Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Facer or 2day, which one is a better product?
    I am using Today and I like it. Mainly it uses drop downs to show dates and todos.

It doesn't seem to see TreoMail.

Another on is WASSUP. Still no treomail but snapper works.
    2day is a fantastic app.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    i like 2day
    IMHO, Facer is good for "cute"; 2day is best for cute AND functional. Can't beat it's always-visible notes re pending emails, IMs, etc. Also has a great system for showing/handling ToDo's and datebook events, and plays nice with Agendus (remarkable in itself!).
    I find both Facer and 2Day ugly and counter-intuitive. Facer is buggy in addition to being ugly and not completely optimized for the Treo 650 despite what they say in the documentation. YMMV.

2Day is made by a nice developer and while I cannot stand the look of it, is full of features and consistently supported and updated. The lack of Hi-Res is a show stopper.

Personally, I have used both Facer and 2Day as well as Today and Wassup. None of them quite get it for me. The closest is Wassup with it's clean interface and many available skins as well as a skin maker. However Wassup has not been optimized for the 650, so I have stopped using it despite being a registered user. (bought when I had a T|3)

Today is not updated very frequently and has a developer that is hot and cold about updates. It his however free and has some skins out there. It isn't updated to take advantage of the 650's features either.

That left me with ZLaunchers today plugin. Nice looking, tweakable and stable. BUT DOG SLOW!!! OMG! Unusably slow.

So, for now I am using the stock agenda view in the calendar app. Not as good as the others, but good enough, no memory footprint, looks nice, integrated nicely, stable and uses the 650's 5-way.

My bet is that Wassup will be updated eventually and I will reinstall it. The developer is Australian and doesn't update for the newer devices as quickly as an american developer. I will also retry 2Day when he updates for Hi-Res...

Good Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    I find both Facer and 2Day ugly and counter-intuitive. Facer is buggy in addition to being ugly and not completely optimized for the Treo 650 despite what they say in the documentation. YMMV.

2Day is made by a nice developer and while I cannot stand the look of it, is full of features and consistently supported and updated. The lack of Hi-Res is a show stopper.

Personally, I have used both Facer and 2Day as well as Today and Wassup. None of them quite get it for me. The closest is Wassup with it's clean interface and many available skins as well as a skin maker. However Wassup has not been optimized for the 650, so I have stopped using it despite being a registered user. (bought when I had a T|3)

Today is not updated very frequently and has a developer that is hot and cold about updates. It his however free and has some skins out there. It isn't updated to take advantage of the 650's features either.

That left me with ZLaunchers today plugin. Nice looking, tweakable and stable. BUT DOG SLOW!!! OMG! Unusably slow.

So, for now I am using the stock agenda view in the calendar app. Not as good as the others, but good enough, no memory footprint, looks nice, integrated nicely, stable and uses the 650's 5-way.

My bet is that Wassup will be updated eventually and I will reinstall it. The developer is Australian and doesn't update for the newer devices as quickly as an american developer. I will also retry 2Day when he updates for Hi-Res...

Good Luck
    2Day has my vote! Shimon has recently updated 2Day to support Hi-Res graphics. He has also integrated 2Day with most of *my* applications.

Jeff
    Where is the Hi-Res version of 2day?

On page 58, post #1146 from the 15th of January in the 2day beta thread, he refers to "when he releases a hi-res version of 2day..." and there are only 59 pages in the thread, with no further references to a hi-res version release...

On the 2day page there is no reference to hi-res.

I found the updated list at PalmGear after searching while writing this post. Off to look for a hi-res skin, are there any?

Does the app actually run native in hi-res or is just support for hi-res bitmaps in the skin file?

Going to test...
    Where is the Hi-Res version of 2day?

On page 58, post #1146 from the 15th of January in the 2day beta thread, he refers to "when he releases a hi-res version of 2day..." and there are only 59 pages in the thread, with no further references to a hi-res version release...

On the 2day page there is no reference to hi-res.

I found the updated list at PalmGear after searching while writing this post. Off to look for a hi-res skin, are there any?

Does the app actually run native in hi-res or is just support for hi-res bitmaps in the skin file?

Going to test...
    I think it is all Hi-res for the Treo 650. I am running 1.31 beta09m.

You can get the latest releases at ShSH Software

The program looks great on my 650!

Jeff

ReEdit: Here is a link to some Hi-Res file that I use:

http://gotreosoftware.com/Image_Files
    Last edited by jeffgibson; 02/06/2005 at 02:33 PM.
    Wow, with respect to both you and the developer of 2day, it still looks, well...awful on my 650...also incredibly long delay in switching in and out of the program, completely unacceptable IMO.

Not native hi-res IMO, I would post a screen shot, but when I went to uninstall it, my 650 reset....not ready for primetime I don't think.

I respect you two, I see you posting on here, I am glad you are actively supporting your software, but 2day blows. Still not hi-res, slow, very slow in and out of the software and the reset upon uninstall was not what I would call polished.

I cannot recommend 2day.
    Wow, with respect to both you and the developer of 2day, it still looks, well...awful on my 650...also incredibly long delay in switching in and out of the program, completely unacceptable IMO.

Not native hi-res IMO, I would post a screen shot, but when I went to uninstall it, my 650 reset....not ready for primetime I don't think.

I respect you two, I see you posting on here, I am glad you are actively supporting your software, but 2day blows. Still not hi-res, slow, very slow in and out of the software and the reset upon uninstall was not what I would call polished.

I cannot recommend 2day.
    Very interesting. I know that Shimon is working hard to make this program the best it can be. I have forwarded your comments to him so he can understand your experience.

Jeff
    Wow, I am just bowled over that someone thinks 2day looks good, I had to reinstall and take a screenshot, plus I wanted to test the in and out of the software time to quanitfy my point.

5 seconds to exit the software to my phone app (stock phone app), unacceptable IMO. The stock agenda view, while not as full featured as 2day is instantaneous. 4 seconds to load the 2day app on my device, again, unacceptable.

Just tested again and it took 9 seconds to exit to my launcher (ZLauncher). No way that is acceptable, not for me.

Here is a screenshot of both, basically as installed with a small amount of configuring. Which looks hi-res, and which looks better?

Thanks for sending my comments on to him, again I respect the both of you for your positive and active involvement in these forums. I know my comments may sound a bit harsh, but I am not that bad a guy, just an honest, call it as I see it software critic.

Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wow, I am just bowled over that someone thinks 2day looks good, I had to reinstall and take a screenshot, plus I wanted to test the in and out of the software time to quanitfy my point.

5 seconds to exit the software to my phone app (stock phone app), unacceptable IMO. The stock agenda view, while not as full featured as 2day is instantaneous. 4 seconds to load the 2day app on my device, again, unacceptable.

Just tested again and it took 9 seconds to exit to my launcher (ZLauncher). No way that is acceptable, not for me.

Here is a screenshot of both, basically as installed with a small amount of configuring. Which looks hi-res, and which looks better?

Thanks for sending my comments on to him, again I respect the both of you for your positive and active involvement in these forums. I know my comments may sound a bit harsh, but I am not that bad a guy, just an honest, call it as I see it software critic.

Cheers.
    I appreciate the kind words and also your view point! I have no motives here other than to help others get better use out of their Treo's.

Here is a shot of my 2Day screen for comparison.

Jeff
    Hi all,

Thank you for your input.

I am aware of those two main issues (BIG issues) with 2day on the Treo 650:

1. 2day is not truely hi-res right now - I will be porting all of it's icons for hi-res as soon asap. The background picture can be hi-res right now.

2. Working slow - yes, this is a major issue. Caused by the fact the Treo 650 uses the new PIM databases, while 2day uses the old format.
    Since Palm released the device witht the new PIM databases, but knew it would take time for developers to port their applications to work with this format (especially since they have not yet revealed the internal format of those new PIM databases), they implemeneted an "emulation" layer of software that enables 3rd party applications to "think" they are working on the old databases.
    Downside is - this works exteremly slow...

To solve this slowness issue, I would have to figure out the format of those new PIM databases (my guess is Palm will not publish them shortly, only to several big developers like Agendus, Datebook, ...), so this may take time.

Believe me - I am truely sorry for this.

3. One last thing - I agree wassup looks "cleaner", but this has somewhat to do with functionality/looks tradeoff - it shows meetings/tasks summary only, while 2day actually allows you immediate access to those items.
    You can get rid of many of 2day's "clutter" using preferences.
    I am considering adding an option to show only summaries.

Thanks again for any input - I always cherished user input, and think it has a big part of my application's quality.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Does 2day show birthdays and anniversaries as well as appointments...?
    I've never noticed any slowness using 2day. I just tested my speeds switching between 2day, zlauncher, and the built-in phone app. It takes me about a half a second switching in and out of each app. No delays at all.

2day rocks as is. I'll look forward to the hi-res version.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by lemongrass
    Does 2day show birthdays and anniversaries as well as appointments...?
    Hi,

If you mean birthdays from contact's databases - not yet...
    I will add this soon.

Thanks.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    While we're on the subject of interfaces...

The one thing that I do not like about 2day is the upper part of the interface. The first 2 lines take too much clutter and would be better off being compressed into one, and flushed all the way to the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by rudychow
    While we're on the subject of interfaces...

The one thing that I do not like about 2day is the upper part of the interface. The first 2 lines take too much clutter and would be better off being compressed into one, and flushed all the way to the top.
    (Hope this will not offend you or anyone, but I HAVE to ask)
    What type of "Loud sounds" do you make at 7:00am ? ;-)

Seriously - that's a great idea, but there is more info to be displayed...
    I will think of a way to make this configurable for the next version.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEphONE
    (Hope this will not offend you or anyone, but I HAVE to ask)
    What type of "Loud sounds" do you make at 7:00am ? ;-)
    Heh... just wanted to clarify that the screenshot was modified from Jeff's original. So Jeff, what are the "Loud Sounds"......?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast