View Poll Results: is your 650 unstable? freezes, resets, crashes etc?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

43 50.00%
  • no

43 50.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

Can anyone tell me why this thing is so friggin unstable?? VersaMail sucks, it freezes every third day.

I have ruined two skin cases because i have to reset all the time.

It is sooo agravating...
    Mine reset once for no reason.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Mine reset once for no reason.
    There is more to come!!!
    Hey, you get what you paid for ... TREO 650 IN IS THE EXPECTION CATEGORY.
    This begins to remind me of a quote about the "Sirius Cybernetics Corporation" from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... sure do miss Douglas Adams.....

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    "......it is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of them by the sense of achievement you get from getting them to work at all. In other words... their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws."

Maybe this oughta be PalmOne's new slogan...
    Some people have reset problems some don't. I used to get some spontaneous resets now and then. I could never get the MSN part of Verichat to work (would never log me in). So I deleted Verichat (which turned into a whole ordeal). However once I removed Verichat, I have not had one reset or crash. Not one in over a month.

As much as people don't want to believe it, I firmly believe that it's third party apps or corrupted data causing these problems. They can be eliminated but you need a little patience and effort to do so. Like any computer, the junk you load on it, the more unstable it will be.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    For those of you new to the Treo plateau altogether don't lose heart. Anyone who has owned the Treo 600 can attest to the fact that this is not a Treo issue. The Treo is still on of the most revolutionary devices created. The biggest downfall of the Treo line, was Handsprings agreement to merge with Palm. Every single flaw that the Treo 650 posesses was put there by Palm. As discussed in other threads, if Handspring had taken the 600, given it bluetooth and a higher res screen, you wouldn't be able to stop these things from flying off the shelves. The 600 set the industry standard for all Smartphones today. Palmone screwed that up. I mean only Palmone could blow the game when they were given the ball on the oppositions goaline under the 2 minute warning, up 2 touchdowns. Palmone are idiots! Which is really not saying much for Handspring, who agreed to partner with them.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Some people have reset problems some don't. I used to get some spontaneous resets now and then. I could never get the MSN part of Verichat to work (would never log me in). So I deleted Verichat (which turned into a whole ordeal). However once I removed Verichat, I have not had one reset or crash. Not one in over a month.

As much as people don't want to believe it, I firmly believe that it's third party apps or corrupted data causing these problems. They can be eliminated but you need a little patience and effort to do so. Like any computer, the junk you load on it, the more unstable it will be.

The very premise of the 650 is its operating system. THe fact i could load a bunch of stuff is why i chose it over the blackberry and ppc.

This is what i have;

VersaGarbage
    Butler
    Agendus 9.02
    BTMute
    KB Lights off
    Agendus Mail
    VoiceDial via PalmOne

Thats it.,.. no Launchers, no wierd stuff. This thing is real sensative. I still love the device and if it REALLY WORKED LIKE IT SHOULD , INCLUDING THE VOICE PROBLEM. THIS WOULD BE ONE HELL OF A PRODUCT.

My Blackberry was awesome. i had the old one.. 957 it was as stable as ever. Simple lcd monochrome.. BUT IT WAS DAMN RELIABLE, DAMN RELIABLE.

I cant say the same of the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson
    For those of you new to the Treo plateau altogether don't lose heart. Anyone who has owned the Treo 600 can attest to the fact that this is not a Treo issue. The Treo is still on of the most revolutionary devices created. The biggest downfall of the Treo line, was Handsprings agreement to merge with Palm. Every single flaw that the Treo 650 posesses was put there by Palm. As discussed in other threads, if Handspring had taken the 600, given it bluetooth and a higher res screen, you wouldn't be able to stop these things from flying off the shelves. The 600 set the industry standard for all Smartphones today. Palmone screwed that up. I mean only Palmone could blow the game when they were given the ball on the oppositions goaline under the 2 minute warning, up 2 touchdowns. Palmone are idiots! Which is really not saying much for Handspring, who agreed to partner with them.
    could you elaborate a little bit on this? i understand it was palm who developed the software and handspring that developed the hardware. was this not the case for the treo 650?
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    why the problems?

because palm used an 8 year old OS!. All improvements have been kludgy tack-ons.

If you were forced to run Win95 on your new PC, you would be pissed too.

maybe Cobalt will be better...who knows...
    There have been alot of problems reported due to Agendus. I would do a search on that. I don't use it personally and maybe the problems have been fixed. I have also seen LOTS of stability issues reported about Butler. Again maybe those have been fixed, but reboots due to Butler from the posts I've seen seem to be the norm.

I do use Versamail and since I got rid of Verichat I have not had a single problem with it.

One of the benefits of this kind of device is that you can choose what's important to you. If you want rock stability don't load extra stuff. If you want all the bells and whistles you can do that but stability might suffer. For better or worse the PalmOS is not a bulletproof unix. But neither is any other phone I've ever had or seen. If you love Agendus and Butler great, but those are two of the biggest stability offenders I have seen reported here.

Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    The very premise of the 650 is its operating system. THe fact i could load a bunch of stuff is why i chose it over the blackberry and ppc.

This is what i have;

VersaGarbage
    Butler
    Agendus 9.02
    BTMute
    KB Lights off
    Agendus Mail
    VoiceDial via PalmOne

Thats it.,.. no Launchers, no wierd stuff. This thing is real sensative. I still love the device and if it REALLY WORKED LIKE IT SHOULD , INCLUDING THE VOICE PROBLEM. THIS WOULD BE ONE HELL OF A PRODUCT.

My Blackberry was awesome. i had the old one.. 957 it was as stable as ever. Simple lcd monochrome.. BUT IT WAS DAMN RELIABLE, DAMN RELIABLE.

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    This is what i have;

VersaGarbage
    Butler
    Agendus 9.02
    BTMute
    KB Lights off
    Agendus Mail
    VoiceDial via PalmOne
    My only reset problem (that's it... just one) came when i tried to setup VersaMail. After disabling it I haven't had a single problem in a little more than 2 months.

There's been numerous reports here about trouble with Butler and Agendus as well. Are you using the latest versions of those apps?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    My only reset problem (that's it... just one) came when i tried to setup VersaMail. After disabling it I haven't had a single problem in a little more than 2 months.

There's been numerous reports here about trouble with Butler and Agendus as well. Are you using the latest versions of those apps?

Mark, are you using snappermail instead? I'm considering making the move as I have many problems which I'm suspecting stem from VM. Also, are you using a file manager like zlauncher?

Thanks, Steve
    only had since thurs. not any resets yet. I love this phone. installed chatter and verichat not used or configured versamail. Hav used Verichat and Chatter extensivley, I tend not to empty my email. when I hooked one of my accounts it proceedeed to download 1500 emails that were in my inbox. oppps. So Verichat is not causing problems for me although the graphics were funky once in a while.
    I looked into Snappermail, but haven't taken the plunge yet. No file manager either.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I think a lot of the problems originate with Versamail. If you ever set it up for auto checking of mail and then use some other mail program or delete only parts of Versamail from ROM---look out. I noted that I was getting resets every half hour exactly on the hour, in tune with what my autocheck settings 'used to be'. I was using Agendus Mail with no autochecking! After I completely purged all remenants of VersaMail from the device, I've had absolutely no problems. Even Agendus (with a few setting tweaks) is behaving!

There is no way Butler is getting within beaming distance of my device. That was a nightmare of the highest magnitude....

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle

PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

This is what i have;

VersaGarbage
    Butler
    Agendus 9.02
    BTMute
    KB Lights off
    Agendus Mail
    VoiceDial via PalmOne

This is just my opinion, but I have a different view from this author. I've used PDA's from the Casio BOSS/Sharp Zaurus era and before, thru the Apple Newton, multiple palm products, Sony Clie, Samsung I500, before getting my Treo 650. I think it is a very well thought out product, with exceptional functionality. I would keep in mind that the more complicated something becomes and the more you ask it to do, the more room there is for error. The most reliable PDA I ever had was the Casio Boss; it never failed and never lost data, but also had comparitively little functionality or expandability.

You seem pretty frustrated with your new toy, and I've been there too. If I can offer a suggestion - start with the basic programs that came with the Treo (not the data viz products, just the hardwired applications.) Get used to them and get your unit syncing well etc., then add your 3rd party software, one item at a time. Get a good backup program (i'm using backupman), and use it frequently while you're experimenting. Once a new app seems to be working well, move on to another. I actually think that the Treo is a pretty amazing machine, my guess is that your problems lie in the
    shortcomings of 3rd party developers.

Personally, Agendus has caused many crashes on my treo, same with voice dialer. you might want to try to eliminate those first.

Good luck and hang in there!
    Last edited by dyuyeno; 02/05/2005 at 06:51 PM. Reason: forgot to add the first part
    My Sprint 650 did a hard reset last night during a sync. It then loaded my backup files so I had to re-register the few programs I had added. ##377 informed me Contacts had caused the reset.

I took it in to the Sprint store and they are replacing it.

Never had any problems with my 600. Maybe I'll get a replacement without the audio issues
    Bcaslis,

I have used Agendus extensively on my 650...it is actually more stable than many other apps.

I track all the resets, and have never had one due to Agendus, and I use it more than any other app.

This talk about Agendus being "offending" on the 650 us just poppycock.

Iambic (makers of Agendus) are very responsive to any issues. 9.02 works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Bcaslis,

I have used Agendus extensively on my 650...it is actually more stable than many other apps.

I track all the resets, and have never had one due to Agendus, and I use it more than any other app.

This talk about Agendus being "offending" on the 650 us just poppycock.

Iambic (makers of Agendus) are very responsive to any issues. 9.02 works great.
    I have been using Versamail, and verichat and haven't had a problem... The only problems I have had is when i installed butler... Agendus 9.02.... or Zlauncher.... Each of those will make my treo reset whenever someone calls or I try to make a call.. They also reset when doing certain operations inside the programs.. Since last weekend when I stopped using those programs.. My treo has not reset once... Excellent product if you get the right software..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast