1.    #1  
    I bought a GSM Treo 650 (AT&T) at the PalmOne store in Valley Fair Mall in San Jose for $549.99. As soon as I was back home I put my SIM card in it to test the phone. The screen is nicer, the phone is very heavy, very big wonít fit in your pocket. The holster is not included. The phone is LOCKED.

The phone quality is just ok, PalmOne improved it a little bit compared to the 600 but not that much. You can still hear the radio. You still have the same cheap keyboard.

After testing the phone I setup quickly my email account on SBC and Gmail, everything worked until versamail started to soft reset the phone as soon as I clicked on the versamail icon.

Browsing is faster than the 600 thanks to EDGE. But you canít access audio or video streaming.

Bluetooth support only Synch and Headset profile. No files transfer, very disappointing.

Camera, same as the 600. They just improved the quality. I have 2 yellow lines on the screen.

After testing the device I installed the new software on my computer, the new software installed some new files and found my Treo 600 folder. Some applications are not compatible. After the installation I Synched for the first time the 650. It worked but every single application started to soft reset the Treo 650. I decided to Hard Reset the Treo 650, archived up my contacts and uninstalled both Treo 600 and 650 programs. I re-installed the 650 program on my computer, Synched the 650 and now everything is working ok.

As always the Treo 650 soft reset at least 5 times a day. I only have original applications no 3rd party ones.

In conclusion PalmOne just lighty improved the 650 compared to the 600. The phone is very heavy, big and wonít fit in your pocket. In term of reliability you know it is a PalmOne device. The pictures taken are just ok, versamail crashed the treo one every 3 times I open this software. Real lack of multimedia features like streaming (audio, video files). Lack of Bluetooth profiles. The only good thing is the keyboard except if you have large fingers. Lack of free VPN software. The price for this device is very expensive especially if you're going to buy the unlock version. $699 is the price of laptop nowdays, and from my point of view the Treo 650 is not worth it. Thatís why I decided to return my Treo 650 and I will get a smaller, lighter, cheaper and more stable device in term of operating system.
    Hmm...sorry you had a bad experience..I love mine (so far).
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I guess your first day was also your last day.....
    Quote Originally Posted by joxes
    As always the Treo 650 soft reset at least 5 times a day. I only have original applications no 3rd party ones.

Wow, I have had my GSM Treo 650 since last Friday and it maybe has reset twice during this whole time. This after several 3rd party apps and a lot of usage including streaming music, chatteremail, and Blazer. May need to ask for an exchange...
    I did not have any major issues with mine and I only have 10 MB left on my Treo. The best way to install apps is to look for the lastest version online before installing them. Then install the apps first, backup and install the databases later. Mine works just fine. I do not reset that much. I think the only times my Treo reseted was with Xiino.

Good luck and always backup before doing anything new and test and test.

Al
    i was able to transfer files via bluetooth with mine.

i transferred some pictures from my mpx220.
    file xfer w/ bt either way works. most apps allow you to send appl or data item. Use FileZ for sending any file. rtm!
    my treo 650 from cingular sucks!!! it kept crashing or resetting on me for no apparent reason. one time i had a incoming call, and i click to receive the call then it resets. i use the onscreen dial pad to dial a call, after clicking dial button on screen it resets again. what the dillio???

also, when i dial 1 to retrieve voicemail it connects me with sprint???? hello??? i thought i bought a cingular phone from a cingular store???? sprint??????

how do you do a hard reset on this mutha????
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Just got mine this morning from Cingular. The unit is beautiful, set it up and synched with outlook, set up pop3 email and xpress mail to my lotus notes server,
    I can make calls and access the internet, BUT!!!!!!!. I cannot receive calls.
    Whenan incoming call is detected,THE DAMN THING DOES A RESET.
    Took it in to Cingular store but they were no help and did not have any in stock.
    Had to call NBO and order another unit, Am sending this one back, BUMMER
    Quote Originally Posted by joxes
    ...... Thatís why I decided to return my Treo 650 and I will get a smaller, lighter, cheaper and more stable device in term of operating system.
    I can recommend the Treo 600. Whatever you buy, sell P1. They are too clever by half.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I did not have any major issues with mine and I only have 10 MB left on my Treo. The best way to install apps is to look for the lastest version online before installing them. Then install the apps first, backup and install the databases later. Mine works just fine. I do not reset that much. I think the only times my Treo reseted was with Xiino.

Good luck and always backup before doing anything new and test and test.

Al
    If it takes this much knowledge, care, and luck, one might as well have a PPC.

Sell P1; they are sleaze.
    Quote Originally Posted by amexman
    Just got mine this morning from Cingular. The unit is beautiful, set it up and synched with outlook, set up pop3 email and xpress mail to my lotus notes server,
    I can make calls and access the internet, BUT!!!!!!!. I cannot receive calls.
    Whenan incoming call is detected,THE DAMN THING DOES A RESET.
    Took it in to Cingular store but they were no help and did not have any in stock.
    Had to call NBO and order another unit, Am sending this one back, BUMMER
    One would think that the ability to receive calls is a fundamental requirement of a cell phone.

Sell P1.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    If it takes this much knowledge, care, and luck, one might as well have a PPC.

Sell P1; they are sleaze.
    Hey, hey. LOL, no cheap shots. Actually, I agree that PPC OS has a more steep learning curve than Palm because it is not as straight forward.

My problem is with both operating system based phones that came out this year. I tried both the Treo 650 and I'm trying the PPC6601. In both cases the quirkiness of the phone fatures, software problems, sound quality, and blutooth flakiness all overshadow how good the PDA is.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    joxes, if I read correctly you sync'd with the old software first? The documentation that came with my 650 stated in two separate places to not ddo that. Install new hotsync software before you sync the 650. I read on the p1 site how to "archive" the old backup folder and retrieve apps from it one at a time. I had no problems with mine. If you haven't given up, maybe try a hard reset and modify the order in which you proceed. This seems to be a key issue in first using the device. Just a thought...
    Vince
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    Quote Originally Posted by webtoker
    Wow, I have had my GSM Treo 650 since last Friday and it maybe has reset twice during this whole time. This after several 3rd party apps and a lot of usage including streaming music, chatteremail, and Blazer. May need to ask for an exchange...
    So, you aren't using versamail, right?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!