Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hey, it is supply & demand...

Some dude at PalmOne is smart- they jack up the price to $699 and then make as it as though folks can still get it at $599 by calling.... Whao!
    THe Treo600 was $599 when it came out and it was $100 more for the unlocked version when it went live I though. SO this would make sence on the 650 too, they did a typo, at least they honored the price for the ones that saw it, unlike the 1G SD card that some Newegg want to be that reneged on about 6-9months ago and just said..Oh well...sorry.....THere were a bunch of people here that were ticked and the worse part, i think they just canceled the order and nerver alerted the buyer. there was some user rating site that pulled down the review for said company.......
    Quote Originally Posted by soccrnj80
    PalmOne announced on it's website that the treo unlocked 650 gsm was 599.00, which is more than cingular's. The posting on this whole thread is that PalmOne can't make up a price of 599.00 one day and 24 hours later change it to 699.00. If they had originally posted the price as 699.00 nobody would be this ticked off. They themselves explain why an unlocked phone is more expensive.

The whole point of this thread is: "STICK TO YOUR ANNOUNCED PRICE, NO MATTER WHAT!! WE SHOULD NOT PAY MORE BECAUSE CINGULAR ASKED YOU TO RAISE THE PRICE, OR IF YOUR REALLY THAT BAD OF A COMPANY AND MADE A TYPO ON YOUR PRICE AT PRODUCT LAUNCH, DEAL WITH YOUR MISTAKE, IT'S CALLED A LESSON!!!!!"
    I drove by my corner gas station today, and the gas price went up another 2 cents a gallon. How dare them!!! Exxon, Shell, Chevron, Conoco, BP.....are you listening??? I refuse to pay higher prices....I demand that you stick to your prices originally announced 24 hours ago!!!

Exxon, Shell, Chevron, Sunoco, BP have to be the worst companies in the world.....somebody please sue them!!!
    Rome-

Despite the craziness of the enthusiasts on this board, Treo prices do not fluctuate on the world market, although the idea of "Treo Producing and Exporting Countries (TPEC)" is slightly amusing. lol
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
  5.    #25  
    QUote fromRome:"I drove by my corner gas station today, and the gas price went up another 2 cents a gallon. How dare them!!! Exxon, Shell, Chevron, Conoco, BP.....are you listening??? I refuse to pay higher prices....I demand that you stick to your prices originally announced 24 hours ago!!!

Exxon, Shell, Chevron, Sunoco, BP have to be the worst companies in the world.....somebody please sue them!!!"

That is the stupidest example someone could have given, gas prices go up and down depending on the price of gas that those companies like the ones you mentioned can sell it at due to import/export laws.

PalmOne is not a gas company, and there shoudln't be fluctuations in price, not 24 hours after a product is launched especially fluctuating up $100.00

ROME come up with an intelligent example to try and make a point not your above quote. I am not saying prices cannot fluctuate like gas, stocks, etc.

WHAT A STUPID REBUTTLE... Maybe my thread finally got read by a palmone employee, sounds like a STUPID way of them trying to justify a price increase, if your not working for palmone, that makes your quote even worse. When you can have an intelligent example or rebuttle post it and I would entertain your example, but your above is ASSANINE!!

Read all major tech sites, cnet, engadget,treonauts, zdnet, gizmodo,watchster brighthand. They all are posting this same story, and calling it a huge blunder. I am not the only one who thinks that this is very bad for a company selling a product whose prices do not fluctuate on a daily basis because of import/export , and then raise it due to another company requesting it(cingular),not a company whose product is accepted and known to fluctuate like your gas example.

I SERIOUSLY hope you work for palmone then it would explain your quote, if not read up on why certain things like gas, and stocks can fluctuate and are acceptable. Like I said hopefully you work for palmone, it would explain EVERYTHING
    Last edited by soccrnj80; 02/06/2005 at 06:47 PM.
  6.    #26  
    Thanks 02flhcri for backing my point up!!
    soccrnj80, you sure like to use the word "stupid" a lot.

You didn't get my points, did you? It is called Economics 101, stupid!!! It doesn't matter if the goods are steel, paper, gas, oil, or smartphones...prices in a free economy tend to be driven by supply and demand, not always, but most of the time. Last time I checked, the good old USA is still a capitalist society.

Since my previous example was too difficult for you to comprehend, I will try a different one. When Treo 600 first came out and was in short supply, did you notice how much the phone was fetching on eBay? Much higher than $599 I can assure you. Where were you then? Did you write an open letter to eBay, P1, or the ebay seller too?

The bottom line is that this is a free society and companies can charge whatever the market is willing to bear, except in certain situations like after a natural disaster. The smartphone market has proven over time that it is willing to pay more for an unlocked GSM phone, and why shouldnít P1 charge more?

Last but not the least, I donít work for P1, never have and probably never will. P1 made a pricing mistake and deserved some bad publicityÖ.thatís all. If you donít like the new price, donít buy the phone. If enough people donít buy the phone, P1 will get the message and lower the price itself. Till then, it is your money and you can do whatever the hell you want to. While you are making up your mind on the Treo 650, why donít you try writing an open letter to the certified monopoly in Redmond, Washington (aka Microsoft) and ask them to lower their prices on their buggy and virus-prone OS?
    I was ready to get my unlocked Treo for $599. As a Canadian after taxes and duty it adds up. Now it's up $100USD and I will pass. Almost $1000 CND with the price increase after taxes and duty. It's not worth that much.

I called trying to get the initial price of $599 but they told me it was a 48 hour promotion only. What crap? They saw how brisk business was and they just jacked up the price. No typo or mistake, just greed.
  9.    #29  
    Your previous example was comprehended, it was a stupid example. Anything that is in short supply can go higher on ebay, they are an auction site. How many stupid examples are you going to give.

EBAY??? Of course treo 600's were going for more on ebay, I understand supply and demand.

PalmOne is not ebay, and should not raise their price in less than 24 hours because they decided "hey maybe our first price was too low, we can really get 100.00 more out of people that really want our product" No reputable company would EVER do that. Your whole microsoft analogy is another stupid example, stick to the thread topic. Anyways I use a powerbook , so have no need to entertain your request of me writing Microsoft a letter.

Answer me this can you honestly say that you think it was ok of PalmOne to up the price of their treo by 100.00 in less than 24 hours????

PalmOne didn't up the price because of the whole rant you went on about supply and demand, and America being a capitolist society. That totally makes no sense.

How would you feel if you and your co-worker bought a car, the same exact car.You both went to the dealer and got a price of 25,000.00 and you talked to your co-worker who bought the same exact car, that you both got a price24 hours prior, but he got to the dealer the day before you did. You both show up to work, and you tell him "I bought the same car you did, but they decided to up the price 5000.00 because they know alot of people want this car. He bought it only 24 hours before you and paid 5000.00 less. Would you accept that and pay the same dealer 5000.00 more for the same exact car that you were both told was 25,000.00 ?? I highly doubt it, if you did thats not very smart on your part.

I know there is a huge difference between a car and a phone, but it's the principal. All those tech sites are reporting that it was most likely due from pressure by cingular.

Just understand my point of creating this thread, it looks very bad on PalmOne's part for doing what they did.

Ebay, supply and demand... Do you even understand what happened???
    Heck, boys and girls, this is just one marketing screw-up among many, not to mention the problems with the TREO 650 telephone itself. Seems to me it would have been smarter to do something like announce that the price was a mistake, but since they already posted it, it will go up next Tuesday or something. Give their loyal customers something to be loyal about, you know? Not that the concept has ever occured to PalmOne...

Of course, they are counting on those good people who think PalmOne never, ever makes any mistakes to defend them on this little snafu...
    Last edited by GWB; 02/07/2005 at 08:41 AM.
  11.    #31  
    I agree with you 100% GWB, they should have announced they made a mistake, and give a firm date when the new price will be effective. Example:" We did make a mistake, but we will honor that price for x number of days before the correct price goes into effect. At least then they covered their backs, not just quietly raising the price. Some people are still getting the treo 650 from them for the 599.00 price because PalmOne knows that they made a huge mistake. They should acknowledge the mistake and give a firm date as to when the lower price will expire, at least that would make them not look as bad opposed to them just changing the price on their website after it was publicly announced and advertised. The day they announced I know all the major palm sites were stating palmOne's price of 599.00, and in less than 24 hours they changed the price quietly. They should have issued a press release, not this info getting out because people started posting to forums and emailing sites like treonauts, brighthand, cnet, engadget etc. that they quietly upped the price . I know mistakes happen. I have a feeling that tomorrow there mightl be a response from palmOne on this. This story is all over the net, and it is making palmOne look bad, go to treonauts.com and see what they are doing about this situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by djrickp
    Wow, that could be the world's largest paragraph!
    No kidding! I wanted to read the rant, but gave up after a few lines of repeated thoughts, no paragraph breaks, and a typo!!
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Looks like I never will become a owner of a Palmproduct, ive been mighty happy with my Handspring units though. (180g, 180, 270 and 600) :P
  14.    #34  
    This proves my point:

http://blog.treonauts.com/
  15.    #35  
    I am not saying that the price it too high, that palmone shouldn't be able to charge what they want. Treonauts.com sums it up best to why I created this thread.
    Sorry, soccr... read some of the votes on that treonaut blog thing... While lots of people agree with you about this, there is a strong current of, "we love our TREO 650's, they are perfect, PalmOne can do no wrong in our eyes, they can charge whatever they want and we will pay it gladly because they are the best....."

Are they gonna listen to YOU, or to the folks that say they are doing everything just right?
    Not trying to be a troll, but I don't believe PalmOne has any obligation to sell this item at the lower price point. Sure, we all want to feel like we're getting a good deal, and as good a deal as others got, but PalmOne is in the business of making money.

As someone has already pointed out, basic supply and demand says that when demand exceeds supply, price goes up. Obviously the price that PalmOne originally set was too low, since the product is now on backorder. In the end, PalmOne must answer to its customers and its investors, and should sell the Treo for as close to the market price as possible. Each and every consumer can choose whether or not they feel the unlocked treo is worth $699-- if you feel that it's not, don't buy it, or wait for the price to drop, which it eventually will.

As for PalmOne misleading people, I don't think they're guilty of this either. Why would a company purposely put a product up for a lower price than they know its worth, when they know that the people who stay up until midnight to buy a new phone are crazy enough to pay any price they ask. The only thing PalmOne is guilty of here is being dumb and not taking advantage of an opportunity to make more money.

Again, I wish the price was lower, but I don't feel that PalmOne should be villified for what is simply a wise business decision. I don't even think they deserve bad publicity. Too often these forums just become sounding boards for whiners who want to feel powerful that they started some kind of revolution. If you get off on that great, but in the end we're all a bunch of nerds that want to be the first on the block to have a cool toy that'll serve us well, and strike up a few conversations for us-- each of us can determine whether having an unlocked treo at a a certain price is worth it.

I also find it ironic that people are so obsessed with this unlocked thing. I'd be willing to bet that most of the TreoCentral members don't even leave their county on a regular basis, and much less travel the world. And even for those who do take the occasional vacation, when you're touring italy's wine country, dining in paris, or exploring london, why do you need your treo with you? Plus, with the consolidation of Wireless carriers you don't even have many networks to move to. If you're a business traveler and the treo is part of your business arsenal, then $200 isn't a big price to pay (or your company to pay) to help you make money.
    What's less clear to me is why all you guys have your panties in a bunch about this. Did you even try to order an unlocked 650 from PalmOne (by phone) after the price change?

I did. And I got it for $599. All I had to say was that I'd seen the price of $599 on their site and that I wouldn't pay $699.

I agree that it could've been handled better, but the amount of bitterness sounds like people are just pissed that they now have to spend an extra $100...when in fact they don't.

TM
    Quote Originally Posted by soccrnj80
    Answer me this can you honestly say that you think it was ok of PalmOne to up the price of their treo by 100.00 in less than 24 hours????

PalmOne didn't up the price because of the whole rant you went on about supply and demand, and America being a capitolist society. That totally makes no sense.

How would you feel if you and your co-worker bought a car, the same exact car.You both went to the dealer and got a price of 25,000.00 and you talked to your co-worker who bought the same exact car, that you both got a price24 hours prior, but he got to the dealer the day before you did. You both show up to work, and you tell him "I bought the same car you did, but they decided to up the price 5000.00 because they know alot of people want this car. He bought it only 24 hours before you and paid 5000.00 less. Would you accept that and pay the same dealer 5000.00 more for the same exact car that you were both told was 25,000.00 ?? I highly doubt it, if you did thats not very smart on your part.

I know there is a huge difference between a car and a phone, but it's the principal. All those tech sites are reporting that it was most likely due from pressure by cingular.

Just understand my point of creating this thread, it looks very bad on PalmOne's part for doing what they did.

Ebay, supply and demand... Do you even understand what happened???
    Of course, it is okay and legal for P1 to raise price. I am totally fine with that. Let me also remind you that you do NOT have to pay the $699 price. Just buy a Cingular phone and unlock it yourself.....or don't buy the phone at all. The point I am getting at is that this is a free society and buyers and sellers can do whatever they want as long as it is legal and ethical.

Your car example is another solid demonstration of your ignorance. Car prices flucturate all the time, from day to day, week to week, and month to month. One quick example is the rebate game the car manufacturers play. Rebates often change from month to month, it can be $2000 one month and $1000 the next month, essentially raising final car prices. Another example is the Mini Cooper; its dealer price quickly went up $3000 above sticker when it first came up and demand exceeded supply.

We may never know for sure why P1 raised their unlocked Treo price. And I feel bad for those here on the board who didn't get it at the $599 price. But I also realize that P1 is a business, and a business cannot survive unless it makes money. You can rant all you want, but at least try to educate yourself and understand the issues before you start calling people stupid.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    This situation is nothing new. Dell makes price mistakess quite often, and its usually Russian roulette on whether or not the mistake price is honored. Usually depends on how drastic the mistake is.

Did anyone order before the price went up? Were those orders honored or cancelled? If honored, IMHO, that was a tremendous show of loyalty to their customers, if not, its par for the course.

If they honored the first people to order them, and now you're complaining, sounds like sour grapes to me...

And just so you know, I'm quite content with my Sprint 650.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast