Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    I've been using Treos since there was such a thing. Started with 180, Voicestream, years with T-Mobile, everything great. My 270 died Monday and I had to buy a 650.

Nobody but Sprint had it, so I paid $419 and took it. Naturally I have a few questions for Sprint customer service -- like, er, why was I able to send messages with pictures for a day or two, yet now the 650 refuses to connect to the Vision network? -- but it turns out that Sprint doesn't actually have customer service. I've spent five hours this week on phone with them, virtually all of it on hold, and not gotten ONE single answer. Nor have I talked to one person who seems to have ever held this phone or read its manual, much less been trained on how to support it. Most of them sound like they just got out of high school somewhere in the hills.

Is Sprint actually this bad? How do you guys figure out 650 issues? Would I have the same experience with Cingular, now that their phone has appeared (day after I bought mine)? Their reputation is lousy. I'm going nuts here. Most importantly, who can I locate to punch at Palm for shipping all c.s. on this very complicated device out to a bunch of untrained monkeys? I can't imagine how they'll stay in business if my experience is typical.
    I've been with SPRINT almost as long as you've been using TREOs. I can confirm that they have just about the worst customer support in the world. I stay with them because the plans I've had are cheap. I almost switched a half dozen times but every time it got to that points, somebody finally came through. They have a lot of uneducated people working in support, but there are also a lot of very nice human beings. Some have gone the extra mile for me, although I had to push at first to get there.

This time around, I almost wish I had switched to a GSM carrier, but that would have meant replacing all the phones for the 5 people on my plan.

If your question is something only Sprint can answer, then you may have to slog through it. But share your results here and keep looking. That's the great thing about this forum as a users' group. Good for Sprint too, if they recognize it (I know they do.)

Ask your questions here and see what happens.
    Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by ohbw
    Is Sprint actually this bad?
    Yes, and to hear it around here, most others aren't much better. Sprintpcsinfo.com has a list of helpful Sprint phone numbers, including ones that at least bypass the stupid voice prompt menu and put you right in queue to talk to an actual person, although it can't guarantee the competence of that person.
    How do you guys figure out 650 issues?
    Uhhmm, here, mostly.
    I can't imagine how they'll stay in business if my experience is typical.
    Your idealism is beautiful, but, uhh, I just don't know what to say...
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    sprint customer service is HORRIBLE at best!! I been with them for 3 years now & I loathe the customer service, MANY billing errors, overages, hidden charges. My phone was disconnected FOUR times in last TWO weeks do to a Sprint system error but NO ONE there can tell me why it's happening nor does it stop shutting off.But they always get the Treos first & they have the best voice & data plans...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal

Sprintpcsinfo.com has a list of helpful Sprint phone numbers, including ones that at least bypass the stupid voice prompt menu and put you right in queue to talk to an actual person, although it can't guarantee the competence of that person.

would be nice to have that "helpful" list - but when I click on the link, i don't get a page

you wouldn't be able to transcribe those numbers, would you?
    I've been with T-Mo for a little more than 2 years and was thinking of switching to Cingular...well, after dealing with their CS I'm glad I never did. They are the lousiest of all. Some examples:
    1. Average wait times of 15 mins
    2. Ordered T650 - called back the next day and provided my order number and the CS rep accidentally transfers me back into the queue (after being on hold for 16mins). Then, the next CSR couldn't find my order for ONE HOUR.
    3. Over the 6 - 8 times I called CS, only on CSR sounded normal. The rest sounded like they didn't graduate from highschool. Oh, and the comments that others have made how Cingualr CSRs seem to just 'make up' stories/answers is true.
    4. Lastly, (to continue #2 above), I got a voicemail from a CSR in reference to my order number and she stated any CSR could help me so just call the 800 number. I call back and after spending 30mins on the phone, they couldn't find my order. So, I just called Amex and told them not to authorize the charge from Cingular.

This experience was enough for me...I'm not going to Cingular anytime soon.
    There are two things to bear in mind.
    1. You aren't talking to a "Sprint" employee 98% of the time, you're talking to an outsourced, minimum wage slave. What can you expect? As someone who deals with wireless carriers on behalf of my customers all day, let me tell...they ALL suck to a certain degree. Verizon consistently gets ranked the best and I could tell you some nightmare stories about them too. With Sprint you just have to learn to work the system. Once you do life is a lot easier.
    2. That said, try to get on a business account. In other words, call in, ask for the business department (you'll have to connect to one of the regular morons to do this) and then tell them the name of the company you work for to see if you qualify for a discount. For example AOL employees get 23% off their bill. You'd be surprised how many companies do, but no one ever tells you. Now technically you're supposed to get your "root node number" from your company to do this, but if you get a "nice" csr at business they'll sometimes look it up for you. If not, PM me and I'll look it up for you (this might take a few days). The reason you want to do this (besides a discount on your bill) is that it automatically makes you a "business" customer, therefore ensuring you are always put through to business after you hold for one of the monkeys. Business CSR's are ACTUAL Sprint employees who CARE (most of the time, nothing's perfect) about the company and its customers. I breathe a sigh of relief everytime I'm on the phone for a customer with a problem and the monkey says "I'm sorry sir. This is a business account. I'll have to transfer you to them." I'd RATHER deal with them anyway! Hope this helps.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I'll chime in here just to say the TMo customer service is actually quite good, as is their tech support. It's quite easy to escalate, when necessary, to techies that really know what they're doing - even with advanced devices like Treos and Blackberries...

TM
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonymoody
    I'll chime in here just to say the TMo customer service is actually quite good, as is their tech support. It's quite easy to escalate, when necessary, to techies that really know what they're doing - even with advanced devices like Treos and Blackberries...

TM
    Completely agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by megaphone
    would be nice to have that "helpful" list - but when I click on the link, i don't get a page

you wouldn't be able to transcribe those numbers, would you?
    The link seems to work OK for me...browser setting issue maybe? Anyway, the list is below, all credit to SprintPCSInfo...

Sprint PCS Phone Numbers
    Because we hate Claire as much as you do

Activations
    1-888-715-4588

Business Department
    877-812-1223

Customer Service with Claire & Hold Time
    1-888-211-4727
    1-888-788-4727 (Business Customers Only)
    1-877-909-4806

Customer Service without Claire - Bumped to front of line (also known as the Red Phones)
    1-800-658-7564
    1-866-306-7056

Collections

Executive Services - For when things get really messed up
    913-624-3000 Currently an automated switchboard for the company directory, number may be outdated

Fraud Department
    1-888-788-0788

Internal Marketing Opt-Out - Tell Sprint you don't want your contact info to be shared with other Sprint divisions for marketing purposes
    1-800-865-7786

International Roaming
    1-888-226-7212
    1-877-785-8414 - Add International Roaming to your account

Retention - Negotiate a better plan/price to stay with Sprint PCS

Rebate Line - Get the status of your Sprint rebate
    1-800-477-4127

TeleSales - Phones & Accessories and Customer Service for Phone & Online orders
    1-888-253-1315
    1-866-PCS-AUTO (1-866-727-2886) (Telematics TeleSales)
    1-888-233-3538

Vision/3G Wireless Web Support Department
    1-866-588-9907

Handset Numbers (for use on a Sprint phone)

Customer Service - *2
    Bill Payment (Speedpay) - *3
    Airtime Usage - *4
    Accessory Purchasing - #222
    Referral Credit System - #733 (#REF)
    Charles Schwab Direct - #724
    Western Union - #986
    Quote Originally Posted by koolio
    Completely agree.
    i've only had one ***** on the phone from t-mo ever. the other times the service couldn't have been better.

no EDGE, no treo 650, but for right now I'm sticking with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Business CSR's are ACTUAL Sprint employees who CARE (most of the time, nothing's perfect) about the company and its customers. I breathe a sigh of relief everytime I'm on the phone for a customer with a problem and the monkey says "I'm sorry sir. This is a business account. I'll have to transfer you to them." I'd RATHER deal with them anyway! Hope this helps.
    That "extra step" of waiting for someone who transfers you to wait for someone else is annoying, although maybe this is why I haven't had nearly the headaches others seem to when dealing with CS. Sprint has done a few really stupid things in the year and a half I've been with them, but usually remedy the problem as soon as it's brought to their attention.
    I've been with Sprint PCS since August 1998. It is so bad we dread changing plans because something usually goes wrong.

Yet our needs are met by their plans and coverage areas. So we stay.
    I've had my Treo 600 with T-Mo since 2003 and despite all the hardware issues I've had (I'm now on my 3rd T600 which they've replaced without hassle), all my experiences with their customer service has been good-- all but maybe one rep who was probably still undergoing training. Yesterday I went to Cingular/AT&T and Sprint stores to see about pricing and plan details, and saw how their reps handled their customers. I had to wait almost an hour in line at the Cingular store (with only 2 customers in front of me) just to ask a question, and from what I hear most of the customers in there had issues with the service they were being provided. The 2 Sprint stores I visited had reps who seemed more clueless than the T-Mo reps I've dealt with. I was quickly reminded that although I may only use the customer service line occasionally, those times are critical to me. Because my experience with T-Mo has been good, I'm sticking with them although technically I'm free to go since my contract was up last year. Now if I can only find a T650 GSM to unlock and use on my T-Mo account... (too cheap to shell out the $699).
    Man I feel everyone's pain. I have been with Sprint since 1998 and have had good and bad expericences. But the bottom line is all cellular providers have terrible customer service. But they all have some and I say some reps that actually know what they are talking about. Its like a crap shoot...you just have to pray when you call that you get one of the good ones. Ive delt with them so much for different reasons that I can tell fairly quickly if they know what they are doing or talking about. If they don't I hang up and call back and try again. Its all luck I tell you. Good luck to all.
    It's quite likely that palmone didn't have the option of doing their own tech support. Sprint probably requires palmone to leave it to them so that they (Sprint) can control what their customers are being told. This really sucks. I actually tried to use Sprint tech support for a question about my 650 once and it was a total waste of my time.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    I agree w/ the T-Mobile users here. I started out w/ Sprint & liked their service way back when (I was fortunate & rarely had to call for anything). I eventually left them, because they gave me the run around for a few hours about some charges that shouldn't have been on my bill to begin with. They then told me they should be charging me, because I called when I had chosen online support. Well, when the server that provides your online support doesn't work for at least two weeks, you have to talk to a person, right?? I sent them a letter stating what happened and why I would never do business w/ them again. I switched to AT&T (for the Ericsson T68) and quickly learned that they were only slightly better. So, I cancelled that account w/in the first two weeks and went to VoiceStream (T-Mobile). I have NEVER had a bad experience w/ T-Mobile's support. Someone always answers right away, they know what they're doing, & they are courteous. There are very few companies that I have had solid good customer support histories w/, so they have my loyalty.
    ooooh, look at the shiny Copper Treo 680
    I have to agree as a new sprint customer also that their CS is just awful. there have been several occasions I have called and gotten nowhere. That is bad enough but I have also gotten answers that were just wrong. I have learned to first look here at this forum and another forum at www.sprintusers.com before I even put myself through the stress of calling sprint. Of course there are some things I have to call about but it seems easier when armed with the knowledge from one of the two great forums.
    I learned that ....since the first Palm/phone combo I got for SPrint (Samsung I300), I've been listed as a business customer. When ever I called in to CR, I got transfered directly to the business services dept. Always got the best service. WHenever I complained, I got free minutes, or additional discounts on my account, or services cost waived for 3 to 6 months.

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!