1.    #1  
    I have been using a Tungsten C for the past year and a half waiting for the 650. Now, while I am waiting for my shipment, my only concern is that the processor might not be fast enough. Is anyone technical enough to explain, or has anyone compared first hand these two devices? A comparison with a T2/T3 would not be sufficient, as they are driving more screen real estate than 320x320.

The T|C runs on the Intel XScale PXA255 at 400Mhz.
    The Treo 650 runs on the Intel Xscale PXA270 at 312Mhz.

Is the newer PXA270 chip fast enough to cover the 88Mhz Mhz speed gap?

Now, this might not matter to some, but when playing some of the more graphic intense games, speed of the processor is a huge factor. See Bejeweled II, Dynomite, etc...

And lastly, are there any OS5 overclocking utilities that work? I used to use one on OS4, I forget the name, but you could speed each app individually according to preference, worked very well. TIA
    The PXA270 is used in the 650 primarily b/c of it's advanced power saving features. It's speedy enough, but I think the biggest performance bottleneck you will encounter is not the proc but the NVFS which severely slows down certain functions. This is the same problem found on the T5 fyi...

Also, there are overclocking utilties that work on the 650 liek PXAclocker:

http://www.hexview.com/pxa/index.html

Do a search for more user experiences with this on the 650...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I had a tungsten t5 and my 650 is definitely faster than my tungsten t5 was. I have a tungsten t3 still and I would say that my 650 opens apps faster. I was a little worried about getting the 650 because of the way the t5 handled NVFS, but I can tell you for sure that the 650 is faster at opening apps than my t5 ever was and it is just so much more reliable ie. does not crash like the t5 did. It seems to me that the 650 isn't really affected with the slowness of the NVFS that the t5 has. I did overclock my t5 with pxaclocker, I fee no need to use this app on the 650.
    Blade,

I'm with you on that. Been asking the same since last mid-year, when I started hearing about the 650. Also, we're losing 32MB of memory. In one way, I'll be glad to get rid of the cradle.
    Quote Originally Posted by soccrnj80
    I had a tungsten t5 and my 650 is definitely faster than my tungsten t5 was. I have a tungsten t3 still and I would say that my 650 opens apps faster. I was a little worried about getting the 650 because of the way the t5 handled NVFS, but I can tell you for sure that the 650 is faster at opening apps than my t5 ever was and it is just so much more reliable ie. does not crash like the t5 did. It seems to me that the 650 isn't really affected with the slowness of the NVFS that the t5 has. I did overclock my t5 with pxaclocker, I fee no need to use this app on the 650.

Are you sure? I've experienced various delays like switchng to and from the phone app which can take several seconds at times! Seems like the NVFS is definitely a culprit here. Do a search and many others have reported the same thing. Furthermore, if you search PIC and brighthand, you'll find users who say the same thing about the T5 as welll...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I do see like a 1 second delay opening the phone application with my 650, but all the other buttons like datebook, I remapped messaging to memo's open instantly, this was not the case on my t5. I can tell you that the 650 is DEFINTIELY faster than the t5, a co-worker has one and he said the same thing, that his 416 mhz should be faster, but my treo seems to open apps, mainly apps assigned to buttons. I do see the second delay when placing a phone call, but when pressing the contacts button on a t5 there is a delay of it being opened, with my treo I have my phone button set to start looking up a contact when I begin typing and it's instantaneous, it seems the dleay is only when placing a call. It's like a second though, and I am so glad that it isn't affected the way the t5 is. I had 3 t5's and they were all like that, mainly opening an app from an assigned button. Do not hesitate on the 650 because of the 312 vs 400 vs 416, you will be very happy with it, TRUST ME.
    LOL. I think your infactuation with the Treo 650 would make it appear faster than a 3 GHZ Pentium 4 desktop computer.
    LOL, I admit I love this thing Just got it tuesday and I have been concerned about the processor, I had a zodiac 2 and it was 200 mhz, and I could feel a difference compared to my t3. Then I got a t5, and it was slower than my t3. I thought for sure the 650 would be slow cause of the 312 mhz and the new NVFS, don't mean to make it sound that the 650 is faster than a 3ghz p4, my powerbook is faster than that I just am very happy with the 650, and had these same concerns. IS is wrong to be enthusiastic, and happy? lol
    I have both a TC and a t650 the biggest problems that I have had are the memory problems. I sync both with the same name on different computers so that I can use the same apps; on both units bejeweled (I play 3 versions: 1 in B&W and color, plus new version 2) runs just as well on the 650, warfare inc also seemed to run at good speed. Omniremote does not work in the 650 and a few other programs crash my 650 but not my C, but speed wise I have not noticed anything worth writing about, if you want I will do side by side comparisons, just tell me what apps.