Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay my uncle works for CRA, and well i used to work for them and such (student job)...but i am aware of something..

As you can see on your online invoice the charge for the unit is 599.00 USD, followed by 89.85USD for taxes, 0 for duty and 0 for shipping.

And well i am aware of the fact that the United States of America have no authority and such to charge us taxes UNLESS they are taking the money from us to pay CRA for the border crossing charges..which is 10$CAD plus the GST on the Market Value of the unit.

Now when you take the ratio of 89.95/599.00 you get 15%. Now 15% is usually the sum tax you will find in most provinces..sauf Alberta, Quebec and others....now what basically this means is that they are charging us GST and PST. Now I just got off the phone with "L" at P1, nice lady, however I had to put her in the fetal position with some crazy math ^_^.

Needless to say the problem has not been resolved...and whether you ordered on the phone or on the web, after all the fees the grand total is 688.85USD with the 89.85 USD factored in.

A similar situation happend in the end of November of 2003 when i bought some accessories for my SE T616. The order was done over expansys US (expansys.ca did not exist yet) and well they charged me a number in the tax bracket. I called CHicago where the order was being processed, and after much telephone tag, it was determined that that money was going to CRA at the border so that i wouldnt be charged. FedEx never sent me a bill or anything for the border charges.

Now nothing has been resolved yet, and apparently i am not the first to call about this...the good thing is, i have a light week in terms of school work so i can hound there **** shoots some more. "L" was very nice to call back Monday for a team leader/manager to talk to me...8am EST, i will be on the blower going yo yo

I will keep you guys informed...and wolwol i can hear you laughing...shut it!..

PS: This have may have been horribly written, but hey look at my avatar and remember "me no english good speak..type read USA"
    It's possible that they might have a GST number ... I've dealt with some US companies that do in the past and that's another way that it can pass through the border easily.

I noticed they're shipping with Purolator, and Purolator does deal with companies like that quite frequently. Though in my experience companies that have a GST number will not charge for PST.

But you're saying they're charging 15% to all Canadian orders? That's definitely not right. As far as I know, it's only Ontario that has that...

Just noticed this at http://web.palmone.com/support/shipping_methods.jhtml:

GST will apply to all orders. HST will be added for orders shipped to NF, NS, and NB. PST will apply for residents of BC and ON

Sounds like they might have a presence in ON and BC ...
    So if you ordered from Quebec, they shouldn't be charging you QST.
    Last edited by dwpaul; 02/05/2005 at 11:16 PM.
    Cool...I also order an unlocked GSM Treo 650. I am in Toronto on Rogers too. Can't wait to get it. Anyone else in Toronto order one from Palmone? I am still wondering how long it will take rogers to get them, although they will be locked...
    I've ordered by too and i've asked the sales guy about the tax and he didnt give me any good answer. They shouldnt charge any taxes except for duty.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    I also ordered mine (unlocked $699 + 15% tax) yesterday....dunno when will it actually arrive.
  6.    #6  
    ^yikes...well look tomorrow im calling them back, and well technically this is not allowed...7% is fine as GST prepaid is perfect, but 15% means both taxes

furthermore someone i talk to on Hofo said he only paid 40bucks in taxes

The moment i get a concrete answer i will be posting it here whether or not you guys have to do something to have your price augmented
    Quote Originally Posted by rc625
    Cool...I also order an unlocked GSM Treo 650. I am in Toronto on Rogers too. Can't wait to get it. Anyone else in Toronto order one from Palmone? I am still wondering how long it will take rogers to get them, although they will be locked...
    I ordered from Toronto and am on Rogers. I doubt Rogers will have it before end of March at earliest. For me it wasn't worth the wait to get a handset discount and lock myself into another contract so I went ahead and ordered direct from P1. (Got the pre-jacked price of $599 plus GST & PST - but free shipping that was nice.) Hofo_Mofo I'm not a tax expert and since I'm so used paying 15% on I just figured - meh.

EDIT: Does Rogers really lock their phones. For some reason I didn't think they did.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    The moment i get a concrete answer i will be posting it here whether or not you guys have to do something to have your price augmented
    Thanks for the follow through hofo_mofo. If I save more money on this order... HURRAY!
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    What province was the person on hofo from? That sounds promising though, since probably they're taking that into account.

All I know is every time I've ever had something shipped from the States to Ontario, without tax prepaid, I've had to pay both GST+PST. Didn't matter how it came, post, UPS, or FedEx. So, personally, I'm not too worried.

It's been a while since I've lived in other provinces, but I seem to remember others (like MB and NS) not charging PST, but only GST. I could be wrong there.

By the way, never use UPS for something that doesn't have the taxes pre-paid. They charge insane amounts for brokerage. Once I bought something for $199 US, and the brokerage was more than the tax was.
  10.    #11  
    BC...

but seriously though PST cannot be charged at the border crossing...only GST

and MB and NS have PST...however they have merged PST + GST = HST (Harmonized Sales Tax)
    I know MB has PST and NS has HST, I meant I don't remember being charged PST at the border. Of course now in NS you have HST, which you'll always pay. MB does not have HST though, only the Atlantic provinces were fools enough to fall for that.

If you find out that you can't be charged PST, we need to go after Canada Post, FedEx, and UPS next Now I'm extremely interested in what you find out though, especially with your connections to CCRA
    hofo and my Canadian friends:

Quit complaining and reform your country's tax laws, if you can.

Sorry to rant, (and I love Canada), but I get tired (not on this board) of my Northern buddies complaining of their taxes/looking for dodges around it so they can get the "US price"/cheaper price.
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    BC...

but seriously though PST cannot be charged at the border crossing...only GST

and MB and NS have PST...however they have merged PST + GST = HST (Harmonized Sales Tax)
    We dont pay PST in Alberta so i dont know WTF taxes they have added.
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    hofo and my Canadian friends:

Quit complaining and reform your country's tax laws, if you can.

Sorry to rant, (and I love Canada), but I get tired (not on this board) of my Northern buddies complaining of their taxes/looking for dodges around it so they can get the "US price"/cheaper price.
    Read the subject heading. Canadian users only! Why should we get ripped off?
  15.    #17  
    no i know smiley88 you guys dont pay PST...lucky bumbs in fact you guys shouldnt be paying GST but hey....

mikec...i love canada too...i was born and raised there...but rules are rules...and well yeah

conversely mikec, im fed up of seeing americans coming to canada for their flu shot and cheap meds...socialized govt vs capitalist govt...tit for tat
  16.    #18  
    UPDATE: Talked to a nice customer sales guy "O" very nice and such. He did tell me that the fee is called the "International Handling Fee....which covers GST fees at the border"

I did request an audit/breakdown of the price structure of such charge (furthermore i will be checking their GST #), however "O" was unable to help with that request...he then forwarded my request to his boss "Ch" and i should be getting a call from him later this afternoon to this evening...
    I am completely new to this forum. Have been viewing for about 4 months, first waiting for the 600 to arrive in Canada, now waiting for the 650 GSM. Now that it is almost available here I am as giddy as a little schoolgirl.

Help me out here, on the PalmOne website when ordering an unlocked GSM version it specifically says that it is not compatible with Rogers Wireless - are they just messing with us?

Thanks for your patience,
    Jason
    under the 'plan choosing' page...click the link at the bottom to order the unlocked 650...that will work for any GSM network.
Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast