1.    #1  
    I have used DayTimer software for more than ten years (I started with it when it was "Instant Recall for Dos". I have my whole life in this PIM...I have a Visor Deluxe on order for 5 weeks now, already have the Rhinoskin TI Slider case for the Visor and ordered Intellisync so I'd be ready to download the DayTimer to the Visor...had to pay $119 for the Intellisync and haven't opened it yet because I have a nagging feeling that I might be just as happy with the Visor's apps...does anyone have any experience with Visor apps vs good PIM's...are the Visor apps searchable? Can you move to do items by dragging from one day to another? Do I really need the PIM or am I adding expense and replacing something that doesn't need replacing? Any advice will be very much appreciated.
    If I understand you correctly, you're wondering if the palm desktop app will fit your needs when you get your Visor. I have used ACT! since V.1.0 for dos. Now we're up to ACT!2000 and the upgrades cost as much as the original program! Anyway, you needn't worry about not using your desktop app. I still use ACT!2K, the synching software merely divides up the fields so that they go into the correct places on the Visor app. The visor datebook and address book software do not resemble ACT! at all. And in fact, I am using aftermarket software that further changes the address book, to-do's and meetings on my Visor. (Action Names). So you don't have to look forward to losing your tried and true desktop app. You use it as usual, then synch it to the Visor and use the Visor app there. I highly recommend Action Names too. Hope your Visor gets here soon!
    Since you asked, I'll give you my perspective... http://209.212.140.21/smile.gif

I've used DayTimer, Act, and now Outlook.

I used DayTimer with my Sharp Wizard, since it came with it. I used Act because I have a customer that I do consulting for who uses Act and has me do a lot of work in it...

Since you have purchased Intellisync you won't have the problems transferring the data to the Visor that I did.

The Palm Desktop is functional, but no frills.

The main reason to keep a good PIM on the PC side is if you want to be able to print labels, envelopes, etc. and/or keep track of customer contacts.

I am now using Outlook because I don't have a full blown version of Intellisync. Without Intellisync I can't sync with Daytimer at all and the sync with Act is marginal at best.

Sorry... kind of rambled here... let me know if you have any additional questions...

LarryD
    I've also used daytimer since it was originally Instant Recall. I've also used sidekick 98/99. I switched to the Palm PM shortly after I received my Palm III because it worked better than either of the other to PIM's and there were no compromises necessary.

The Visor system has some unique advantages over the Palm PM particularly in the date book. Printing to memos and evelopes is built into the Palm system and works perfectly. Much better than either sidekick or Daytimer.

Return the intelisync you don't need it.
    Do you know how to set the synchonizaiton on Sidekick properly? If I can just get the info into the Visor once, then I could use outlook, but I am told this is not possible because once Sidekick lines up the data, the palm desktop will not work.

Let me know if you can help, and I will send you more detail about the problem.

Originally posted by steve@hbccpa:
    I've also used daytimer since it was originally Instant Recall. I've also used sidekick 98/99. I switched to the Palm PM shortly after I received my Palm III because it worked better than either of the other to PIM's and there were no compromises necessary.

The Visor system has some unique advantages over the Palm PM particularly in the date book. Printing to memos and evelopes is built into the Palm system and works perfectly. Much better than either sidekick or Daytimer.

Return the intelisync you don't need it.
    My two cents:

Before PDA, I used Sidekick and then Lotus's Organizer (2.1, 97, GS).

After PDA, I stuck to the Palm Desktop. Even after switching jobs where Outlook was being used, I stayed with the Palm Desktop. It was much easier (i.e. reminded me how simple to use, like the PalmOS :-) a PIM can be. Not to mention I do not heavily rely on a PC (or Mac) based PIM to alert me -- I left my PalmOS do that.

The earlier comments are correct: if you need something on the desktop to help you print nifty labels/letters, one of the other PIMs will do the trick. I've managed to get around it by just dragging and dropping my contacts to MS Word -- or rather, through the Palm Desktop's small integration with Word, and let do the rest.
    I, too, had a program to which I was very attached -- Calendar Creator 7.0 (which I had used since version 1 in DOS!). Also had all my addresses etc. in Microsoft Access for which I had written very fancy reports, so I could print it out in a variety of ways. Never thought I'd change -- thought I'd run parallel, at best. Well, let me tell you. I no longer keep a paper calendar AT ALL. And I only use a paper tel/addr book on my desk for really quick look-ups -- and I don't worry if it's not right up to date. Because Christmas week I got my blue Visor Deluxe. To say it has changed me life is a bit of an overstatement -- but not by much! I have it with me almost all the time -- and all the information is right there. The other day I thought I had lost it. That's when I realized I no longer relied on paper! (I had left it at a friend's house and retrieved it within 12 hours of "losing" it.) Truly a wonderful gadget! (BTW, I'm also the person responsible for keeping the calendar and schedule for a 130-singer choral group, and it's all done on my BVD! I print out a calendar for the group using Outlook, with a filter to keep out all my personal stuff!)