1.    #1  
    i've read quite a bit on this forum and think that one of my first downloads for my 650 should be a file utility app, as I'm experiencing some heinous versamail POP connection issues, screen freeze, periodic battery drain (at at about 30% an hour), etc. so, i need a utility to add/delete files to try to troubleshoot some of the above issues (per shadowmite and linux guy threads).

Q: to minimize zlauncher space on my ram, what files do i have to download for the 650 aside from the 486kb main app? i have a list of themes, plugins, etc. to choose from a large zip folder...i'd rather not load up if i don't have to..

anyone have experience here??

or, does anyone know how much memory zlauncher is taking up on their pda? that might help me benchmark.

thanks, hbomb
  2.    #2  
    Update: after downloading zlauncher (which is working), i went from 10+mb left on my pda, to 6.8m...so approximately 3 to 3.5 mb sucked up by zlauncher. does that sound right??
    How many themes did you install?
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
  4.    #4  
    i'm afraid all. i've since then deleted all but two themes that should save close to a meg. thanks..what about GIF files?? i downloaded about 50 or so that were in the zlauncher\themedocs\images folder...not sure these were intended to support zlauncher or the web content guide sent with the download.??
    Whoa! I guess it all depends on what you want to do with zLauncher. I was primarily interested in shifting all the apps and databases I could onto SD and protect as many bytes of precious RAM as possible without sacrificing too much convenience. It didn't occur to me to add a theme at all until zL refused to start without one. If you're going for eye candy, there are probably ways to shift most of that burden onto SD, too, but I can't say how off the top of my head.
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    I've noticed that Zlauncher reports a differing amount of free RAM sometimes. This is without my adding anything or deleting anything.
    Here is what i do:

Use Zlauncher- don't do a background picture, don't do any more than one theme. Keep it simple.

Ditch Versa- use Snapper. If you're hardcore you burn it into ROM and steal space.

Use Zlauncher to put every stupid program into a card. Make sure you leave the FEW that CAN'T. For a program like Docs to go- go to their webpage and look at the nifty program they have that magically gives you back like 3 megs or something. I have about 8-10 megs free at any given instant and I GUARANTEE I run more software than ANYONE on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    Here is what i do:

Use Zlauncher- don't do a background picture, don't do any more than one theme. Keep it simple.

Ditch Versa- use Snapper. If you're hardcore you burn it into ROM and steal space.

Use Zlauncher to put every stupid program into a card. Make sure you leave the FEW that CAN'T. For a program like Docs to go- go to their webpage and look at the nifty program they have that magically gives you back like 3 megs or something. I have about 8-10 megs free at any given instant and I GUARANTEE I run more software than ANYONE on this forum.
    How do I identify the files that belong to a given program that I want to move to the HD card? I see how to highlight the files. Not sure on how to actually move them or where on the HD card to move them too? Does ZLauncher create a folder on the HD card for the files moved? or are they just dumped in some kind of order at all on the card? How do I go about installing Snapper to ROM and how do I remove VersaMail?

Thanks in advance.

Is Snapper more stable? Does it have features that would be more advantageous for me? I run a global business out of my 650