Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Well, I dont have a 650, I have a 600, so I can not directly comment on the stability of the 650. I do think that we should preface these threads as to weather we are talking about the CDMA version or the GSM version. I know there have been many reported issues with the Sprint CDMA version, but since the GSM version has just been release and I have not had time to read every thread here, I am still unsure if the same issues exist with the GSM version.

I guess for now, I am waiting on the sidelines on the GSM 650. I do want it, but not with its CDMA cousin's warts. After the PDA2K disaster, I am happy once again with my GSM 600. I am usually a first day, early adopter, but I will let someone else work out the issues with this one.

Regarding my comments on the PDA2K.....
    Let me go back and say that it was not the device for me, but YMMV. I dont like to make blanket statements about technology, because I realize that I only view things from my eyes, and I understand I could be wrong. I have owned Palm Pilots since the original one way back in 95 (I think, maybe 94?). I dabbled with a few CE devices as will (2 jornadas, one with a full keyboard, which i still have), but went back to Palm when the Kyo6035 came out. CE was OK, but just seemed more cumbersome to do some things. I loved the simplicity and minimalist approach on the Palm. I have never used a Mac. I am not a huge MS fan, but was smitten by the coolness of the PDA2K. It WAS very cool. But after the cool factor wore off after a month and I had to use the device as a tool and not a toy, I did not like it. Thing that I could do easily and quickly (one handed dialing from my 1800+ contact file) on the treo, where a pain in the **** on the PDA2K. I was a danger on the roads trying to make calls. I have very marginal success with MS Voice command, and I always had problems with the size. But on the plus side, the browser was good and Wifi was awesome, and that is what I miss the most.

On the Treo I use Snappermail, and find it to be EXCELLENT, it beats the snot out of the mail client on the PDA2K. As always, YMMV, but I like the size and form factor of the Treo.
    Carl
    I agree with most of the posts here; I've had problems with my Treo 650 also...But after Iinvestigated my Treo by removing some 3rd party applications, the unit works flawlessly. No more rebooting itself and locking up. At first I thought the same thng (what a piece of crap!), only to find out that the problems stemed from 3rd party software programs. Look for the tread on this site about working applications with the Treo 650. This would save alot of headaches.
    yeah I have to agree with those who say the people with the problems post more than the happy owners. I have had my Sprint CDMA version as an early adopter and just started putting it to use with hardly any complaints so I just stopped coming to this forum after awhile because I had nothing to troubleshoot and nothing to complain about.

It's been a great pc substitute for me. I had a kid a few months ago so I don't really get much time to sit down at my computer these days. But I can always manage to surf and sms and email with one hand and tote the rugrat with the other. I have Verichat and Versamail and have only occasional hiccups with them. I may have to initiate or experience an occasional reset but it is no biggie. I have to credit my husband to be sure. He always sets up our gear so that we can recover quickly or avoid altogether the nasty scenarios that come up.

I used to use a Hitachi G1000 so I well remember what those scenarios felt like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bergman
    ...reinstall apps one at a time. Clearly, we know that there will be some software incompatibilities. by installing one at a time, one has a better chance of identifying tghe conflicting application.

....Curb that enthusiasm, be patient and configure your new Palm strategically.
    This should be plastered on the main page of this site... Super advice. Install slowly, that way if you get any, you can track the buggy programs causing random resets and nuke them right there..
    I have never had so many problems with a "techie" thing in my life. I have used every version of Palm/Treo phone that existed. Problems increase as the device gets newer/flashier/more practically useless.

My 650 was installed clean from scratch. All programs are 650 compatible. NO ROMS NO HACKS.

The weirdest thing I use is Zlauncher.

I am having every major software problem mentioned on this board.

I have had almost every major HARDWARE problem on this board.

I am on my 3rd phone with P key of doom (tomorrow is 4). In 1 month of having them.

I have found new problems NOT on this board.

I am about to post the : "TREO RESETS WHEN THROWN OUT OF WINDOW" thread.

I can't be this lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    This is what I felt like doing everytime I would try and record a movie with the camera.

"Bling" - the reset screen pops up. D@mn that was frustrating.

Man, I felt like crushing the thing in my hand... and throwing it out the window.

The memory would instantly fill up and crash.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    I have never had so many problems with a "techie" thing in my life. I have used every version of Palm/Treo phone that existed. Problems increase as the device gets newer/flashier/more practically useless.

My 650 was installed clean from scratch. All programs are 650 compatible. NO ROMS NO HACKS.

The weirdest thing I use is Zlauncher.

I am having every major software problem mentioned on this board.

I have had almost every major HARDWARE problem on this board.

I am on my 3rd phone with P key of doom (tomorrow is 4). In 1 month of having them.

I have found new problems NOT on this board.

I can't be this lucky.
    That's freakin terrible

With all these issues in countless occasions, palm should just issue recall
    Last edited by soulreaver99; 02/06/2005 at 02:34 AM.
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
    as an owner of a treo650, I say forget it. get the P2DKA (or whatever it is called). Don't even waste another reply to this message.

Take it from me, I've got a stable 650, and I love it. As for you don't even consider it. You are not worthy. You cannot weild the power of the T650. It is above and beyond you. Leave now before you get suckered by one of us into buying one. Don't be a fool. If I were you I'd get a PPC with everything on it.

The universe will go on, and you will be happy you left us behind to wallow in happiness with our T650's.
    Regards,

2smart4phone
    Quote Originally Posted by 2smart4phone
    The universe will go on, and you will be happy you left us behind to wallow in happiness with our T650's.
    Yes.. wallow in happiness. All 8 of you.

I haven't got the phone yet (and am increasingly doubtful I'll get it), but just because you got one of a handful of good models doesn't mean you should discount others' difficulties with their defective ones.
    Nine!
    OK, here we go again.... To repeatedly repeat myself again....

Lots of the TREO 650's work great out of the box. Some don't work at all. Some need a whole lot of help from Shadowmite and such. I am personally of the opinion that the thing was released too soon, without proper testing. But as long as you got people who are willing to slog through the problems, fix 'em themselves or with third-party help, and then declare the thing perfect, I wouldn't hold my breath for PalmOne to do anything about it. Recall? Ha! Just try to pry the TREO 650's out of the hands of those that love 'em. I think someone actually suggested that early on and was boo'ed off the stage....
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaver99

Since it's probably not shipping anytime soon, I have plenty of time to rethink my purchase. I was actually thinking about getting the iMate PDA2K but my friend talked me into getting the Treo since he has the Sprint version and loves it. The PDA2K is a brick but it does have WiFi and haven't heard any problems report with it. Another thing freaking me out is that a few people have reported that the earpiece was too quiet and is only audible on the loudest setting.

Anyone NOT have any problems?
    My SX66 has been nothing but problems... do a little forum searching on how bad the bluetooth capabilities and the lac of support from all the OEM's and the manufacturer really is.

I gave up on it and got my 650... WiFi would be cool, but I won't die without it.
    JA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Even Toyotas have probelms. No product is/will ever be problem free....have two CDMA treo 650s in my household, and we are very happy P1 customers. Will definitely buy another P1 product.
    Um, my toyota truck has 120,000 miles on it. I treat it like crap and it still goes.

My Treo is like a Pinto on Fire with the number 1 on the odometer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbyd
    Yes.. wallow in happiness. All 8 of you.

I haven't got the phone yet (and am increasingly doubtful I'll get it), but just because you got one of a handful of good models doesn't mean you should discount others' difficulties with their defective ones.
    Confusioun say, "It is better to wallow in Happiness, then it is to wallow in da mire" he continues on, "It is better to treat your Treo650 to good software, then it is to watch it do a soft reset over and over again." finally he states "for those who feel lost and abandoned, go buy a PPC, then you will find unity amongst those like you who have learned to embrace the magic of the soft reset"
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Now that people have started to recieve their Unlocked Treo 650s, who doesn't have any problems? Been reading some feedback on your new devices and there's still a handful of issues.
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
    Ive been having issues with Ringo Pro. Im beginning to suspect it doesnt like the contacts on my SIM card. Im going to test a few more things out before I give up on Ringo.
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaver99
    Hope you're right...
    I cancelled my 650 order after reading everything here...I salivate hourly thinking of the T650 screen vs. my T600...I'm currently in limbo...
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    The question is, what's acceptable? A device that works to an acceptable degree, right? Well, my tolerance for pain is pretty high, but not being able to use your phone because it constantly resets all the time is -- I venture to say -- pretty unacceptable for most everyone.

My Treo is stock, had stuff installed, which, ironically was more stable (for a time), and then crashes occurred. After numerous hard resets, with no 3rd-part apps, ROM mods, SD cards, or HotSynced, it still resets often.

That's simply unacceptable.

I used to hate hearing about products that I owned boards get disparaged on boards. But I truly know how it feels to get a bum product. This is, in my opinion, a bum product. Yes, I'm going through recourse, but I must say, if the second one acts up, I'll just scrap the whole smartphone thing (forget about Pocket PC), and carry yet another candybar phone and a T3.

I really want it to work out. I do. We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoufSidah09
    I cancelled my 650 order after reading everything here...I salivate hourly thinking of the T650 screen vs. my T600...I'm currently in limbo...
    Return policy? Try it for 14 or 30 days or whatever your carrier offers.. Dont just forget about it because of what people say on here. There are tons of people who dont have problems that aren't posting..
    Quote Originally Posted by SoufSidah09
    I think that it was a wise decision to ditch your order. I can understand Palm releasing a product with some bugs, but it's been months now without a peep from them. No update, no patch, and no word as to when we can expect it. I think you're saving yourself some heartache and unless you need bluetooth the 600 is a lot more solid unit. (I still have my 600 and my 650 knows it's getting close to going bye bye....)
    Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast