1.    #1  
    I'm imagining a unit similar to those bluetooth gps units, except it would connect through to a wifi network. This would be more practical than the sdio card as the slot would still be available for extra memory.

It's already been shown that a connection via bluetooth to a home broadband connection is possible, so this wouldn't require any software changes on the treo (apart from maybe an app to configure ssid etc on the bluetooth-wifi unit).

Does anyone out there think such a unit could be made for a reasonable price? I've no idea as to the cost/engineering time needed to devise something like this.

The lack of wifi on the treo is really bugging me and though I've waited months for the 650 to come out I'm now seriously considering the windows mobile HTC Blue Angel (aka Qtek 9090, MDA III, O2 XDA IIs etc.) instead.
    drbob
    i'm not too sure that the BT DUN is stable enough to sustain both the bluetooth and wi-fi connect. and even if it was, you'd think the bandwidth limitations on the bluetooth spec would negate the speed benefits brought forth by wi-fi...but i'm sure i'm wrong.

anyone care to chime in?
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  3.    #3  
    The maximum bandwith for bluetooth is around 700kbps, slower than wifi (11mbps) but still plenty fast enough for web browsing, music streaming, voip etc. I think the main draw of wifi on a unit like the treo isn't high speed (I'm not going to be shifting huge files off it) but the flexibilty wifi gives to connect to hotspots for much cheaper/free net access when on the move rather than use expensive gprs.
    drbob
    Quote Originally Posted by drbob

Does anyone out there think such a unit could be made for a reasonable price? I've no idea as to the cost/engineering time needed to devise something like this.
    BT to wifi bridges already exist but they are very pricey. Possio make a few fyi:

http://www.possio.com/scripts/split....d=english&dh=3

Also, if you really want to use wifi on the 650 and can't wait for the rumored "official' Snadisk drivers from PalmOne (or if you don't want to use Shadowmite's hacked drivers), then the most reasonable alternative solution would be to wait for the Enfora 650 wifi sled:

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=40765

The 650 sled is supposedly going to be released shortly...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions