Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    While waiting to become a Treo owners, I have provided by three cents on the current situation.

Have you ever viewed a TV commercial about a new product, say “Popcorn chicken” at KFC and found that the stores in your neighbor do not carry them yet? I mean you didn’t just see one commercial; you saw many commercials for many days and finally decided to go get some. When you discover that they don’t have any, the most common reaction is anger and\or disappointment. You are upset because you were sold on this new product only to find that the seller can’t deliver. The second reaction is to leave without purchasing anything. pa1mOne and Cingular have been upsetting customers in a similar way this week.

http://www.palmloyal.com/new/content/view/225/2/
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Monday morning quartering is always easier
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Monday morning quartering is always easier
    If that was only true. Boy am I in the game. You are right about Monday, because that is about when the game started. The game has been on a rain delay with a full crowd of fans watch. Me and my team has been here, just waiting for pa1mOne and refs to get here. It not exactly the role I wanted to play in but I forked over my credit card number so I'll have to see if I can win the game too (and get my inlocked phone at the $599 it stated at the ordering time.

Pa1mOne would have done better to have just release a few hundred on ebay and let us bid on them.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    That's an interesting article, but it would be much more credible if the spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors (there are MANY!) were corrected. Jeesh...

Todd/Indy
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    That's an interesting article, but it would be much more credible if the spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors (there are MANY!) were corrected. Jeesh...

Todd/Indy
    Todd,

If you can explain what the issues are, I'd be happy to correct it. Those site articles are always a work in progress and tweaks are normal.

Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Carl, I'm a blogger myself but I always use Word to catch errors, and re-read/write a piece at least once. If you just go through and reread it, you'll see all the typos. That stuff can really detract from an argument. Of course, I'm wondering are you a native English speaker? This would explain maybe not seeing some of the typos. Your writing sounds like you are a native speaker, but if you can't see the typos, I just wonder...
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Since when did Treolanders become such sticklers about garammar and spelling?

Btw, I'm the worst typist on the face of this planet, and if anyone has problems with that they can kiss my Treo
    I can't help it... I tested-out of all my technical writing classes in college/grad school and spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors stand out to me and just cloud the message. Godschoice, since you don't seem to be taking anything personally (I didn't mean to criticize you publicly) I'll offer that the suggestion (by dvdmon) to use Word is a good one. I don't know how I'd help you specifically, other than to the tedious "third paragraph, second line, replace "abc" with "xyz" approach, or to copy, paste, and edit the article (using a contrasting color) and return it to you. Both are a bit of a time crunch for me right now. Give Word a shot and let us know if it worked out OK. If not, I'll try my best to help you out.

Todd/Indy
    Frankly your "comparison" doesn't hold much water. 99c chicken nuggets vs a $600 phone, but even accepting that .......

To answer your question with a similar comparison:

Have you seen ads for a Toyota Prius? How long a wait to get one? How much do you have to bribe a dealer to even put your name on a wait list. How much over "list" do you haveto pay to get one?

How about when they first released and heavily advertised the Chrysler PT Cruiser ??? Took a year before they were readily available without paying 50% more then list.

How about when the IPOD was first released?

There are dozens of similar consumer electronic devices that were advertised and difficult to get for months after release and YES they were also promoted well before release.

There are many items promoted up the wazoo to generate interest and not available in large quantities for months on end. It's just a frustrating and agonizing part of doing business.

Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    Have you ever viewed a TV commercial about a new product, say “Popcorn chicken” at KFC and found that the stores in your neighbor do not carry them yet? I mean you didn’t just see one commercial; you saw many commercials for many days and finally decided to go get some. When you discover that they don’t have any, the most common reaction is anger and\or disappointment. You are upset because you were sold on this new product only to find that the seller can’t deliver.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH

Btw, I'm the worst typist on the face of this planet, and if anyone has problems with that they can kiss my Treo
    Well, it's one thing to have typos in fairly informal place as the forums here, but when you actually have your sight that you've done a decent amount of work on, it's a little harder to understand why you wouldn't take the time to make sure there aren't some really glaring typos.

I'm not saying I'm completely innocent myself. When you work on a long piece and there's a lot of feeling going into it, the tendency is to just pour out your feelings and then post because you want to express yourself. It really takes some effort and willpower to kind of stop at the end and slog through what ends up being more tedius and less of a release than what you just wrote.

Some people don't mind these kinds of errors, but many do, and personally the ones in this came up enough that it was a bit distracting, especially when it starts to prevent me from understanding certain points the author is trying to convey...

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    Well, it's one thing to have typos in fairly informal place as the forums here, but when you actually have your sight that you've done a decent amount of work on, it's a little harder to understand why you wouldn't take the time to make sure there aren't some really glaring typos.
    Site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adora
    Site.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Adora
    Site.
    Heheh, touche. As I said, I'm by no means faultless here, but as I said, I don't generally put the same energy into checking and rechecking on relatively short messages on forums like these as I do on longer pieces on my blog...

14.    #14  
    I don't take anything personal, I welcome the feedback. I have a full time job, four kids and a wife and still have time to co-run a Detroit Palm User Group (We meet tonight), run the Palmloyal.com site and participate in multiple palm related email lists and online forums. I enjoy it! So in between reading a bedtime story or the other million things I do in a day, I still find time to shoot a story to the site. The end result remains, as it has since 1999, to provide Palm OS users with useful information in a consistent manner.

At times I will misspell words or have some grammar issues - this is due to pouring my thoughts out at once and not having an editor to check it before publishing it. Every writer will do this no matter how good he or she is, because we know what we are trying to say and we fill in the blanks unknowingly. That is why it is good to put a fresh pair of eyes on it. Because I don't have an editor available, I thank you all for your eyes and comments. Someone once said "Opinions are like butts, everyone has one". I welcome them all. I just want my Unlocked Treo 650 to be like a **** so I can have it too

Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    I thought this was Treocentral.com not Grammer101.com???
    While waiting to become a Treo owners, I have provided by three cents on the current situation.

Have you ever viewed a TV commercial about a new product, say “Popcorn chicken” at KFC and found that the stores in your neighbor do not carry them yet? I mean you didn’t just see one commercial; you saw many commercials for many days and finally decided to go get some. When you discover that they don’t have any, the most common reaction is anger and\or disappointment. You are upset because you were sold on this new product only to find that the seller can’t deliver. The second reaction is to leave without purchasing anything. pa1mOne and Cingular have been upsetting customers in a similar way this week.

http://www.palmloyal.com/new/content/view/225/2/
    I cannot read articles that have more spelling and grammar mistakes than my 7 year old's writing.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Just to get back on point - I agree with a lot of MisterEd's counter points that the 650 is better compared to products like the iPod/iPod mini and some new release cars.

I also wanted to ask, where have P1 been advertising the 650. We're all uber geeks waiting for this thing because we've known about it since before it was even officially announced by P1. My friends wouldn't even know it exists if it weren't for me, they'd never have a heard about. I think right now P1 is doing their best to get these things out the door. Maybe their best sucks a little, but on the other hand I think we sometimes lose perspective and forget that we're not normal, we're geeks!

ps - I'm deliberately NOT rereading this post before submitting!
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    I don't take anything personal, I welcome the feedback. I have a full time job, four kids and a wife and still have time to co-run a Detroit Palm User Group (We meet tonight), run the Palmloyal.com site and participate in multiple palm related email lists and online forums. I enjoy it! So in between reading a bedtime story or the other million things I do in a day, I still find time to shoot a story to the site. The end result remains, as it has since 1999, to provide Palm OS users with useful information in a consistent manner.

At times I will misspell words or have some grammar issues - this is due to pouring my thoughts out at once and not having an editor to check it before publishing it. Every writer will do this no matter how good he or she is, because we know what we are trying to say and we fill in the blanks unknowingly. That is why it is good to put a fresh pair of eyes on it. Because I don't have an editor available, I thank you all for your eyes and comments. Someone once said "Opinions are like butts, everyone has one". I welcome them all. I just want my Unlocked Treo 650 to be like a **** so I can have it too
    uhhh... use a spell checker and grammar checker.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH

Let me guess, TonyH. You're head of the English department at Harvard?
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Have you seen ads for a Toyota Prius? How long a wait to get one? How much do you have to bribe a dealer to even put your name on a wait list. How much over "list" do you haveto pay to get one?

How about when they first released and heavily advertised the Chrysler PT Cruiser ??? Took a year before they were readily available without paying 50% more then list.

How about when the IPOD was first released?

There are dozens of similar consumer electronic devices that were advertised and difficult to get for months after release and YES they were also promoted well before release.

There are many items promoted up the wazoo to generate interest and not available in large quantities for months on end. It's just a frustrating and agonizing part of doing business.
    If you have kids, do you ever accept "everyone does it, so it's OK" as a valid justification for anything?

I do understand that, in a market economy (and thank God we have one), the best product will fail if it's not promoted effectively to likely buyers. That said, I think that the choice to overhype and underdeliver rather than vice-versa speaks volumes about a company's respect--or lack thereof--for its customers, and about how deserving they are or are not of our loyalty.
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast