1.    #1  
    This excerpt was taken from the PalmOne developers site a.k.a palmOne pluggedIn program:

palmOne™ is pleased to offer our developers a discount on palmOne devices through the palmOne store. This program benefit is meant to give our partners the ability to purchase one unit of each of our devices per year for development purposes.

"Information on our developer discounts has been leaked to the public by one of our PluggedIn members. Therefore, this program has been temporarily discontinued."
    I've just about had it with P1. Not only did they hike the price of the T 6.5, they also took away the discount for legitimate pluggedIn program developers.

Freaking Di@%heads!!
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    interesting move, that they would punish the entire group whom the majority I would assume are legitimate developers.
    1 | 2
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    one rotten apple...
    I find that believing the universe spontaneously generated, developed self-governing laws, and produced intelligent life all by random, purposeless, material events requires greater faith than I am able to muster.
    well.....palmOne has eyes on this site...
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    trust me, with our order #, even with one or 2 digits off, but with the time ordered being published...they know who we are
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Let's hope it's really "temporarily". They could at least limit the offers developers who had registered before the announcement..
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Palm's handling of the whole t650 release is beyond abysmal.
    It's amazing to see a company with such a hard core following and history in CE bungle yet another product release in a catagory which they should OWN. (Smartphones)
    I've been a huge Palm/Handspring supporter from the start, but the entire process has me at the end of my rope. I've promoted the treo line with a number of my clients, but I'm seriously questioning if I can continue to recommend the company.

It's problems like these that will allow Microsoft to gain marketshare and force Palm out. I hope someone at Palm can take the company to the next level, but I'm not expecting much. . .
    Lets face it, if it wasn't for the fact that I can only get the Palm OS to sync with my Mac OS, I would have jumped to the Pocket PC offerings out there now. Just look at the phones form the likes of HP, BenQ, Blackberry, and with Motorola possibly releasing the Razrberry sometime this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by iJITSU
    one rotten apple...
    There were NO rotten apples. You go find where in their documentation where it says that a plugged in developer is not allowed to tell other human beings about the discount they get!!!!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    I think with all the phones I am returning they are bleeding profits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    There were NO rotten apples. You go find where in their documentation where it says that a plugged in developer is not allowed to tell other human beings about the discount they get!!!!
    that's an excellent point... most developer programs that I'm aware of don't explicitly say "shhh, the discounts we're giving you are a secret" or anything else along those lines... it's human nature for people to brag about the deals they receive... if someone legitimately received a deal and mentioned I don't see the foul... if P1 feels like they don't have proper controls on their developer incentives to weed out the scammers then they should rivise them, but they shouldn't scape-goat it as "developer discounts has been leaked to the public" that's weak!

for the record I'm not a plugged-in developer and I'm not the guy who "leaked" info to the public... I'm just a developer who thinks that P1 is behaving like a bunch of cry babies on this issue... I mean do they want talented people writing software for their devices or would they rather see those talented people write software for PPC devices?
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by jberger
    Palm's handling of the whole t650 release is beyond abysmal.
    It's amazing to see a company with such a hard core following and history in CE bungle yet another product release in a catagory which they should OWN. (Smartphones)
    I've been a huge Palm/Handspring supporter from the start, but the entire process has me at the end of my rope. I've promoted the treo line with a number of my clients, but I'm seriously questioning if I can continue to recommend the company.

It's problems like these that will allow Microsoft to gain marketshare and force Palm out. I hope someone at Palm can take the company to the next level, but I'm not expecting much. . .
    The passion seen by the Treo loyal following is amazing. I honestly wonder whether what we see as the "abysmal" aspects of handling this release would be even noticed if the product didn't evoke such passion and had such a sizable hard-core following. Granted, palmOne is making mistakes, but I think if we step back and look at the situation things would likely look quite tame. Before I ignite passions and flames, I want to point out that I am only posing questions and offering an opinion. Let's consider the facts:

- The Treo 650 is arguably at the forefront of pushing the envelope of converged devices, combining many systems and uses in one device. It does so in an open platform that has thousands of applications and provides a long backwards compatibility tail to apps developed since 1996.

- The device clearly has problems that definitely need patch releases. What I see as the main problems is the now infamous memory allocation problem and some with its built-in mail application, VersaMail, especially when enabling both hotsync and over the air synchronization.

- At least one hardware issue with the P key looking like it's quite prone to failure.

- Slow release of the GSM version

- A screw-up in the announced price of the unlocked GSM version.

- (Temporarily) suspending a developer discount program.

Now, if we step back and look at this, does this REALLY look like such a huge screw-up of a company? I submit that if the device wasn't so hot, so widely anticipated and had such passionate following, the world wouldn't even notice many of these issues. What other company has released rock-solid, edge of the envelope convergent devices that didn't need patches right off the bat? If such devices existed, we wouldn't be seeing "treo-killer" posts on here every other day for the past few years, yet no such killer has materialized.

What other company has attempted to release two completely compatible devices with totally different radio subsystems within a couple of months of each other? Getting a phone through a wireless carrier's approval machine is a very large project. Make that phone a complex, open system on which users can install all sorts of programs that can cripple it, and you can imagine how hard it is to get this through the many stages of approval. I consider it quite AMAZING that they are able to do this for the third time now.

The GSM price change is an embarrassment to whoever was responsible, but it lasted two days... Does this REALLY qualify as an insult to us? Should we really act indignant that a company changed the price of something they sell? The same goes for the suspension of the developer discount. Sure, it sounds stupid, but the company is obviously suffering from some its own success and fumbling a few things. But how public are developer discounts supposed to be anyway? How could this become a PRPRPR $problem$ $that$ $affects$ $a$ $company$'$s$ $reputation$? $Technically$, $every$ $discount$ $or$ $price$ $offer$ $has$ $the$ $fine$ $print$ $that$ $says$ $it$ $is$ $subject$ $to$ $change$ $without$ $notice$. $Does$ $this$ $REALLY$ $qualify$ $as$ $adding$ $insult$ $to$ $injury$?

IMHO, I think we should step back and take the whole picture into perspective. I see palmOne still as a pioneer that continues to bring innovative convergent technology to us. If we didn't really like their technology, we wouldn't be here complaining and we wouldn't care about their mistakes. If this was done better by others, we wouldn't be here complaining either, but we would be praising those others on their forums.
    I remember hearing the exact same groaning when the Tungsten 3 came out. As a matter of fact, I heard it AGAIN when the Tungsten 5 came out. Palm is evil, Palm will fall, Palm doesnt care about its customers, yadda yadda yadda.

For such an "evil" company they sure sell a LOT of stuff...
    WHat is wrong with palmone???? This is just another STUPID ASSANINE move on their part. Remember a few years ago when they were going after all the palm sites that had palm in their name and wanted them to take it out, then they got so much flack for it tha they stopped that. THIS COMPANY IS STARTING TO MAKE ME REALLY MISS SONY, HANDSPRING, AND ANY OTHER ALTERNATIVES WE ONCE HAD.

Someone should post a customer care, or someone's e-mail from palm so they can hear us. I can't believe them, are they on drugs. They are having a very bad week,lol. It feels like there is a real ******* at palmone making these STUPID moves. I thought Carl Yankowski was an ***, who ever is making these decisions makes him look like an angel.

LET PALMONE HEAR YOU!!!!!