1.    #1  
    What does it mean to have an unlocked 650? Does it mean I can use it with any provider?

Thanks,

Yes, it means you are not locked to any single GSm provider and can use the 650 (provided you have a sim card) with any GSM carrier in the world...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I purchased the unlocked 650 because I'm on the ATTWS Charter plan. If I buy the ATTWS 650, I would have to buy another phone if I ever decide to switch carriers. With the unlocked 650, I can go to Cingular or T-mobile, and all I would need to do is switch the sim card. I also believe the unlocked 650 had the DUN enabled. If so, I will not have to hack it with some software that may make it unstable. I have not given any thoughts about switching to Sprint or Verizon, but both of those do not require sims.
  4.    #4  
    Ok, so, if I buy an unlocked 650 I'll be able to hook it up to Verizon even though they don't carry the phone yet?
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by exander
    Ok, so, if I buy an unlocked 650 I'll be able to hook it up to Verizon even though they don't carry the phone yet?
    Verizon is not a GSM provider.
    CDMA and GSM is two DIFFERENT system.
    the answer is no

NO!! Like I stated above, you can use an unlocked GSM Treo with any "GSM Provider" in the world. Verizon, Sprint and Nextel fyi are NOT GSM providers. The first two are CDMA and Nextel is iDen.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  8.    #8  
    Crap.

Cingular is looking better and better.
    Crap.

Cingular is looking better and better.

transfer your current sprint # to cingular
    you wouldn't miss a beat! http://www.howardforums.com/images/smilies/beer2.gif
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    transfer your current sprint # to cingular
    you wouldn't miss a beat! http://www.howardforums.com/images/smilies/beer2.gif
    I currently have Verizon and really like their coverage. I tried Sprint and it was really bad for me. I haven't tried Cingular yet. I think I'll test drive a 650 from Cingular when the stores get them.

Does Cingular have them online or is there a 2 week wait?
    I currently have Verizon and really like their coverage. I tried Sprint and it was really bad for me. I haven't tried Cingular yet. I think I'll test drive a 650 from Cingular when the stores get them.

Does Cingular have them online or is there a 2 week wait?
    you can get them @ palmone.com, seems that they're shipping now
    or alternatively, go to your nearest cingular store, they should have it...*according to TC'ers user*
  12.    #12  
    Whoa! Cingular unlimited data plan is $80!!!
    Whoa! Cingular unlimited data plan is $80!!!
    some reports says you could get mediaworks @ 19.99, unlimited, not 3mb as what cingular site says
  14.    #14  
    My closest Cingular store (Ross Park Mall - Pittsburgh) said they won't have them for a couple weeks. . .
    OK- if you have an unkocked phone, and you are traveling to western Europe, where/how do you get anothe sime to use so that you don't pay $1+/min? Do you buy a sim card when you get to a foreign destination? Never done this before obviously.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 650now
    OK- if you have an unkocked phone, and you are traveling to western Europe, where/how do you get anothe sime to use so that you don't pay $1+/min? Do you buy a sim card when you get to a foreign destination? Never done this before obviously.
    That's what you do. You buy a pre-paid SIM from a local provider, or (depending on the country), there are occasionally vending machines where you can buy a pre-paid SIM. Put $20, $50 or whatever on the SIM, and you'll be wandering the country with a local phone # and local calling rates.