Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In a car just having the antenna outside makes a large improvement. The signal drops quite a bit inside the vehicle.
    Treo 650 GSM
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstevens
    Did you switch your carrier?
    thank you for the replies, I am have always had SPRINT,
    I simply changed phones on the same service from the sanyo 8100 to the Treo 650
    the sanyo antenna tip was broke and still got X3 better reception,

This is the case I have not moved, I live in the same place, I have the same carrier, in the morning I had a sayno 8100 (battered and beaten) broken antenna tip, *** FULL RECEPTION BARS *** anywhere in my apartment,

Activated Treo 650
    1 bar of reception
    2 - 2 1/2 if i stand by a window
    Last edited by quedawg; 02/05/2005 at 06:53 PM.
    If reception is that much worse, have you tried taking it in for exchange? It sounds defective. I have noticed no difference betwen my GSM 650 and the phones I had before it.
    Treo 650 GSM
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    If reception is that much worse, have you tried taking it in for exchange? It sounds defective. I have noticed no difference betwen my GSM 650 and the phones I had before it.
    not defective when i go outside i can get 4 (full bars) reception,

This is the case I have not moved, I live in the same place, I have the same carrier, in the morning I had a sayno 8100 (battered and beaten) broken antenna tip, *** FULL RECEPTION BARS *** anywhere in my apartment,

Activated Treo 650
    1 bar of reception
    2 - 2 1/2 if i stand by a window

just inside house and inside car, the reception is not as good

is there a setting that I could adjust anything,
    is there a replacement retractable antenna

not going to spend extra $100 on repeater or etc, the phone was enough

maybe I should not compare the wonderful treo to sanyo reception quality
    I am stumped. I don't know how you could be seeing that much of a difference in coverage between phones. Sure some phones are different than others reception wise, but I have never seen any phone that is hugely different from another phone. There is no setting you can change, the reception is all due to the phone's hardware.

Maybe you already said, but I assume you are not able to use the phone in places you could before?
    Treo 650 GSM
    I've owned an unlocked TREO 600 for 3 years and just purchased an unlocked TREO 650 (both via eBay).

The 600 has what generally seemed to me as normal (ie, very good) reception around town and inside my house. It sucked at work inside what I assume is a steel building.

Now with my new 650, I have ZERO reception at my house. I don't just get zero bars, but I even get the "No Service - SOS Only". This is the case whether I'm inside my house, or anywhere in my neighborhood.

It's amazing to me.

My 600 has a full 4 bars inside my house and basically everywhere I go (sans valleys, etc).

There is something completely different about the 650 that makes is completely worthless in my neighborhood.

What to do?
    Did anyone try the Yagi-Uda aka $0-extension ?

There's an interesting wifi router boost option presented in a (actually "the") german IT-magazine. Maybe someone may translate it that has good techi knowledge.
    I know to little about RF stuff, but I gather it would be worth a try .... not a very permanent solution I guess, but for emergency situations or during hiking....

(I may not post links ... yet, but if you put the artikel number 116319 in the search ("Suche") box on heise de you will find the "Die-0-Euro-Antenne" artikel)

Btw, my T650 has a miserable range, too. No, I haven't tried building this antenna yet.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 10/08/2008 at 04:41 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12