1.    #1  
    Got my 650 Tuesday from BLUE. Just dropped in the sim that was in my Nokia 6620. Never called ATT to register the phone ... just started using it.

Just went to the ATT site to make sure I haven't been billed for any data on my "cheap" unlimited plan (I have NOT) and they show that I have a Treo 650.

Guess they can tell (as some one else here mentioned).
    ermm...you did order it from at&t nbo, no? why wouldn't they know what phone you're using.

or better yet, to put this theory to the the test, let's see if it does the same for people who ordered their unlocked treo's from p1. if their online account information updates with the new equipment, i'd be very surprised.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  3.    #3  
    I thought that at first, but I have 4 lines on my bill. It's listed on the proper line. When I ordered it they had no idea what line it was going on. How would they know which of my 4 phones to remove and replace with the 650?

Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    ermm...you did order it from at&t nbo, no? why wouldn't they know what phone you're using.

or better yet, to put this theory to the the test, let's see if it does the same for people who ordered their unlocked treo's from p1. if their account's update with the new equipment, then i'd be very surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    I thought that at first, but I have 4 lines on my bill. It's listed on the proper line. When I ordered it they had no idea what line it was going on. How would they know which of my 4 phones to remove and replace with the 650?
    ahh..interesting.

well then let's try this. power down your treo and insert your sim back into the old phone. wait for a minute or two and then power it back up, make a test call, and then check the account info again. if it isn't updated with the old handset, then i'd say they just added your 650 arbitrarily to the account when you first ordered it.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  5.    #5  
    I was going to do that but it may take a couple days to "discover" it or for it to show. It was originally in my 6620 which is sold but I have a LG I will try it in. I'll put in in for the rest of today and see what happens. I will have to access the web (mMode portal) as I think that would be the key.

Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    ahh..interesting.

well then let's try this. power down your treo and insert your sim back into the old phone. wait for a minute or two and then power it back up, make a test call, and then check the account info again. if it isn't updated with the old handset, then i'd say they just added your 650 arbitrarily to the account when you first ordered it.
  6.    #6  
    Well, I guess this pretty much conclusively proves it:

http://img73.exs.cx/img73/2929/picture00018ar.jpg

http://img73.exs.cx/img73/7269/picture00020kj.jpg

Loaded the Sim in the LG, accessed the web on the LG, immediately went to ATT's site from my PC and the phone description was BLANK. Hit refresh on my PC and it was the current phone I was using.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Well, I guess this pretty much conclusively proves it:

http://img73.exs.cx/img73/2929/picture00018ar.jpg

http://img73.exs.cx/img73/7269/picture00020kj.jpg

Loaded the Sim in the LG, accessed the web on the LG, immediately went to ATT's site from my PC and the phone description was BLANK. Hit refresh on my PC and it was the current phone I was using.

i wonder what if you use other phones, preferably not in attws offering? eg: s700i, k700i, e680, imate JAM, xda IIs.....

anyone tried it before?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I switch phones frequently and AT&T's web site updates very quickly to show whatever phone I've been using for the last few hours. T-Mobile does the same thing but for them it takes a few days. When I use an unknown phone, neither have ID'd it so far (i.e.: XDA II).
    Lisa G.
    Editor in Chief
    www.MobileTechReview.com
    I've been curious about this, too. Anyone know if there's a place your phone is posted on Cingular's site? I'm new to Cing, but I have the 650 and another phone/SIM, and I've switched them a couple of times. When I go to the My Phone page on their site, I don't see any listing of my actual equipment.
    tmobile does this as well. its transmitted in your connection to the cell tower i believe.
    T-mo does it with my treo which "was" a locked tmo that i didn't purchase through them.....
    wondering if they have a imei database for their own locked phones hence my unlocked 650 i am waiting on will answer that question if it doesn't show up...
    wouldn't the carrier get the SIM info and the ESN too? I bet the ESN numbers are proprietary to the manufacturer, like MAC addresses I assume? Just a thought from a CDMA user that doesn't know squat about GSM/GPRS.
  13.    #13  
    Yea, actually it's the IMEI that does what the ESN does. It's really no surprise except that some here have said "it's technologically possible but they don't do it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    wouldn't the carrier get the SIM info and the ESN too? I bet the ESN numbers are proprietary to the manufacturer, like MAC addresses I assume? Just a thought from a CDMA user that doesn't know squat about GSM/GPRS.