Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Greetings all,

This is my first post on this forum. I've owned a 600 for over a year now and about to make the jump to the 650. I am an AT&T Wireless user. I've called in and I've been told by PalmOne that they will honor the $599.00 price for an unlocked model by charging me $699 and putting a credit of $100.00 to my credit card once it's shipped.

No problem except that the Jabra headset is not included. So I would have to buy that for around $100.00. The other thing is, I love the colors of the Cingular set but the ATT set comes with no logos or anything. Just the regular silver exactly like the unlocked version but it's locked to AT&T. The PalmOne guy said that ATT will give me the unlock code because I've been a customer with them for so long but I called ATT to verify and they said no, that they don't have access. Also, the PalmOne web site specifically states, and I quote, "All AT&T Wireless Treo smartphones are subsidy-locked to the AT&T Wireless network. AT&T Wireless policy does not provide unlock keys to customers. There is no way to unlock a smartphone locked to the AT&T Wireless network."

So I have a few questions before I make the jump:

1) What's DUN? I know it stands for Dial Up Networking, but it that was Bluetooth uses, etc.?

2) Does the unlocked model come with DUN disabled or enabled?

3) If I buy the locked version which I assumes comes with DUN enabled, if one of the engineers comes up with an unlock software, does it disable the DUN?

Sorry for the newbish questions.

Oh, last one, is there an unlock code already out for the ATT Treo 600? If I don't sell my 600, then maybe that's the one that I will travel with instead of the 650.

Thanks for all the help.

Silent
    reversed. The unlocked has DUN enabled. I'm not sure about ATTWS 650s, but Cingular locked DUN on theirs.

If I remember correctly.
  3.    #3  
    So what exactly does DUN do? Why would I want it either disabled or enabled?
  4.    #4  
    I'm guessing it allows me to dial into an ISP? So it becomes an additional benefit if I have it enabled? Sounds like I'm better off getting the unlocked version for $50.00 more even though I'll have to buy the Jabra.
    Who the heck really knows what's going to happen with official updates or fixes by either P1 or the carriers to enable DUN. At least on the Sprint 650's, it doesn't work and who knows if we will ever see a fix by either party. If one really needs this capablity, buy PDAnet for $34 <http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php >. Or, add the custom "hack" that has been posted elsewhere which is free.
    Quote Originally Posted by SofTTware
    Or, add the custom "hack" that has been posted elsewhere which is free.
    The custom hack doesn't work. I imagine that Shadowmite will get it working eventually, once he gets his hands on a phone that he can test. But for now, the patch on his website installs and then basically kills Bluetooth. I had to do a hard reset to get back even the limited Bluetooth that comes standard on the Cingular phone.
  7.    #7  
    But what exactly will having DUN enabled let me do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent
    But what exactly will having DUN enabled let me do?
    tethering the net, using t650 as modem @ EDGE speed
  9.    #9  
    Cools. Would I need a 3rd party software like PDANet or something to make that happen?

Any other uses?
    I doubt you'll be able to thether at EDGE speed. You will get dialup speed, perhaps like a 56k modem.

The idea is using your Treo650 as a wireless modem via bluetooth or USB connection. This is useful if you are roaming and unable to access data for some reason, or if you simply want to use your computer to browse by using your cellular connection.
    If DUN were working, then you wouldn't need PDANet. With DUN disabled, PDANet is a good workaround or substitute. I've just installed it here, but I haven't tested it yet. As for getting EDGE speeds, yes, you should be able to. But you'll need a strong signal and a USB connection between the laptop and the phone to get the best possible performance. I haven't tested it yet - there are just too many things to check out with this new toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I doubt you'll be able to thether at EDGE speed. You will get dialup speed, perhaps like a 56k modem.
    And why wouldn't you reach EDGE speed? The DUN profile on Bluetooth would certainly support it, and those who have tried it on Sprint are easily surpassing modem speed.
    I don't see why you can't get EDGE speed when tethering. My Treo is on Sprint and I get 112 kbps when using DUN via Bluetooth. EDGE speeds are pretty comparable to 1xRTT and Bluetooth wouldn't be a bottleneck there as it has a much higher throughput than both 1xRTT and EDGE. If you're in an area where the handset is capable of getting optimal data speeds, you should get them when tethering as well.

The idea is using your Treo650 as a wireless modem via bluetooth or USB connection. This is useful if you are roaming and unable to access data for some reason, or if you simply want to use your computer to browse by using your cellular connection.
    I'm not following. The main reason people will use their Treo as a wireless modem for is to use their carrier's data service. So if you're roaming or unable to access data for another reason, you won't be able to use the Treo as a modem for your computer. The only way youi'd be able to do that if you're not getting data from your carrier would be to dial into an ISP. But with the questions about EDGE, the assumption is that he will be using AT&T (or Cingular's) data network. No data on phone, no data on computer.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks for all the answers. I knew about TreoCentral awhile ago, but never really came to the forums before and I've have my Treo 600 for over a year now. I should have been here a long time ago! Thanks again!
    Shadowmite Dun patch works fine for me. It's great for airport situations or a coffee shop that (gasp) doesn't have wireless internet
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    jfmcdowell357 - which DUN patch do you have, CDMA or GSM? Is the CDMA patch being used successfuly on GSM phones??
    Vince
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmcdowell357
    Shadowmite Dun patch works fine for me. It's great for airport situations or a coffee shop that (gasp) doesn't have wireless internet
    Which patch - CDMA or GSM? I got the GSM patch installed fine, but once it was installed I could no longer configure Bluetooth. Every time I tried to do a "Setup Device", the phone rebooted. I fought with it for a little while, then just did a full hardware reset to get the phone back to its original status.

I installed the patch by emailing it to my phone. Once my free memory card gets here, I may try to install it via that instead to see if it makes any difference.

I've got the trial copy of PDANet on my phone now, though, so if DUN won't work I can go ahead and register that instead.
    The AT&T version is not the same colors as the unlocked. It's the same colors as the Cingular (silver & blue). The unlocked one is silver & grey.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Tethering over USB or Bluetooth will indeed give you EDGE speeds, assuming you are on a carrier and a plan that provides EDGE.
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgoflyers81
    My Treo is on Sprint and I get 112 kbps when using DUN via Bluetooth.
    112kbps is not a such a prize considering all the EDGE hype, but I'm curious: Is that an actual speed test, or are you reading your port connection speed?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast