Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Treo 650 Antenna range sucks!! is there an antenna booster, that will help
    They sell for $0.50 so, it seems like a fluke but i got full bars on my sanyo 8100, but now i miss 90% of my calls at home, because of
    NO RECEPTION !!!
    Did you switch your carrier?
    ... i get very good reception and coverage with my 650
    $0.50 devices are worth about $0.02. There are ways thatr you may improve your phone's RF performance. In the car or at home the use of an external antenna or an external antenna with a bi-directional amplifier (Wilson Electronics) will help a lot. The key issue here is that, to the best of my knowledge, no manufacturer has yet released an adapter that fits the 650 external antenna connector. I live in a rural area and use the antenna and amp with a conventional cell phone to greatly extend my range.
    Mark Bergman
    I've worked on a couple of systems that have RF transmitters and I know first hand that tens of thousands of dollars or more goes into radio design performance and compliance testing. If any of those telemarketed antenna amplifiers worked we'd be using them. I say this as a baseband engineer and not a RF engineer, but I believe I've seen enough to make a good argument.

I can't vouch for the Treo's radio design and I haven't see the innards, but if I had to guess, it is either oem radio module that is shared by a bunch of other phones or it is close to some reference design from the chipset manufacturer. Suffice to say, it is probably on par with most anything out there.

If your having reception problems, I'd be more likely to blame the lack of basestations in your area. The only way to fix that is to file a complaint with your network provider. If they get enough complaints for that area, you'd think they would put more priority on that area. I don't have any first hand knowledge of this so take it for what it's worth, just remember even if they did react instantly to your complaint it would take months to set the site up and more months just to test it. (i.e. your s#@t up a creek.)

As for the RF port on the phone, this is most likely for factory testing purposes. Unfortunately, connecting it to an exterior antenna doesn't necessarily mean it would work any better. Antenna design is based on specific geometries dictated by the physics of the RF frequencies you are using. If you connected an external antenna, depending on the design, the original antenna would still be connected and it would adversely effect the one you just added. The wireless handheld I worked on had a similar port that our test fixture connected to, but the antenna was seperated by an open solder bridge. When the radio checked out for output power, sensitivity, etc. , we put solder over the solder bridge closed the unit up and then we performed system level RF testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodHw
    I've worked on a couple of systems that have RF transmitters and I know first hand that tens of thousands of dollars or more goes into radio design performance and compliance testing. If any of those telemarketed antenna amplifiers worked we'd be using them. I say this as a baseband engineer and not a RF engineer, but I believe I've seen enough to make a good argument.

I can't vouch for the Treo's radio design and I haven't see the innards, but if I had to guess, it is either oem radio module that is shared by a bunch of other phones or it is close to some reference design from the chipset manufacturer. Suffice to say, it is probably on par with most anything out there.

If your having reception problems, I'd be more likely to blame the lack of basestations in your area. The only way to fix that is to file a complaint with your network provider. If they get enough complaints for that area, you'd think they would put more priority on that area. I don't have any first hand knowledge of this so take it for what it's worth, just remember even if they did react instantly to your complaint it would take months to set the site up and more months just to test it. (i.e. your s#@t up a creek.)

As for the RF port on the phone, this is most likely for factory testing purposes. Unfortunately, connecting it to an exterior antenna doesn't necessarily mean it would work any better. Antenna design is based on specific geometries dictated by the physics of the RF frequencies you are using. If you connected an external antenna, depending on the design, the original antenna would still be connected and it would adversely effect the one you just added. The wireless handheld I worked on had a similar port that our test fixture connected to, but the antenna was seperated by an open solder bridge. When the radio checked out for output power, sensitivity, etc. , we put solder over the solder bridge closed the unit up and then we performed system level RF testing.
    Let me add my vote that the antenna on the 650 does not suck. You either changed carriers (or if Cingular, possibly switched from Orange to Blue etc) or you got a bumb phone. The 650 performs just fine.

Those antenna boosters that go behind your battery should be outlawed - they are just snake oil - in other words they are crap. There is nothing an interesting tin foil design glued to your phone can do to improve the antenna system on the phone. This is a fact.

As for the port on the back of the 650 - I don't agree that it is likely there for factory testing. If that is the case it shouldn't be user accessible. I have had several phones with such porst that were intended for an external antenna on a car's hands free kit. They are not going to adversly effect the phone's antenna system, they are likely going to work with it, or bypass it.
    Treo 650 GSM
    It is indeed an antenna port. Wilson Electronics will have an adaptor for the phone by the end of the month (according to them). It is listed on their website: www.wilsonelectronics.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    It is indeed an antenna port. Wilson Electronics will have an adaptor for the phone by the end of the month (according to them). It is listed on their website: www.wilsonelectronics.com
    I seem to recall at one point seeing an antenna something like one of these that didn't actually have to connect the the phone physically....Does anyone know anything about those antennae?
    ooooh, look at the shiny Copper Treo 680
    There are companies that sell mobile repeaters like cellantenna:

http://www.cellantenna.com/repeater/cae50.htm

Very expensive solution though...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey

[I
    Those antenna boosters that go behind your battery should be outlawed - they are just snake oil - in other words they are crap. There is nothing an interesting tin foil design glued to your phone can do to improve the antenna system on the phone. This is a fact. [/I]

I used one foil crap on sprint 650. Useless POS.
    I amnot sure about the other ones with plastic antenna boosters.If they were that useful providers would give those things free with your phone rather than installing towers in those area.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic

OUCH....$500 (wait; how much am I paying for a friggin' phone????)
    I'm pretty sure I had seen less expensive, simpler ones, though....more like the size of the car ones
    ooooh, look at the shiny Copper Treo 680
    try first an antenna (the 12 to 15 dB gain type). They're cheap and very effective. The only drawback is being tethered to the antenna cable. You can't try that solution until the antenna adaptor is released at the end of the month.
    As for the port on the back of the 650 - I don't agree that it is likely there for factory testing. If that is the case it shouldn't be user accessible. I have had several phones with such porst that were intended for an external antenna on a car's hands free kit. They are not going to adversly effect the phone's antenna system, they are likely going to work with it, or bypass it.
    helpermonkey has a good point, it is user accessible. But I would argue that the plug is not attached to the phone, there are very few developers (ex. Wilson Electronics) providing such antenna products, and the fact that Users Manual and the Developers Guide make no reference to the port, leads me to believe that it was only intended for factory testing and that Wilson's is just taking advantage of it second hand. It is possible to have an exterior bypass antenna (ex. some wifi cards have them), but the device has to be designed for it and without opening up a Treo 650 I can't argue that it isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic

I was of the impression that it is not legal to own such devices (they also sell Cellular jaming equipment which I know for a fact is illegal in the US). The carrier is the one who has the right to broadcast spectrum in their area, and no one else. Carriers can put up signal repeaters, but I don't know that a consumer can. At least if you repeate the wrong signal by pointing the yagi antenna the wrong way, you could cause interference in your area - which could result in a complaint to the FCC by the carrier. Also it messes up E911 locating.
    Treo 650 GSM
    I was of the impression that it is not legal to own such devices (they also sell Cellular jaming equipment which I know for a fact is illegal in the US). The carrier is the one who has the right to broadcast spectrum in their area, and no one else. Carriers can put up signal repeaters, but I don't know that a consumer can. At least if you repeate the wrong signal by pointing the yagi antenna the wrong way, you could cause interference in your area - which could result in a complaint to the FCC by the carrier. Also it messes up E911 locating.

I don't think you know what you are talking about. Sprint has given out repeaters exactly the same as these for people with poor reception as part of a field trial... It is VERY unlikely they would cause ANY interference in the area as they are VERY low power and their effect is VERY local. It MAY cause a small shift in E911 locating but you are talking the EFFECTIVE RANGE of the repeater, which is in the 100s of feet, not blocks or miles....

No I don't think so. If you check out cellantenna's site, the sell equipment for a wide viariety of settings from repeaters for large sky scrapers to inexpensive signal boosters for your home. It seems perfectly legal to me...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    As someone who has worked in the communications industry, I'll risk some complaints. These are facts:
    1. The in building repeater is legal if "Type Accepted" by the FCC. Simple label to look at or to inquire of the vendor.
    2. The writer who suggested the directional antenna (aka Yagi) for home/office use if right on the money.
    3. Many phones have external antenna ports intended for use with external antennas (not testing) that may be plugged in directly or via a car kit. The Treo 600 is one such phone., It's probably sae to assume that the 650 is also. I've used quite a few of them. As posted earlier, I currently use a Wilson bi-directional amp, external antenna and adapter with my Nokia and enjoy a significant expansion of my usable coverage when in my car. The Wilson amp and adapter retail for around $300-. One may get a decent improvement in mobile coverage with the simple addition of the external antenna and adapter. In fact, I routinely recommend that users try this inexpensive approach before investing in the Wilson amp.

I hope that everyone takes this message in the spirit in which it is intended; purely to deliver facts and simplify this debate.
    Mark Bergman
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quedawg
    Treo 650 Antenna range sucks!! is there an antenna booster, that will help
    They sell for $0.50 so, it seems like a fluke but i got full bars on my sanyo 8100, but now i miss 90% of my calls at home, because of
    NO RECEPTION !!!
    I used one of those cheap interneal antennas and my phone started to chearp durring calls every so many seconds, this went away when I removed it. I didn't notice any real boost in reception either.
    Quote Originally Posted by cschmelz
    I don't think you know what you are talking about. Sprint has given out repeaters exactly the same as these for people with poor reception as part of a field trial... It is VERY unlikely they would cause ANY interference in the area as they are VERY low power and their effect is VERY local. It MAY cause a small shift in E911 locating but you are talking the EFFECTIVE RANGE of the repeater, which is in the 100s of feet, not blocks or miles....
    cschmelz - I said I was of the impression not that I knew. I also suppose it depends on the power output of the repeater etc. You could be right about them not likely causing interference, once again it all depends on the setup and the output power on the device. Some repeaters are very high powered, others do not need to be. I may not be an expert on repeaters, but I do have experience with them. It is also possible to get a false E911 location reading do to a repeater.
    Treo 650 GSM
    I used one of these repeater systems in my car when I had my VZW Kyocera 7135. It didn't seem to be too effective. I had to go this way because there was NO antenna port on the phone like there is on the Treo 650. When it becomes available, I will be buying the antenna adaptor at the very least. A decent quality external antenna connected directly to the antenna port on the phone gives you a really big bang for your buck. You will have a several dB increase in signal for less than $30 (antenna plus adaptor). Make sure you use one of the larger gain antennas, not the little 3dB stubby kind. If that isn't enough, then the Wilson or other manufacturer's direct connect (not a repeater) amplifier will give the best performance. For Sprint, you will need the dual band type. However, you may not need the amplifier though. It really depends upon your own situation. If you are always in fringe areas with poor coverage, then the antenna plus amplifier is the way to go. I wouldn't mess with the repeater systems. The direct connect method is far more effective, less costly and will not cause any outside interference.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast