Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #3  
    I think PalmOne people read this forum, saw how hysterical GSM fans are, and decided: "Hey, we can raise prices. These guys would do anything for an unlocked phone."

    Or it could simply be a blunder
  2. #4  
    Meh, someone will figure out how to unlock it soon enough. Sadly TMobile doesn't have any EDGE towers so I have to move to Cingular anyways so there isn't a lot of point in me not switching over.
  3. #5  
    This is a bogus move by PalmOne. I sent them an e-mail and let them know my disappointment in the price increase and the fact that there is no upgrade path for 600 users.
  4. #6  
    This doesn't pass the smell test. The "Sprint branded" CDMA retails for $599 with no new service agreement. In principle at least, anyone who buys one at that price isn't bringing Sprint any new business--if they were, they'd get a heavily subsidised phone and sign up for a two-year contract. I can't believe Sprint would be subsidising $100 per unit of a phone that existing customers are just going to substitute for the phone they already have, so $599 is likely the "real price" at which P1 makes a profit without getting a carrier subsidy.

    Maybe one of our phone hardware geeks can comment on this, but does it really cost P1 $100 more to build a GSM Treo than a CDMA model? I kinda doubt it; I suspect this is simply a gouge P1 has calculated they can get away with in view of the pent-up fervor of the GSM market for this phone.

    Here's to the GSM world coming up with their own version of the "Verizonization hack" real soon.
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
  5. #7  
    I suspect this is more to keep Cingular happy than anything else.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6. #8  
    pricing 101 - price what your customers are willing to pay, not what the goods cost you. P1 made a mistake, no doubt about it. But it was a mistake that benefited the TCers, not against us. Had P1 started with $699 for unlocked treos, we wouldn't even get a chance to buy them for $599. I bet that 99 percents of U.S. buyers will buy a branded phone, and it is in P1's best interest to protect its biggest customers - Sprint, AT&T, Cingular, and Verizon.
  7. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal
    This doesn't pass the smell test. The "Sprint branded" CDMA retails for $599 with no new service agreement. In principle at least, anyone who buys one at that price isn't bringing Sprint any new business--if they were, they'd get a heavily subsidised phone and sign up for a two-year contract. I can't believe Sprint would be subsidising $100 per unit of a phone that existing customers are just going to substitute for the phone they already have, so $599 is likely the "real price" at which P1 makes a profit without getting a carrier subsidy.

    Maybe one of our phone hardware geeks can comment on this, but does it really cost P1 $100 more to build a GSM Treo than a CDMA model? I kinda doubt it; I suspect this is simply a gouge P1 has calculated they can get away with in view of the pent-up fervor of the GSM market for this phone.

    Here's to the GSM world coming up with their own version of the "Verizonization hack" real soon.
    I don't know about how much it costs them to build them, but $699 was the price of the unlocked Treo 600 from day one. All the other prices are in line with the Treo 600 as well, so on the face of it this could very well be an honest (yet rather unprofessional) mistake.
  8. #10  
    Someone else already mentioned this possibility, but I like the idea. Perhaps this was sort of a nod to TC'ers.....like an unofficial "first 10000 orders get a lower price."

    THANKS, P1!!!!
    ooooh, look at the shiny Copper Treo 680
  9. #11  
    OK folks, let's make this very simple.

    The Cingular retail price for a GSM Treo is $450 (yes, yes, I know there are rebates..). The cancellation fee is $250. At what price ought PalmOne to sell their Treos so that you can't save money by buying directly from them?
  10. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtalian
    Someone else already mentioned this possibility, but I like the idea. Perhaps this was sort of a nod to TC'ers.....like an unofficial "first 10000 orders get a lower price."



    THANKS, P1!!!! http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/biggrin.gif
    YES PALMONE, THANK YOU!!!!!!!*



















    *Now if they would only ship the thing.
  11. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    pricing 101 - price what your customers are willing to pay, not what the goods cost you.
    True enough, and I don't assert that Palm is doing anything illegal--just sleazy. "Charging what your customers are willing to pay" would probably mean selling the Treo 650 Unlocked for $1000 on orders shipping to California and New York and $500 on orders shipping to Idaho and West Virginia. This is, of course, exactly what supermarkets do every day; they just don't do it on a website visible across the US.
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
  12. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    *Now if they would only ship the thing.
    heh...indeed!!!!
    ooooh, look at the shiny Copper Treo 680
  13. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtalian
    Someone else already mentioned this possibility, but I like the idea. Perhaps this was sort of a nod to TC'ers.....like an unofficial "first 10000 orders get a lower price."

    THANKS, P1!!!!
    I highly doubt it. And why would TC'ers want that kind of nod; one filled with dishonesty and benefitted only *some* of us?
  14. #16  
    if the vc coupon was for 50% a treo and they sold the 650 for $350, what would the original price of the treo be?

    this math is too hard for me. someone let me know.

    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  15. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Quite candidly, I do not think they have sense enough to come in out of the rain. This only the latest in the insults to their most loyal customers. However, a search of Treo Central will demonstrate that I predicted a price of $699 for the unlocked version and expected to pay $750 for reasonable schedule. Having ordered at $599 and knowing P1, I expect March or April delivery. Again, that is the date that I have been expecting in any case. This one is not the design leader that the 600 was. The 650 simply does not justify the kind of loyalty to tolerate the insult. Buy a 650 but sell P1.
  16. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Quite candidly, I do not think they have sense enough to come in out of the rain. This only the latest in the insults to their most loyal customers. However, a search of Treo Central will demonstrate that I predicted a price of $699 for the unlocked version and expected to pay $750 for reasonable schedule. Having ordered at $599 and knowing P1, I expect March or April delivery. Again, that is the date that I have been expecting in any case. This one is not the design leader that the 600 was. The 650 simply does not justify the kind of loyalty to tolerate the insult. Buy a 650 but sell P1.
    I hope that's not true.They are liable here as they have stated a time period and have taken orders. A delay for 2 months would be highly unreasonable.
  17. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie
    *Now if they would only ship the thing.
    Don't hold your breath.
  18. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    I hope that's not true.They are liable here as they have stated a time period and have taken orders. A delay for 2 months would be highly unreasonable.
    When I placed my order, they were quoting 1-3 day shipment; took my money for overnight delivery. They had reneged within 24 hours.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions