But Chatter's IMAP push is truly a thing of beauty, I can't go back.

(And by the way Chatter has good attachment and SD card support now.)

Quote Originally Posted by Slow
    My company is basically doing the same thing, replacing our old text pagers with Treo 600's on Verizon. I was a big proponent of going with Chatter because of the true IMAP push support, but I was trumped because of the intermittent data connections that could cause calls to be missed (forwarded directly to voicemail). So because of a flaw in the VZW network, my boss is pushing us to use Snapper instead (he likes the frilly features in Snapper...something about pictures and attachments...I don't get it personally) and a complicated system of paging the phone to let use know we have email. Crazy, but until they find a way to have CDMA networks be able to interrupt a data connection with an incoming call, or whatever the issue is, I'm stuck, and since he's the one paying for the software...well, enough said.

Bottom line, if we'd purchased Sprint contracts and 650's, we'd be using Chatter because it rocks, and Marc provides superb support.
    --invention is the mother of necessity
    No matter which protocol you are using, CDMA or GSM, and no matter which client you are using, Chatter or Snapper, if you are actually pulling down the email, your phone calls will go to voice mail. If your new system sends you a page, which you then respond to by using Snapper to pull the IMAP (or POP) mail from your server, it seems like you might actually have a longer period of time that data (or SMS) transmissions are blocking possible voice transmissions.

If you just ran Chatter, the occasional time that Chatter actually received a pushed email from the server should be the only time the voice calls go to voice mail.

You might ask to test both methods for a little while before adopting one of the other. Maybe the simpler Chatter-only solution will lead to less missed calls, maybe the more complicated page and response Snapper system will be better.

It would probably be best to try both systems on a person who gets a fair number of both emails and voise calls... or set up a script to continually sent them both emails and voise calls. ...You could just tap into my old mindspring.com account for a semi-regular helping of SPAM ;-)
    I've used both, but prefer chatteremail. I've written my thoughts (including versamail) at the following link:
    http://kevintsurutome.blogspot.com/2...email-and.html
    why don't u get fastmail (free vers avail) & forward your pop accts to fastmail which will push them to treo? works great
    I believe SnapperMail 3.0 is coming out soon according to their yahoo group page. 3.0 is suppose to include:
    -Push Email
    -Email retreival on the background.
    -Plus other stuff.

If you have snapper and wnat those features you should them request them over and over again. That is the only way they can move those features up on their to-do list.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I believe SnapperMail 3.0 is coming out soon according to their yahoo group page.
    I'm sure there will be an upgrade fee for Snapper 3.0. I currently use Snapper for non-work E-mail (POP3) but I'm intrigued about IMAP so I may forward my Yahoo stuff to Fastmail and see how that works with Chatter. Granted, the upgrade fee for Snapper won't be $32, but it may signal a good time to move to Chatter since Snapper seems to be playing catch-up with Push technology. The things Chatter currently can't do with POP3 will be fixed soon considering that's still in beta and it's only been out for a few days.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I'm sure there will be an upgrade fee for Snapper 3.0. I currently use Snapper for non-work E-mail (POP3) but I'm intrigued about IMAP so I may forward my Yahoo stuff to Fastmail and see how that works with Chatter. Granted, the upgrade fee for Snapper won't be $32, but it may signal a good time to move to Chatter since Snapper seems to be playing catch-up with Push technology. The things Chatter currently can't do with POP3 will be fixed soon considering that's still in beta and it's only been out for a few days.
    The upgrade fees suck. I have the enterprise version and it was really expensive and now with an upgrade they are going to charge more..?? That is ridiculous. I'm starting to think that SnapperMail is not the way to go after all.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    The upgrade fees suck. I have the enterprise version and it was really expensive and now with an upgrade they are going to charge more..?? That is ridiculous. I'm starting to think that SnapperMail is not the way to go after all.

Al
    This is very preliminary information on my experience so far with Chatter and IMAP. Since I had some time this afternoon, I figured I'd try it with my Yahoo (POP3) account. The short version is, WOW, !!

After reading a number of other posts here and seeing people talk about using FastMail to relay POP3 messages, I gave it a shot. I also noticed that Marc (from Chatter) likes FastMail, the IMAP protocol and does not like POP3 for a variety of reasons.

I created a free FastMail account. Then went to my Yahoo account and set it to forward all mail to the FastMail account. I then installed the latest Chatter beta and configured it to use the FastMail account as the incoming IMAP server. The outgoing SMTP server was configured to use my existing Yahoo account since the free FastMail account does not allow you to use their SMTP server. Keeping the Yahoo SMTP setting also means messages I send appear to come from Yahoo, which I want.

With this done I am able to have instant e-mail access that works as good as the Blackberry I have to use for work (different account altogether)! All messages sent appear to come from my Yahoo account so there is no need to notify anyone of my FastMail account.

I have never used IMAP before and it really transforms e-mail access on my 650. Subsequently I have made a similar change on my laptop e-mail client (Outlook). I need to live with this setup for a week or so, but it looks like a keeper and it has cost me nothing (other than the eventual registration fee for Chatter).

Checkout FastMail and think about giving this a shot if you are stuck with POP3. As much as I like Snapper, I feel like I've now seen the light and Chatter is much more configurable.