Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    I've been going through this forum and read quite a handful of problems on their Treo 650. WTF, people have returned and exchanged their Treos up to 4 times already? Multiple instances of the "P" button issue, Versamail rebooting the Treo, and then multiple instances of the PDA rebooting for no reason. What kind of crappy quality control is that? Also the non-volatile memory gets eaten up rapidly and then Palm themselves realized that it was a stupid idea so they start handing out free SD cards. I just ordered my GSM Unlocked Treo and am getting freaked out by all of these posts.

Since it's probably not shipping anytime soon, I have plenty of time to rethink my purchase. I was actually thinking about getting the iMate PDA2K but my friend talked me into getting the Treo since he has the Sprint version and loves it. The PDA2K is a brick but it does have WiFi and haven't heard any problems report with it. Another thing freaking me out is that a few people have reported that the earpiece was too quiet and is only audible on the loudest setting.

Anyone NOT have any problems?
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
    I had some initial problems, but we now have two rock solid CDMA 650's in our house. Both have custom ROMs and a ton of third party apps. The ONLY thing I am waiting for is fix for the memory block sizing. I wouldn't trade them for anything on the market today (with the exception of a pair of GSMs).
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    I have the 650 Sprint version since the first week of Dec. the problem I've had was Versamail re-set, but after reading some of the post & deleteing some files, bam! no more Versamail problems. The only thing I get now is a re-set (sometimes) whem i'm on the web and a call or text comes in when i'm surfing, it re-sets. No biggy, very happy here. I made a good decision, this time. Good Luck!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I've had some problems of my own making and experiences some of the issues. But this is bleeding edge stuff. They will try tpo market it to the mass consumer, but in the end, it's a geek's toy. People like us will help it mature.

Look at the issues so far:

memory organization - they send you a 128MB SD card (although everyone here will by the fastest 1G one they can find), there are the customer ROMS, and eventually there will probably be an enhancement. Sure, there should be more memory, but they have to trade something off.

camera - I LOVE the low light resolution. Would I have paid another $50 bucks for more pixels? probably. And another 50 for more memory and another and another

voice quality - a design flaw/bug that is fixable with a patch (I think the mic overdrives the A/D converter)

SW incompatibility - I can't believe how fast developers are fixing this.

Sprint customer support - no comment

I think this is a darling little device. Some people expect a lot more, but because I work the field of computer hardware development and support, I feel some kinship with the developers. I think they dealt with a number of compromises very well.

You know, you can have it faster, better, or cheaper. Pick any two.

JC
    I had a couple of apps that caused it to need resetting but I deleted them and now it works great.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I say this all the time: people don't run to disc boards to say how happy they are with their devices. Try to remember that.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    set my sprint 650 up last night and the software part of it took maybe 10 minutes. activated it with sprint, went to bed and the phone was good to go this morning. took a few attempts to provision, but now here I am posting from it. I won't say problems won't occur - but smooth sailing here so far!
    Last edited by 1SFG; 02/05/2005 at 04:37 PM.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    I say this all the time: people don't run to disc boards to say how happy they are with their devices. Try to remember that.
    Hope you're right...
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaver99
    I've been going through this forum and read quite a handful of problems on their Treo 650. ...<snip>...Anyone NOT have any problems?

This has been pretty much beaten to death. There was even a thread a good while back dividing the whole bunch of us into Palm Lovers and Palm Haters....

Red and Blue thread....

The TREO 650 seems to be a good, but troubled little machine. Looks like at least a pleurality of folks get it to work without any problem, some can't ever get the little sucker to work, and some have to do major massaging with Shadowmite patches and stuff. Personally, I'm gonna bide my time and see if the GSM version is any better than the Sprint version, and if PalmOne gets any patches of their own available. Ain't no rush at this point, with the MDA IV, the Samsung i730, and the HP 6500 all supposed to be coming out sometime soon.

Ya pays your money and takes yore chances.....

By the way, I can't get on that site you mentioned in your signature...
    I'd suggest that some users bring on their own problems by just syncing with whatever they used on their previous Palm. A new Treo is a good time to clean house and reinstall apps one at a time. Clearly, we know that there will be some software incompatibilities. by installing one at a time, one has a better chance of identifying tghe conflicting application. Advice from another user who has upgraded 5 times is to make sure to delete your current Palm desktop and use whatever comes with the 650. Curb that enthusiasm, be patient and configure your new Palm strategically.
    Mark
    Mark Bergman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bergman
    I'd suggest that some users bring on their own problems by just syncing with whatever they used on their previous Palm. A new Treo is a good time to clean house and reinstall apps one at a time. Clearly, we know that there will be some software incompatibilities. by installing one at a time, one has a better chance of identifying tghe conflicting application. Advice from another user who has upgraded 5 times is to make sure to delete your current Palm desktop and use whatever comes with the 650. Curb that enthusiasm, be patient and configure your new Palm strategically.
    Mark
    I have to agree with you. I upgraded from an i500, and had the Treo 650 go into high=speed wobbles when I tried to sync with my old i500 configuration. I created a new profile, then added apps one at a time to make sure that everything worked. I've had a couple of minor issues, maintly with an unknown 3rd party app blocking my Vision access, but the problem resolved as soon as I synced with the new profile. I haven't noticed any of the keyboard problems that others have complained about. In fact, my chief complaint is that PalmOne doesn't include any kind of protective case for the Treo in the box. It's a little unnerving to drop a $600 piece of electronics in my pocket with my loose change. I have an E&B case due to arrive next week, and I'm real glad that I don't have any major traveling scheduled.
    GWB is right (again).

Mark B - there are tons of software problems on "clean" 650's. The biggest culprits are P1 native apps, like Blazer, Versamail, SMS, and the Phone application, NOT 3rd party apps, which tend to work fine if the developer supports the 650.

I am a bit more draconian about it.
    I like the 650, despite the issues, but if something better comes, I will (and have) explored it.

the Treo is a beta device that you pay premium dollars to use.

the pros of the device:
    -Screen
    -Keyboard, assuming no p key of doom
    -Bluetooth (barely, just becuase it is there)
    -Removable battery
    - Camera is better than 600, which means it is ok comapred to totally worthless.

That is it...the cons:

- Reset button hidden behind battery cover - inexcusable
    - Lockups and resets several time a day (depending on your use)
    - Slow phone app and general sluggishness; not zippy
    - Bluetooth implementation is poor and crippled - argh!
    -Legacy serial port architecture - rediculous
    -File system change/memory issues - pathetic and embarrassing for P1, annoying for us

As GWB says...pay yer bucks and take yer chances.

But where is a better device? I doubt it will not be here until late this year or 2006. We will see.

Despite my rant, I still think it's the best converge device out there (mainly due to form factor), but that it is overpriced.
    Thanks. It's good to be right!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bergman
    Mark
    This is true. it takes some time to install this way but saves lots of headache. Trust me on this. After many aborted attempts the otherway now I am forced to this, and I have over 250 apps so I am still installing and writing to software vendors for fixes to stuff.
    Palm Pro < Palm III < Palm IIIx < Palm IIIe < Palm VII < Handspring Visor < Sony PEG s320 < Kyocera 6035 < Samsung i300 < Palm TC < Sprint 650 < LifeDrive < Sprint Treo 700p < Sprint Treo 755p < Sprint Centro
    The # of negative threads will always greatly outnumber the # of positive threads...doesn't matter what device it is, what forum it is, it's a natural occurance
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    GWB is right (again).

Mark B - there are tons of software problems on "clean" 650's. The biggest culprits are P1 native apps, like Blazer, Versamail, SMS, and the Phone application, NOT 3rd party apps, which tend to work fine if the developer supports the 650. ..........

Despite my rant, I still think it's the best converge device out there (mainly due to form factor), but that it is overpriced.

Not had any problems with any of those built in apps yet (knock on wood), and I am glad that you like the product, BUT it is not overpriced, you are just paying extra for being one of the first. I am thinking about getting my significant other a 300/270 now that the price has come down so much. they think the price of a 600 is still to high.
    Palm Pro < Palm III < Palm IIIx < Palm IIIe < Palm VII < Handspring Visor < Sony PEG s320 < Kyocera 6035 < Samsung i300 < Palm TC < Sprint 650 < LifeDrive < Sprint Treo 700p < Sprint Treo 755p < Sprint Centro
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Unfortunately a lot of these problems shouldn't even be there in the first place. They seem like simple problems but they are stupid problems nonetheless. Still waiting for my Treo... lol
    Even Toyotas have probelms. No product is/will ever be problem free....have two CDMA treo 650s in my household, and we are very happy P1 customers. Will definitely buy another P1 product.
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaver99
    Since it's probably not shipping anytime soon, I have plenty of time to rethink my purchase. I was actually thinking about getting the iMate PDA2K but my friend talked me into getting the Treo since he has the Sprint version and loves it. The PDA2K is a brick but it does have WiFi and haven't heard any problems report with it.
    I had a PDA2K for 2.5 months and hated it. I first had a Treo600 on Sprint for a year, then got the PDA2K when I moved to Cingular, but I am back to a Treo600 on Cingular, trying to decided about an unlocked 650.

The PDA2K IS a brick, the Wifi was nice, but the GPRS radio in it was flaky, and it does not have EDGE support either. I had plenty of bugs with mine, and I had to reboot my phone several times a day to clear up odd things and get back memory. My 600 is SO much more stable than the PDA2K. Unless you are a huge Windows CE fan, I dont think you will like the PDA2K.
    Carl
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlGalgano
    I had a PDA2K for 2.5 months and hated it. I first had a Treo600 on Sprint for a year, then got the PDA2K when I moved to Cingular, but I am back to a Treo600 on Cingular, trying to decided about an unlocked 650.

The PDA2K IS a brick, the Wifi was nice, but the GPRS radio in it was flaky, and it does not have EDGE support either. I had plenty of bugs with mine, and I had to reboot my phone several times a day to clear up odd things and get back memory. My 600 is SO much more stable than the PDA2K. Unless you are a huge Windows CE fan, I dont think you will like the PDA2K.
    Cool, thanks for the insight. I'm surprised to learn that there actually is something more unstable than the Treo. Also all problems seem to point to Versamail. Is there a way to uninstall VM or is that locked into the ROM?
    Last edited by soulreaver99; 02/05/2005 at 07:27 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast