1.    #1  
    Pardon the noob question, but I noticed that Chatteremail keeps my treo 650 online all the time (the two little green arrows on top of the signal strength bars). Chatter works great, but my question is, is being online all the time going to rack up high usage charges or drain the battery?
    No. Being connected does not equal usage. The arrrows are grey when just connected and green when connected and transferring.
  3.    #3  
    Well, I hope I am not going color blind, but my arrows are green all the time. The only way I can get them off is to use the Chatteremail "Shutdown and Disconnect" option. If I go to Blazer or Network Prefs and I hit disconnect, it reconnect right back on. I called myself and I can get calls, so being green is not interfering with my call reception, but I haven't seen a grey arrow yet. I have a single black triangle when I am not connected, which I guess means I have access to data services, but I am not using them.

I shut down Chatter and launched Blazer, and after the page loaded I still get the green arrows all the time, so I dont think its Chatter's fault. The arrows arent moving or anything, they are just there.

Oh well...
    I think perhaps you might be color blind. Use blazer and load a page. Refresh and watch the arrows.they don't move they change color.
  5.    #6  

Technology is amazing....

So, green arrows means I am connected (GSM), but there is no way of knowing if there is activity going on. I could be green all day and not transfer anything hardly at all.

Is there any way (or app or 3rd party utility) that can track how many kbs are actually being exchanged?
  6.    #7  

http://www.treocentral.com/content/FAQ/37.htm

Ok, I'll read the whole FAQ now...

Right. On GSM, the arrows are always on, and there's no simply way of knowing when data is being transferred. Or how much. For that reason, I don't necessarily recommend ChatterEmail (or any data intensive app) for people on pay-as-you-go data plans.

Marc
    there may be some free apps that claim to track data usage over GSM for the 600. the last time i used them i found them to be somewhat inaccurate. (within 30% maybe, but still not exactly tracking my usage.) Unfortunately, the one i used on my 270, 'kbtracker', does not support the 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Pardon the noob question, but I noticed that Chatteremail keeps my treo 650 online all the time (the two little green arrows on top of the signal strength bars). Chatter works great, but my question is, is being online all the time going to rack up high usage charges or drain the battery?
    Are you on VZW or Sprint? I had alot of problems being on Chatter 24*7, with the connectivity.