1.    #1  
    I love my 650, but you would think for a 600 dollar phone that plays mp3's that you'd be able to use mp3s as ringtones easily. midi makes me
    really...this isn't possible?
  3.    #3  
    not easily, and from what I've gathered you must get a program to convert the mp3 to a file that has poor quality for music. It should be able to do this out of the box for 600 bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by gooDs
    It should be able to do this out of the box for 600 bucks.
    I agree. The Kyocera 7135 did this, I can't see why palmOne didn't with the T650. No voice recorder was another disappointment.
    Palm and PocketPC Development with CASL (make your own Treo apps, easily)
    CASL is here
    LibertyControl is here
    or visit WAGWARE Systems, Inc. here
    not easily, and from what I've gathered you must get a program to convert the mp3 to a file that has poor quality for music. It should be able to do this out of the box for 600 bucks.

You don't need to covert it. You can also just use one of the many 3rd party mp3 ringer apps like lightwav, mp3ringer, Butler etc that will also do this. Please do a search for more info...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    i assume, from your answer, this must be your first treo phone
  7.    #7  
    yes, I am a palm world "newb". As I stated above I do love my 650 and wouldn't give it up, but it should be able to do this out of the box for the money IMO.

thanks gfunkmagic. all I want is slayers south of heaven hook as my ringtone and my 650 will be complete.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Don't you think that for $600 it might be worth it to RTFM?
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  9.    #9  
    RTFM? Would that be read the f'in manual? haha I think I have a lot of learning to do. Monster Island has made me very impatient.
    Glad to hear it can be done, that worried me for a sec...if I can't have Alice in Chains - Sunshine as my ringer that'd suck
    Also if you don't need the whole song, but only a portion, you can convert that portion into a wave file, send it to the Treo via bluetooth, and it will be added to the ringtones database.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I love my 650, but you would think for a 600 dollar phone that plays mp3's that you'd be able to use mp3s as ringtones easily. midi makes me
    You need Ringo... works great!

http://www.electricpocket.com/products/ringo.html
    Try TreoGuard - does this and a LOT more...
    What do you exect from P1:

- 15 year old serial port interface
    - 3 year old (and interference prone) Bluetooth (crippled)

It doesn't surprise me at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    What do you exect from P1:

- 15 year old serial port interface
    - 3 year old (and interference prone) Bluetooth (crippled)

It doesn't surprise me at all...
    FYI the multiconnector on the 650/T5 is brand new. PalmOne upgraded the treo connector after 3 generations. Also there is a reason to use serial port on mobie devices like Treo b/c alot of 3rd party accessories like future enfora sleds, possoble vga output cables, gps peripherals, bar code scanners, credit cards scanners, and various scientific peripheral devices ONLY support serial port communications and interface. Furthermore technologies like usb-to-go have not yet fully penetrated the industry. Until that happens, it makes sense to support serial.

BT 1.1 I agree is diappointing mainly for the reason for adaptive frequency hopping featgure to reduce interference with wifi and HID, A2DP profiles and etc. However since the 650 does not have wifi support (yet), and drivers for things like BT keyboard are available despite lack of HID support, and since most BT periperal only support 1.1... I can understand PalmOne's reasoning here. I don't agree with it but I can understand it. Hopefully though they will consider upgrading the BT spec in a future update...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    gfunk,

Respectfully, I must disagree.

The connector may be physically "new", but it provides zero benefit, except to P1 as an extra revenue source.

The underlying communication is serial, for both wired and Bluetooth. Pathetic.

USB has not penetrated the market yet? GMAFB.

Compatibility for other devices?
    Again, GMAFB.

I'd rather be able to transfer data faster than a 56k modem that worry about plugging in a barcode scanner.

And for BT 1.1, the reason to leave it in because the Treo doesn't have wi-fi is just stupid thinking. Treos are used in wi-fi environments all the time, hence the need for 1.2.

I don't expect Palm to be perfect, (well, maybe for $600 or $700 I do), but let's not get apologistic about them. Remember, this is a company that has not had a significant OS change in over 7 years...