Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I installed my Parrot CK-3300 advanced carkit + bluetooth GPS kit last night, into my 2004 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat. The kit is an advanced, wired in kit, that integrates with your audio system. When in a call, it will mute the radio and the audio will be heard over the vehicle speakers. To install it you have to remove your factory radio and tap into +12v, +12V key switched, Ground, and 8 speaker wires coming out of your radio + 8 speaker wires going to your main 4 speakers (it puts a relay pack in between to insert voice commands, cell audio, and to effectively mute the radio. Because of all the wiring necessary, I ordered the factory regular and "reverse" radio harnesses, so I could make a "splice" harness, therefore not cutting into any of my factory wires. You can get regualr and reverse harnesses at most best buycircuit city car installation centers, but mine was hard to get, so I ordered it through riveroaks car stereo www.installer.com
    They carry anything for any type of mobile electronics install.

Here is a pic of the unopened box plus the regular and reverse harnesses

(more to come)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
  2.    #2  
    There is lots 'o stuff in the kit. Here is a pic of all the parts laying on the bench. Notice the wiring harnesses and the gps antenna:
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
  3.    #3  
    I started by installing the GPS antenna up on the roof. I snaked the wiring through my 3rd brake light. I sits next to my XM skyfi2 satellite radio antenna. I then hid and ran the wires up to the dash cavity.
    car_designer
  4.    #4  
    I then installed the microphone mount on top of the rear view mirror and ran the wires down to the dash cavity. I wired up the harnesses, plugged everything together and it worked!
    I was able to pair the phone and use the carkit. THe only bummer is that I cant seem to initiate the call from the parrot
    unit, I have to initiate a call from the TREO and then the carkit automagically picks it up. Incoming calls are also picked up by the carkit. THe sound quality is very good in my opinion. There is an option to "connect" a paired phone, which means a constant link between the phone and the carkit. You have access to all your phonebook entries and your call log plus any voice commands in your phone (in addition the kit has its own voice command dialing you can set up). When I try to "connect" the TREO it unually says unable to connect. On the rare chance that I get it connected, It will display carrier name, signal strength and then it attempts to syncronize all my address book entries and call log entries. It managed to sync my call log last night.

I will play with it more today and let everyone know what I find. It is 100 percent usable as a handsfree carkit right now (no need to be "connected") You only need to be "connected" to initiate a call from the parrot control unit.
    I am hoping a future update will unleash all the potential, but it is very usable right now.

I havent tried the GPS out yet.

Here are some more pictures. THe blurry one is when I am "connected" before it auto "disconneds" notice it says sprint in the display.
    car_designer
  5.    #5  
    Update!

I upgraded the firmware on the ck-3300 over bluetooth (gotta love the range on the linksys bluetooth adapter w/antenna)
    played with it for a few minutes and it appears to be working alot better. I can now initiate calls from the parrot unit. I did have one or two resets in the initial pairing, but now it seems okay...(cross my fingers)

I also transferred my entire contact list to the phonebook. In the TREO i went to contacts, menu transfer entire contact list to bluetooth. I went through the wizard and a minute or two later i have my entire contact list available on the parrot display!!!! how cool is that!

I have forced object exchange checked under advanced settings in the parrot and I am also using allow wakeup on the TREO
    car_designer
    Quote Originally Posted by car_designer
    Update!

I upgraded the firmware on the ck-3300 over bluetooth (gotta love the range on the linksys bluetooth adapter w/antenna)
    played with it for a few minutes and it appears to be working alot better. I can now initiate calls from the parrot unit. I did have one or two resets in the initial pairing, but now it seems okay...(cross my fingers)

I also transferred my entire contact list to the phonebook. In the TREO i went to contacts, menu transfer entire contact list to bluetooth. I went through the wizard and a minute or two later i have my entire contact list available on the parrot display!!!! how cool is that!

I have forced object exchange checked under advanced settings in the parrot and I am also using allow wakeup on the TREO
    This is exactly what I want for my car. How much did you pay for it?
    Thanks for the update. I'm planning on the ck3100 into my F150, so the writeup couldn't have been more relevant to me...

Post back after a few days and let us know any adverse issues. I think you said you weren't running Chatter - would be nice to know if these two cooperate.
  8.    #8  
    This is exactly what I want for my car. How much did you pay for it?
    I got it here
    for $340 but my kit has a bluetooth GPS as well. If you dont need a GPS then get the ck-3100.
    You can get that for $215 here

If I had a GSM treo, I would definately get the ck-3500 to play with. You can take your sim card out, insert it in the sim card slot in the ck-3500 and IT IS THE PHONE!!! It has a external cell antenna and it is programmable for telematics.
    Here is the listing for the ck-3500 here

I think you said you weren't running Chatter
    I am not running chatter.

I have not had any resets since i paired it yesterday. THings are working out very well. Put about an hour of talktime on it today. I started to program the voice commands. This thing is sweet!!!!

I can now initiate calls from the parrot unit phonebook/contact list most of the time. I am a happy camper.
    car_designer
    Wow! Very nice setup! Thanks for sharing!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    did this come with gps software? if not, what are you using. thanks
  11.    #11  
    did this come with gps software? if not, what are you using.
    It does not come with any GPS software. It is a hardware bluetooth GPSr with the antenna placed on the roof with a clear sight of the sky.

I plan on using TomTom for the Treo and I will use Iguidance
    and Microsoft Streets and Trips on the laptop. Check out GPSpassion.com where people are really passionate about GPS!
    Last edited by car_designer; 02/06/2005 at 06:05 PM.
    car_designer
    thanks for the pics!
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Thanks for the descriptions. Helpful for those of us considering a similar setup.

Did you come across any information on using existing GPS/mic/etc. in a vehicle fitted with OnStar?

I can now initiate calls from the parrot unit phonebook/contact list most of the time. I am a happy camper.
    Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? How often can you not initiate calls from the parrot unit? Has the problem persisted? etc.?
  14.    #14  
    Did you come across any information on using existing GPS/mic/etc. in a vehicle fitted with OnStar?
    I have seen webpages where poeple have reverse engineered and have been able to use the GPS in onstar, but I dont think via bluetooth.

Would you mind elaborating on this a bit? How often can you not initiate calls from the parrot unit? Has the problem persisted? etc.?
    It has been working well over the last couple days. I have had no problems making calls from the parrot unit, but I make sure the unit "sees" my phone and establishes a link whenever I get into the truck now. There is a menu choice in the parrot to connect to my treo, so I make sure I connect when I get into the truck. Before, when I had problems calling from the parrot unit, I dont think the "link" was established between the phone and the carkit. Im not talking about initial pairing, Im talking about shutting off the car then when you get back in you have to "refresh" the BT connection. I was reading the instructions to the Cardo scala 500 and it recommends doing the same type of thing. No matter what you can always dial from the phone and the carkit picks it up (100% of the time). Also incoming calls are picked up 100% of the time so far as well.

I have had one or two dropped/hangup calls, but I not sure if there really was a problem or if the phone screen got hit, because i just had it laying in my center console. I just installed my pro-clip mount so I should be able to test it better this week. I have already had a bunch of 30 minute and one or two 45 minute calls with no problems.

The voice/sound quality is top notch. Everybody was super suprised when I told them I was talking on a speakerphone/handsfree kit. I think it sounds better than using the handset. I is very easy to get used to and dependent on.

THe only thing that is not working according to plan is "syncronization" This kit is so advanced, that it attempts to sync all of your contacts, call log, etc. with every call!!!! It doesnt seem to work. When you try to "connect" to the phone within the parrot menu, it will connect and say connection for about 10 seconds and the then it will disconnect. I dont think it really matters though, as it picks up all the calls perfectly and you can still dial from the parrot unit as well even when it says disconnected on the screen just like it the closeup pic I posted above.

I will have TomTom up and running within the week and I can post back with my experiences using the ck-3300 gps with TomTom. It is supposed to give the navigation voice directions through the car speakers as well! We will see.

Thanks for the descriptions. Helpful for those of us considering a similar setup.
    No problem!

If you want to check out the Parrot ck-3x00 owners/installation manual, download the following help file, and then double click on it to get lots of info:

click here to download the file from parrot

Also sending my contacts could have been easier. You know how in our treo's, we have the option of sending files and pretty much everything to "bluetooth" in the menu? Well, in the contacts you go to menu and send entire contact list to "bluetooth" then pick parrot off the list of trusted devices and in a minute or two you have all your contact in the parrot unit. The even have all the numbers catagorized correctly in mobile,home,other ..etc.
    car_designer
    Terrific! Great info. Thanks again.
  16.    #16  
    I just wanted to say that under the menu option in the bluetooth manager, I have device name cache disabled and it seems to work great upon initial "refreshing" of the BT link. I had it enabled yesterday and I had problems estabilishing a link this morinig, until I disabled it.

very satisfied overall. just as good as a hardwired handsfree kit, but with access to your contacts on the dash!
    car_designer
    Odd question: does it still work if you have stereo headphones and/or a charging cable still attached? I'm trying to find out if I can use a 650 for mp3 playback while "connected" to a Parrot 3100 (though obviously not during an active call). Thanks for any input.
  18.    #18  
    Odd question: does it still work if you have stereo headphones and/or a charging cable still attached?
    It works well with the charging cable attached, but I havent yet tried playing music on my treo. I would assume that if you can answer phonecalls normally while playing music, you shouldnt have any problems with this as well. You will not be able to "play" music through the bluetooth carkit, if thats what you are asking...
    car_designer
    Nice F-150 Lariat, I have the same one in red. Want to install mine?
    It works well with the charging cable attached, but I havent yet tried playing music on my treo. I would assume that if you can answer phonecalls normally while playing music, you shouldnt have any problems with this as well.
    Thanks, I think that answers it. My 650 is on the way, I'll test it when it gets here.

You will not be able to "play" music through the bluetooth carkit, if thats what you are asking...
    No, I'm trying to set up a separate cradle for charging and mp3 playback (hands-free functions) hard-wired to the stereo, not over bluetooth. This would be in addition to BT HF kit.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast