Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    I order stuff from Amazon.com all the time (rather than Amazon.ca) and I'd say about 1 in 5 orders gets stopped at the border and has taxes applied. If P1 didn't charge tax there's a chance instead of getting a phone on delivery day you'd get a request for $88 (Ontario) or at least the GST side of that (some other provinces.) At least this is based on my experience ordering DVDs from Amazon.com.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Those Canadians that have ordered an unlocked 650 for use on Rogers...please report back as soon as you get it and tell us how it works. I was going to order an unlocked one via P1, but was put off by the fact they say it is not compatible with Rogers on the order page for the 650 (on the P1 site).

I don't see how it can not be compatible since it's quad band GSM and Rogers claims to have Edge on the majority of their network. I if it works with edge data speeds I am going to order pronto. Please let us know your experience once you get your units.

Thanks!
  3.    #23  
    ^i think they may have said that because rogers may be getting it (most likely) and well want to make it think that if you get one from p1 it wont work on rogers...
    Just got off the line with P1...ordered my 650 on 02/02, they expect to have it shipped out before the end of this week...man...tired of waiting.
    HoFo: That's what I think as well. But it's one thing to say "it might not be compatible" rather than "it is not compatible"...which would be an outright lie by P1 then.

I spoke to my Roger's rep and he said he thought it would be May when Roger's offered the 650. Take it with a grain of salt since he is just a rep and not an actual Roger's employee.
  6.    #26  
    ^all i know is that my p1 price is way cheaper than the treo 600 cost...so im assuming the treo 650 will cost the same if not more
  7.    #27  
    UPDATE: I called back PalmOne, due to the fact that "Ch" has not contacted me yet. I spoke to a stoner LOL, well he sounded stoned, but he was nice, named "T" He said he would fax me the next 24hrs with a document supposedly explaining the tax field breakdown for Canada. I will keep you all informed as per usual.
    I got tired of waiting and went to Rogers yesterday and bought a BlackBerry 7100.

Returned it this afternoon - hated it. My right hand is still cramping from using the navigation wheel.

The sales rep (nice guy, knows even less than I do) said he thinks it will be available in about three months. He called the 650 'buggy', they are having 'compatibility problems with the Rogers internet browser'. Does that make any sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jase
    I am completely new to this forum. Have been viewing for about 4 months, first waiting for the 600 to arrive in Canada, now waiting for the 650 GSM. Now that it is almost available here I am as giddy as a little schoolgirl.

Help me out here, on the PalmOne website when ordering an unlocked GSM version it specifically says that it is not compatible with Rogers Wireless - are they just messing with us?

Thanks for your patience,
    Jason

I was confused by that too. It refers to the Rogers CDMA service. If Rogers in your area is GSM, you will be fine. You can find this out by calling your local Rogers store and asking them.

Hope this helps.

E44
    Quote Originally Posted by Jase
    I got tired of waiting and went to Rogers yesterday and bought a BlackBerry 7100.

Returned it this afternoon - hated it. My right hand is still cramping from using the navigation wheel.

The sales rep (nice guy, knows even less than I do) said he thinks it will be available in about three months. He called the 650 'buggy', they are having 'compatibility problems with the Rogers internet browser'. Does that make any sense?

None at all. I think that you summed it up when you said that he knows even less than you. I am planning to be on Rogers and I am confident that the 650 will browse better than than the 600. Sounds like the guy is a boob, a nice boob but a boob none the less.
  11.    #31  
    Rogers = GSM (first network to get EDGE actually in North America...we went live Jun 1, 2004)...they either meant to say Bell or Telus, or they purposefully meant Rogers...reason being...Mr Rogers wants us to think that the unit will not work on their network until they release it...and well my Treo 650 unlocked is costing me approx 850CAD (thats with shipping border crossing etc)...whereas if the into price of the rogers Treo 650 is anything like the Treo 600 launch, it would cost 799 CAD plus Tax or approx 918.85CAD for a Rogers locked model. Chances are now that this has BT, and a sharper screen it will probably launch higher than the Treo 600, and maybe 849 --> 899 CAD (like when the P800 came to rogers). Both have valid warranties

BB 7100r = Sold mine yesterday for 450 CAD...thank god!!!...coming from a treo 600 to a 7100r is painful...bb does push email amazingly well...but thats it...the 7100 i found to be slower than my treo 600...and well im happy with my treo 600

Sorry the sales rep is smoking crack yo ...probably bought it from me...

Those words on the P1 site are to deter canadians from purchasing, ie to wait until rogers gets it (the only real GSM provider in canada...except for SimPro which is a no name network)....and well if it has 1900MHz band it will...it is has a 850 MHz as well...it will work better...if it is unlocked...it can be programmed to the carrier no matter where...and well this comes factory unlocked meaning the SIM lock is gone, and by Proxy as people on different networks would have to program as well, the WAP is unlocked as well...
    It will work on Rogers I'm sure. Of course there is always the possibility that there will be "issues" but I'm sure as team we'll get those worked out. I had a few kinds with n-gage /don't laugh - okay laugh/ and Rogers was helpful to a point but ultimately since they didn't sell me the phone they would only go so far to resolve my issues.

My fellow Canadians what data plan are thinking of getting? Rogers doesn't really have an unlimited plan. (Well, actually I found one for Blackberry's and I know you can use Blackberry plans with non-blackberry devices because I have in the past, but the BB plan requires a contract re-up which I'd like to avoid doing right now since I'm not getting a handset discount, and even that plan had an asterix saying they reserved the right to charge you more if you went over 25mb a month on their "unlimited" plan. Jerks.) Anyway does anyone have suggestions.
  13.    #33  
    the good thing about the treo 650, is that its somewhat like the treo 600..

i have the 60$ 15MB plan...
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    the good thing about the treo 650, is that its somewhat like the treo 600..

i have the 60$ 15MB plan...
    Yes, I figure in a pince I could tell the Rogers CSR I have a 600 and muddle my way through the help they offer. Mostly I'll just need WAP setting etc from them.

Using your 600 what's the average number of MB per month you use? Do you send/receive a lot of emails? Do you browse a lot?
  15.    #35  
    ^well this month will have been the first month since i used email and browswer hardcore...today is when my bill comes out but i havent seen it online yet...
    The Rogers rep that I spoke with offered me a unlimited data plan for $70. That is the one that I plan to go with.

-E44
  17.    #37  
    oy...my bill is finally online...and well...um...crap

Here is a breakdown:
    Corporate plan: 30.00
    Ultd Evenings: 5.00
    Data Max (Jan03/05 - Feb01/05): 58.00
    Data Max (Feb 2 - Mar 1): 60.00
    911: 0.50
    SAF: 6.95
    SMS Plan: 15.00
    Total LD charges: 5.70
    Total Data charges: 34.84
    Pay Per USe Charges: 0.00
    Total: 215.99
    Recurring adjustment: 47.60
    Better choice discount: 22.95
    Net wireless charges: 145.11
    GST: 10.18
    PST: 11.60
    QST: 0.03
    TOTAL CHARGES: 167.25

Data:
    Inclusive Data Usage: 14 878 kB = 0.00
    Overage data: 7 136 kB = 34.84
    Total: 22 014kB = 34.84

oh well...

total rogers bill is/was 320.88
    It'll be great if someone can post the information for setting up a Treo 650 to connect to the Internet via the data plan...like wap setting, server, etc...

Added: it's for Rogers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    My fellow Canadians what data plan are thinking of getting? Rogers doesn't really have an unlimited plan. (Well, actually I found one for Blackberry's and I know you can use Blackberry plans with non-blackberry devices because I have in the past, but the BB plan requires a contract re-up which I'd like to avoid doing right now since I'm not getting a handset discount, and even that plan had an asterix saying they reserved the right to charge you more if you went over 25mb a month on their "unlimited" plan. Jerks.) Anyway does anyone have suggestions.
    I'm on Fido, so I'll have Rogers extended 850 MHz coverage (CA$5/month) and Fido's unlimited GPRS package (CA$50/month). Now if only PalmOne would ship the stupid phone...

/duckman
    Philips PR95 (NMT) > Nokia 232 (AMPS) > Nokia 5190 & 5110 (GSM) > Ericsson R520m (unlocked GSM) > Treo 650 (unlocked GSM) on Fido
  20.    #40  
    ^yes but you are on fido so nah

i dont have them yet...but im going to ask my friend...cause what i need are:

MMS (which i have)
    WAP
    Media.com
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast