1.    #1  
    The news of the Treo 650 is so depressing. I went from Denver, Colorado Just for the TREO ROAD show. I got a plane ticket from a friend of mine for like $100. I have friends in DC so it was no problem. I picked up my coupon and was happy as a kid in a candy store.

I was so syked to get a Treo that had a better screen and Bluetooth. Those were my 2 huge concerns. My third was the memory and I though for sure that it would be addressed.

I just canít believe how much P1 keeps screwing things up. I think they want to go out of business. First the disappointing memory news, then Road show peps donít get their phone on time, then the problems with the pricing and endless delays.

Now it is the upsetting news about the frequent resetting of a $700 phone. WT%? How can so many blunders happen and all of us keep helping P1 to stay afloat.

I am so happy that I get the phone for the $349. BECAUSE THAT IS ALL IT IS WORTH
    Good. I'm happy you're happy.

It's worth $600 to me and that's what I paid for it.

End of discussion.
    how can it be late when no date for release was given at the roadshowa?
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    ahh 449 is what you paid for the treo including the ticket
    so i guess 449 is what is worth, so in reality if you ordered from the treo store you could have had one for 319 and get it alot soon and never left your keyboard. But being happy is what its all about and im happy as hell with mine, aside from the occasional quirks its a lifesaver! mt'
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    I am so happy that I get the phone for the $349. BECAUSE THAT IS ALL IT IS WORTH
    You would be wise to invest some of your savings in a spell checker, grammar checker, or dictionary.
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    How much did it cost to research, develop and produce the Treo 650? How much is the overhead (salaries, rent, utilities) of all the palmOne offices and warehouses supporting the Treo 650? How much money are the palmOne shareholders entitled to as a return on their investment?

This worth it question is nonsense. The phone is a minor technological miracle, and palmOne is entitled to get as much money from it as possible to recoup its costs and to make a very health PROFIT, so they can continue producing better devices in the future. Its all about supply, demand and competition - if $700 seems too much, then there are plenty of other cheaper choices from other companies to choose from.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgmt
    ahh 449 is what you paid for the treo including the ticket
    so i guess 449 is what is worth, so in reality if you ordered from the treo store you could have had one for 319 and get it alot soon and never left your keyboard.
    doh!
    You know, if people would actually read these forums, instead of skimming and focusing on the complaints, they'd figure out that there is a fix for virtually every complaint made, and that the reset issues are almost entirely related to incompatible software.

If you want a *phone* that never resets, buy a basic Nokia or Samsung phone. If you want a handheld computer, which is what the Palm is, expect to put a little bit of effort into learning how to use it.

There are only a few devices that even compete with the functionality of the Treo. They all use either the Palm OS or the Pocket PC OS. And if you think Pocket PC devices are perfectly stable, then I suggest you buy one and see for yourself. In my experience, they are as prone to issues with software as the OS, and crashes tend to be more difficult to recover from.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    It's deffinitly worth the $209 it's costing me after the $150 sprint rebate even if I did have to wait till january to get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal
    You would be wise to invest some of your savings in a spell checker, grammar checker, or dictionary.
    ...I hate these kinds of posts....nothing positive at all...and totally condescending.
  11.    #11  
    lol spellchecker........ ok. Totally off topic. But ok.........
    I guess it is the fact that I don't have one yet. So all I can do is read all the bad stuff everyone writes. Since my post I feel that I could have read a little more about the problems before I made my comments. I still will be getting one. I read the one post were there were actually more people happy with the Treo 650 than unhappy.
    All the negative posts seem a lot more numerous than the positive ones.
    Plus since my friend just bought one..... he is letting me use it for the day.
    Wow bluetooth is worth $300 alone.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I think that the Treo 650 is getting somewhat of a bad reputation, and it doesn't deserve it. I compare this to the 6315 iPAQ which I think is also getting a bad reputation and actually does seem quite nice (I've had mine for the past week). People will complain quite often and very loudly when their device of choice does not work, but when it works perfectly I don't hear much about it. The trouble is, the people complaining have usually added additional software that is causing the problems, and don't understand that it may be a problem that they have caused, rather than the manufacturer of the device.

I'm going to keep using the 6315 despite all of the negative talk about it. I am impressed by how well it works and the REAL integration with Outlook, compared to how the Treo strips out some important information. I am also getting my Treo 650 from VC sometime this year and will make my decision based upon whether or not I like how it works, rather than being convinced otherwise by the complaints of others. I have played around with one and like it much more than the Treo 600 I currently have and will have to decide if it is better for me than the iPAQ...and I'm only paying $350 too).
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy
    Wow bluetooth is worth $300 alone.
    I suppose it would be if Palm didn't use the 4 year old Bluetooth standard and/or included some actual functional capabilities with it. You know, include a stack like all the other phone makers: with stuff like OBEX File Transfer, Dial-up Networking, Voice gateway, Serial Port 1, Serial Port 2, OBEX Object Push, IrMC Synchronization, HF Voice gateway, and OBEX Basic Imaging.

These are basics folks and Palm doesn't include them with the crappy Bluetooth 1.1 standard they use (to say nothing of A2DP and the like).

I might have even been satisfied with the 2 year old Bluetooth 1.2 standard if they gave us some useful profiles. But we have also seen Bluetooth 1.2+ and Bluetooth 2.0... Bluetooth 2.0 +EDR! And if Palm is so concerned about Bluetooth taking up power, why didn't they go with one of these newer and more efficient standards instead of underpowering what it did use. I mean jeez, people have to hold the phone up to their Bluetooth headset to assure good reception. Don't you see anything wrong with this?

Sure the 650 has a better screen but when you step back, you realize this phone won't take you as far as the Treo600 and THAT in my mind doesn't justify a $300 price tag. A $600 price tag is absolutely unbelievable. I agree with your intial statement in starting this thread smileyboy.

"I just canít believe how much P1 keeps screwing things up."
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    You know, if people would actually read these forums, instead of skimming and focusing on the complaints, they'd figure out that there is a fix for virtually every complaint made...
    These fixes always require a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    ... and that the reset issues are almost entirely related to incompatible software.
    Incompatible software like Versamail's crashing or their own camera software running out of memory while filming and then crashing... taking your photos or movie with it, never to be seen again.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    <bluetooth complaints omitted...>

Sure the 650 has a better screen but when you step back, you realize this phone won't take you as far as the Treo600 and THAT in my mind doesn't justify a $300 price tag. A $600 price tag is absolutely unbelievable. I agree with your intial statement in starting this thread smileyboy.

"I just canít believe how much P1 keeps screwing things up."
    This isn't based on any objective market data. The Treo 650 holds up very well against other smartphones (and even non-PDA phones) in terms of price point/features, even with the Bluetooth 1.1 "limitations" that you seem to be fixated on.

Stability issues are not unexpected on a PalmOS or PPC device, given the large software pool out there for these platforms. Judging from this forum and others related to other smartphones, the Treo 650 has fared a bit above average in terms of stability.

Finally, the handful of people I know that have a 650 haven't had any serious problems with them, and I had no troubles with the demo Sprint model I had for a month. My Bluetooth handsfree worked great with it, Salling Clicker worked great, tethering from my laptop worked, although it was problematic because the hack would periodically cause a reset of the device when disconnecting. But that's the price you pay for using a hack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridges
    ...I hate these kinds of posts....nothing positive at all...and totally condescending.
    And yours...?

Seriously, I'm not typically that mean, but there's something that tries one's patience about yet another Treo 650-bashing thread started by someone who couldn't even spell the title correctly (although I see it has since been edited). Was there "anything positive at all" about that?
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    That is why I purchased and use Beyond Contacts from DataViz. Now I enjoy all of Outlook's capabilities within my Treo 650.

And I agree that some people may be causing their own issues. I've had my 650 for 3 weeks and after the first day, had resolved my software issues and had not anything negative to report.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    REAL integration with Outlook, compared to how the Treo strips out some important information. ...
    I don't know about others but my Scala 500 works pretty well. Well enough to pick up the headset across the house (front to back) with 2.4 Ghz cordless phones and an 802.11b wireless network all running.

And I use it while driving and do not have any complaints of either the Scala 500 or the Treo 650.

Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I mean jeez, people have to hold the phone up to their Bluetooth headset to assure good reception. Don't you see anything wrong with this?
    smileyboy, sorry to hear how you feel. I was regreting for not making time to attend the road show. Now I think it was best I did not go! I was able to see the same presentation online a couple of weeks ago when PalmOne had the online live presentation of the RoadShow. So I got a chance to see the presentation in the comfort of my office. I then place an order 2/2 in the morning while enjoying a Starbucks Latte. As a developer, I got $100 off my Cingular phone (paid $449 w/free next day shipping). Two days later, morning of 2/4 I get my Treo 650! I'm one happy Treo owner! Love the device! I still have the original Treo 600 (purchased Nov. '03), never replaced, fixed, just firmware upgrades along the way.

Hang in there. Not everybody has had a bad experience getting the device nor using it. We usually hear more from complaints than the satisfied customers.

Thank you PalmOne! Love my Treo 650 Cingular!