1. zdl
    Ok, my two week sprint trial is up. Show I stay or should I go? Based on the the posts, pure hate that seems to be pervasive for palmone. I'm not sure I want to be a part of it.

The phone resets itself at least once a day at random. Sprints photo mail and video mail blows compared to everyone else. Their data speed however rocks.

The phone has some cool features but it isn't perfect. At $400 plus a two year commitment it isn't worth the money. I needed much longer to decide on a two year commitment with my wife.

I'm almost sure to return it as much as I hate to. I have had a palm iiic, palm v, palm tungsten c, palm t3, treo 600 (three of them), and now a 650. I believe it will be my last palm. They have fumbled the ball and even turned their back on apple.

I can't imagine using that new hp pocket pc...
    Sounds like you've made your decision.

Regarding the resets, what applications have you installed?
    Quote Originally Posted by zdl
    The phone has some cool features but it isn't perfect. At $400 plus a two year commitment it isn't worth the money. I needed much longer to decide on a two year commitment with my wife.
    It takes a lot more than a $150 cancellation fee to get out of the two year commitment with your wife.

Why didn't ya do a 1 year contract?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    It takes a lot more than a $150 cancellation fee to get out of the two year commitment with your wife.
    LOL.
    trust me, its a nightmare
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I always had a love/hate relation with my Treo 600 but I hung on for almost a year. It was enjoyable. However, been there done that and don't really want to go through it again with the 650. In my 2 months with the Siemens SX66 I have had 1, yes 1 spontaneous reset. With MS! Yes, I can't believe it. I didn't have a daily one on my treo as you do, but I did have several PER week. Nobody is the same, but for what it's worth.........try it.......you might like it! EVIL AWAITS ON THE OTHER SIDE!
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zdl
    Ok, my two week sprint trial is up. Show I stay or should I go? Based on the the posts, pure hate that seems to be pervasive for palmone. I'm not sure I want to be a part of it.

The phone resets itself at least once a day at random. Sprints photo mail and video mail blows compared to everyone else. Their data speed however rocks.

I'm almost sure to return it as much as I hate to. I have had a palm iiic, palm v, palm tungsten c, palm t3, treo 600 (three of them), and now a 650. I believe it will be my last palm. They have fumbled the ball and even turned their back on apple.

Sorry to hear your troubles:

My 2 cents...

Had my 650 since December,

Never had a soft Reset
    Mail works great
    Phone works great
    Programs work great
    BT headset works great (Will owrk better when I can voice dial through it)
    great reception (live in So CA, but traveled with it)
    clear and loud
    Sprint is great

So in a nut shell, I'm very happy with my purchase and have a hard time putting my 650 down.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAnderson
    Had my 650 since December,

Never had a soft Reset
    Please tell me where you bought this mystical device.

My experiences are a little worse...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=71912
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I've had pretty good luck myself. Only trouble I've had was when dumping shovelware onto it. Had the same problem on my TC and my PC.

I think I see my pattern now...

-D
    You will be happy with Pocket PC because of its OS.....But then , for software , you will be glad that Palm is better in most cases

Up to you , I use both (now I am completly using Treo and Tungsten|E with WiFi) , so I am connected , wherever I go , If There is no coverage , I could use WiFi with Tungsten..no problem
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I have to agree with JAnderson. I own 2 Treo 650's, one for my girl, and haven't had a problem with either. I love the device. While it is still a long way from being perfect, I haven't had any resets or dropped calls.

As far as Sprint? Can't say I've had a problem with them either. Yes, the picture mail isn't great, but the data plan is awesome.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Oh yeah, I've owned 3 PPC's, and sold my last one for the Treo. I was just too tired of trying to make it work with my Mac. I've had no problems with the Treo.
    Don't be a FOOL! Return it!!! I say !!!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    To me the keys to avoiding trouble are:
    1) keep as much free RAM as possible--moving apps to an SD card with ZLauncher seems to be the best way to do that (I have tried PowerRun and other launchers and ZLauncher has less problems)
    2) figure out which apps are causing resets and dump them

There are apparently some hardware issues, but I haven't experienced any expect for a mushy "P" key, which is a genuine manufacturing issue. I have had my Treo 650 for about 5 weeks and love it. I consider myself a pretty heavy power user and have found what the device will handle and what it won't. It is picky with a lot of older software or even newer software that isn't designed to be aware of the nonvolatile RAM. I have unexpected resets about twice a week--mildly annoying but not a show-stopper. I use the web, email, and IM via VeriChat; the phone quality is great (have Shadowmite's custom ROM #3 for improved phone sound quality). I love having VoiceSignal's Voice Dial to dial any of my 300+ contacts by voice. I use Zlauncher to keep most apps on the card. I occasionally listen to internet streaming audio with Pocket Tunes. I have full Documents to Go (and use all its features), and keep the applications on the card with the Dataviz Tech Tool. I keep many medical references on the SD card, read PDF's with Adobe Reader for Palm, use iPedia for online queries to Wikipedia, read the Bible, and play AcidFreecell when I can't go to sleep. I have my device set for scheduled backups to SD card with BackupMan. I could go on and on. The device has its problems, and some people seem to have much worse experiences than I, but this is my 4th Palm OS device in 6 years and its far, far the best I've had. It has quickly become indispensible to me, far better than a Palm plus a separate cell phone.
    I had my 650 since the day before thanksgiving remember how excited i was to receive it . I am now on my thiird one in less then three months and i guess i have a love hate relationship with it. One thing i am certain when it work it is the best thing out there and i am finding that being a power user i was putting a lot on it which was causing problems.Things have settled down quite a bit on this new unit and the love part is comming back less resets in fact i had none yesterday and so far today.Will not trade it for anything that is out there now.

Fred
    I never cease to be amazed at how many people cycle through replacement Treos. Fortunately, I don't have any major problems with my Treo 650 hardware.

I have had some issues with third-party software. I installed Win-hand about a week ago, and a few days later my Treo 650 wouldn't power on, and I had to reset it twice. I changed the setting in Win-hand to not save the screen data to memory when exiting, and the problem seems to be solved.

Isn't software the cause of most other people's problems too? Based on my experience, the Treo 650 hardware itself seems almost flawless, with the sole exception being the overly-sensitive microphone which I overcome by using a headset. The Palm OS on the other hand could use some further stability enhancements. It's reminds me of the Mac OS at versions 8 or 9...then OS X came out and stabilized everything. Palm needs an OS X for the Treo.

So I'm curious, are people exchanging the Treo in order to solve software problems, or is everyone just having issues with their "p" key or voice quality?
    After cleaning up a LOT of 3rd party programs my Treo 650 is now running faster and more stable. Love it!
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar

Why didn't ya do a 1 year contract?
    Joebar, you are an absolute stitch!

Stupid me, I didn't even realize we could get time based contracts on wives.
    It's now proven that any Treo650 you buy must first be exorcised of any demonic spirits before turning it on for the first time. Please reconsider buying one and if in doubt, don't start anymore "Should I buy it or Shouldn't I" post. just don't buy it.

As a current user and owner of the Treo650, I've become psychotic in being happy with it. Kinda like the "SHINING".
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_monkey
    I have had some issues with third-party software. I installed Win-hand about a week ago, and a few days later my Treo 650 wouldn't power on, and I had to reset it twice. I changed the setting in Win-hand to not save the screen data to memory when exiting, and the problem seems to be solved.
    Never had an issue using Win-Hand, it is one of my favorite apps!