Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK I received my Cingular GSM version of the 650 today about 3:00 PM. Since then I have had to soft reset it no less than 6 times as it keeps locking up. I even hard reset it and did not install any apps to see if it was an app I installed causing the problems. The answer was nope. While at dinner tonight it was sitting on the table and it reset itself 2 times.

I will call Palm in the morning to get a replacement.

Somebody please tell me this device works better for them.
    Corey

Current Devices: Palm Pre 2, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Focus and Apple's iPhone 4
    Exchange it... you have 30 days. Is there no Cingular retail store near you? I purchased mine through the retail store in case I was in the same predicament. I went through 4 treo 600's in the past so its really helpful.
    Last edited by The Truth; 02/04/2005 at 11:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by coreymcl
    OK I received my Cingular GSM version of the 650 today about 3:00 PM. Since then I have had to soft reset it no less than 6 times as it keeps locking up. I even hard reset it and did not install any apps to see if it was an app I installed causing the problems. The answer was nope. While at dinner tonight it was sitting on the table and it reset itself 2 times.

I will call Palm in the morning to get a replacement.

Somebody please tell me this device works better for them.
    Did it reset twice spontaneously with no 3rd party software installed?
    wow...if mine starts this crap...I'll call Cing then palm. IMHO, it's BOTH of their crap. Something tells me that people w/ unlocked (read FUNCTIONAL) phones don't have any problem we'll see about that tho.
    I got my 650 cing on Thurs. I love it. I installed verichat and chatter. chatter proceeded to download 1500 emails in my inbox. I am using voicedial and bluetooth and I love it. not one reset (yet)
    You guys haven't seen it all. My Treo 650 did 12 uncommanded power cycles in 6 hours period. It power cycles when I try to make a call or try to answer a call on random base. Returned mine and waiting on second one. T.T
    And now it starts
    Well, let's be methodical about this. Those of you having problems with your Cingular 650's:

1. Did you upgrade from a previous Palm OS device?

2. What about swapping from a Sprint 650?

I'm of the mind that some of these resets are upgrade related, if anything because I started with a clean setup and haven't had any of these rbeoot problems with my 650 (though we'll see what happens after the dust settles and I try to order my CIngular version and switch over from Sprint).
    I picked up my Cingular 650 on thurs. Did a full reinstall and added apps by scratch one by one. Then I beamed my contacts and memos over from my 600. Not one reset yet.
    Using Xiino, snappermail, isilo, palmreader, splashid, adobe reader, zlauncher 5.103.....
    Bluetooth working nicely with a scala-500.
    I learned my lesson about upgrading Palm devices thankfully through second-hand experiences a few years ago. A number of my colleagues at work were having trouble upgrading from early Palms - post original Palm Pilot (Lord, I can't remember model numbers anymore, it's been that long ). So I helped them do a full reinstall based on the logic that this often happens with other software unfortunately. Sure enough, it always worked, and since then, I've done it that way always for myself. Never had a problem.
    Angel

SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
    I reinstalled one by one on Tuesday, and haven't had a problem since. Upgrading over the old installation seems to be a really bad idea. (I deleted my old installation, stored the Handspring folder elsewhere just in case - palmone for some of you - and installed from the disk as if it had never been there.)
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    Yup. It's a pain, takes long, and then, at least for me, I always go through this "do I really want to add that program again" thing. But it works.
    Angel

SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
    The problem i found was a simple one. My palm kept resetting and I couldnt figure out why...then i had someone call my phone with a number that was only on the sim card...and it reset. Then I took the number off the sim and the phone was fine. I deleted all my contacts off the sim card (which had contacts copied from an older phone) and placed them in the phones internal memory. No more radom resets. I think its an issue with the cingular sim and not necessarily the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEvan23
    The problem i found was a simple one. My palm kept resetting and I couldnt figure out why...then i had someone call my phone with a number that was only on the sim card...and it reset. Then I took the number off the sim and the phone was fine. I deleted all my contacts off the sim card (which had contacts copied from an older phone) and placed them in the phones internal memory. No more radom resets. I think its an issue with the cingular sim and not necessarily the phone.
    Good catch! You should definitely report this to Cingular (and possibly palmOne) so they can at least be aware of it, and hopefully come up with a fix as well. This will undoubtedly be a common problem, since many people will be migrating from old phones.
  15.    #15  
    So is anybody else using a 64K SIM card?
    Corey

Current Devices: Palm Pre 2, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Focus and Apple's iPhone 4
    I am, but I never keep contacts on my SIM.
    Is there a way to avoid keeping contacts on a SIM with a conventional (non PDA) GSM phone? Just planning ahead as I prepare to order a 650.
    Mark Bergman
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I got my 650 cing on Thurs. I love it. I installed verichat and chatter. chatter proceeded to download 1500 emails in my inbox. I am using voicedial and bluetooth and I love it. not one reset (yet)

whoa...1500 emails....where did you store it? sd card or internal?
    am curious, how much space does it take for the 1500 emails ?
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
  19. e40
    I got my 650 from the Cinglar store on friday. I played with it a bunch. I think it randomly rebooted once, but I'm not sure. It was after I turned on the phone. (Don't these phones sometimes download stuff when you turn them on a reboot?) I put it on the charger friday night.

Got up saturday and used it a few times. Then, noticed the phone was off. Tried to turn it on, but I got a message about there not being enough battery, even though the battery icon said the thing was full. So, I charged it a while (I wish I had reset it... I bet it would have worked). Then, turned the phone on again, but it said "Network search..." for a couple of minutes. Reset. Worked fine.

Today, I've had 3 random reboots. 1st was when I removed the SD blank. Second was just after clicking on a contact. 3rd I don't remember. Then I got the "Network search..." again. Reset. Worked.

I installed over my Handspring Visor software.

I guess I should uninstall the software, hard reset, reinstall software, sync.

My question: will the uninstall/reinstall leave my data intact? I have NO 3rd party apps installed.
  20.    #20  
    e40 are you using Versamail or the Web browser? I have called Palm and they are sending me a new 650. I am hoping that the 64K sim card is not causing the problems. Like you I have hard reset my device so I have no 3rd party apps. Additionally, I have deleted all of my contacts from the SIM card. The only ones left are the Cingular ones that I don't seem to be able to delete.

Since I have been waiting for this device I sure hope the next one is going to be better. Bye the way anybody want to by an unlocked GSM 600 flashed with Cingular?
    Corey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast