1.    #1  
    Take a look at what Palmone says about a ROM update for Sprint users.

http://forums.palmone.com/pe/action/...ware_que__USCA
    Fine, but PalmOne can very easily "lean" on Sprint to make this happen. I understand that Sprint pays most of the R&D costs on the Treo, but it still makes Palm look bad. Pointing the blame at Sprint, Palmsource, or PalmOne is ridiculous. The issue "belongs" to all of them. They all need to get together, and fix it. Palmsource "built" the OS and the phone app that doesn't work like it should. Palmone chose NVFS to eliminate the need for a built in battery, but they didn't test it enough to know it was going to cause an issue with the memory. Sprint wanted a shiny new handset, so they pushed it out without any "real world" testing as far as the PDA goes, or they would have seen the issues too. And you know what? I can't totally blame them because we were clamoring for the damn thing to come out, but I for one would have rather waited. For me, the biggest issue has been the Bluetooth. The sound is choppy. The volume is not loud enough. BT for me is nothing but a headset tool, so I don't believe I have some sort of HIGH expectations here, and they couldn't even get that right! Palm's going to sit there and tell us it's Sprint's problem? Mmmm... Next year, when I go to some other device that delivers on the things the Treo hasn't, will it matter whose fault it was? They'll all suffer, so they should all be held accountable for what's going on with this handset.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Did anyone else notice "Predictive Text Expert's" tag line

Type of Reply: Complete Answer

Is that a laugh or what?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Lame!
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Sprint doesn't make the ROM updates, c'mon. P1 does and works with Sprint on the customizations. Another story of an ***** customer service person.

Joe
    I keep hearing all this self-flaggellation about how it's the fault of us, the users, that the TREO 650 came out too early and with problems. I don't buy it, folks (both the argument, and for now the TREO). Think of some of the more popular car designs, like maybe some of the rarer AMG Mercedes or something where people are putting up thousands of bucks just to be on the darn waiting list. You don't see Mercedes kicking the car out the door with an untested engine or wheels that weren't bolted on right just to satisfy somebody's inability to delay their gratification.

I don't know who is responsible for all the screw-ups, but to blame us, the customers, is just some self-loathing that has no real bearing on what goes on here.

By the way, we don't seem to be hearing about all the same problems with the GSM TREO 650... Could PalmOne have actually got it right this time????
    I will say that the OEM agreement has me fliflopping constantly between sticking with my Sprint Treo, or selling it and getting a GSM handset and switching over to Cingular. the real problem with this "exclusive OEM" agreement that palm has with Sprint is that we are SCREWED in situations like this. Sprint does NOT have the resources in place to handle Treo tech support, and yet they've prohibited PalmOne from doing the support even when they are perfectly capable of doing so. That's absurd!

This same agreement will also screw you over if one of us with a Sprint Treo needs an oout-of-warranty repair. Even if you're willing to pay whatever it costs to repair your Treo, Sprint won't repair it because they can't, and PalmOne CAN do it but WON'T because it's "not their product," and P1 will tell you to talk to Sprint about repair... EVEN THOUGH THEY WON'T DO IT!!

Ugh. Still on the fence. Sprint has a great network, but damn does the support for this phone suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    You don't see Mercedes kicking the car out the door with an untested engine or wheels that weren't bolted on right just to satisfy somebody's inability to delay their gratification.

By the way, we don't seem to be hearing about all the same problems with the GSM TREO 650... Could PalmOne have actually got it right this time????
    Actually, Mercedes has been putting out a lot of cars that aren't ready for prime time. Look at the frequency of repair ratings in Consumer Reports. And their reputation for quality, and their sales, have taken a beating in Germany.

As for the GSM phones, what forum have you been reading? There seem to be plenty of issues based on the threads I've skimmed. I think it's just that there still aren't that many GSM 650s in people's hands yet, so not too many people are complaining.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    I will say that the OEM agreement has me fliflopping constantly between sticking with my Sprint Treo, or selling it and getting a GSM handset and switching over to Cingular. the real problem with this "exclusive OEM" agreement that palm has with Sprint is that we are SCREWED in situations like this. Sprint does NOT have the resources in place to handle Treo tech support, and yet they've prohibited PalmOne from doing the support even when they are perfectly capable of doing so. That's absurd!

This same agreement will also screw you over if one of us with a Sprint Treo needs an oout-of-warranty repair. Even if you're willing to pay whatever it costs to repair your Treo, Sprint won't repair it because they can't, and PalmOne CAN do it but WON'T because it's "not their product," and P1 will tell you to talk to Sprint about repair... EVEN THOUGH THEY WON'T DO IT!!

Ugh. Still on the fence. Sprint has a great network, but damn does the support for this phone suck.

My only question: What makes you think the situation with support and repair of a Cingular branded phone is going to be any better? At least with Sprint, you can buy insurance to cover repair / replacement after the warranty is up. I don't think Cingular will insure the treo, will they?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet

This kind of thing also happend to me with IN WARRANTY repairs with my old 300, Sprint not knowing what to do, Handspring (then Palm) saying they can't do it. Actually in the ongoing debate on whether the lockline insurance is "worth it" this is a pretty good argument to take the plunge. Even though, based on the cost of the phone, $5/mo is pretty steep, in addition to having it lost, stolen or broken you have to factor in the additional risk of being caught between two companies that sometimes have trouble pulling heads out of small holes.
    To be honest, im actually suprised that that post is even ON the P1 board since it mentions issues that P1 has not admitted even exist at this point. In response to some of the posts above I note that the P1 reply does not say that Sprint does the OS update, but says it decides when it is announced/released.

My favorite part of the response....

Type of Reply: Complete Answer

Quote Originally Posted by JTL
    Take a look at what Palmone says about a ROM update for Sprint users.

http://forums.palmone.com/pe/action/...ware_que__USCA
    Ya know, I wonder...

Yesterday and today Sprint pushed a reprovisioning or whatever you call it. Might this not be their preferred method of updating Treo 650s? Be nice if we knew what was happening, but if they're pushing fixes, I'm all for it.

Tom