Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I've been using a product called CompanionLink for Lotus Notes. zIt works well and is only $50.
    Dennis G. Esler
    For me, there are many days I do not make it to my office at all due to meetings etc., I used to feel like I had two jobs, in order to stay ahead I'd get home and get on web mail an get caught up so I would not be that much further behind the next day. Being able to sync by cableing up or via BT at my desktop would be of little utilty for me. So, do these other sync applications allow you to sync over the cell network? Can you create emails / responses while offline and sync to send / receive?
    Quote Originally Posted by dgwilson
    For several weeks now, I've been able to successfully sync my Treo 650 with my Notes 6.5.3 client using Pylon Pro 5.3. And if you only want to sync the std pim apps (e.g. mail, calendar, address, etc.), and not any custom notes apps, you can save a few bucks and purchase Pylon conduit instead of pro.
    Others in my office and I have been using Pylon Conduit for a while, mostly for the calendar sync. I found that it doesn't sync all the appts in my calendar. It finds "broken" records. They appear in my Notes calendar properly but just don't sync. In trying to determine the pattern to the problem records, it looks like Pylon can't handle changes to a meeting or appt within Notes, whether the change was initiated by you or by someone else. All this after several fresh installs on a couple 600s and a 650.

I'm playing with mNotes right now (installed last night) and in less than 30 minutes I had my entire calendar on my 650, including the events that Pylon couldn't handle. I really don't want to pay $75 for Notes calendar syncing, but if this is the only one I can get to work, guess I'm going to have to suck it up...
    Can any of these solutions work without having to leave your PC on at the office? I've tried several, but the only ones I could get to work with my companies Notes 5.0.11 require my work PC to stay on, which I can't do. I still use my Blackberry for company e-mails. Perhaps my "only" solution is to wait for the possible Blackerry Connect for Palm????
    For reference sake, Pylon's iAnywhere suite is a straight resell of the Intellisync solution.
    For the Xpress Mail personal edition, which means no corporate server, you must leave your machine on. I ended up doing this long ago so that my archive schedule would run automatically, otherwise I would be in mail jail quite a bit.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I thought I had mNotes working but my calendar doesn't sync. I am currently working with their support but no luck so far.

It would be nice to have something to sync to my Lotus Notes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland
    Then I bring it up on my Palm and it connects and tries to sync. It works at that for a while - several minutes - then reports "Error S7121: Cannot connect to desktop". If I go look at my desktop client at that point, it shows "Connected", but on the menu instead of having an option to Disconnect (and the Connect one greyed out), it has an option to Connect (and the Disconnect one greyed out). And my local browser can no longer access the information.

If I reconnect the Desktop version, everything works again, and the Palm will again spend several minutes transferring data before it breaks again in exactly the same way. I never complete the Palm synchronization.

As far as I can tell, there is no support at all on the Cingular site. Any thoughts?
    First thing to mention is that this Cingular software is actually produced by www.seven.com. I have been on the beta program for Seven for a few months and I have been using Seven for getting Lotus Notes email and Calendar onto my Treo 600 wirelessly.

Until a recent release of the Seven software I too was always getting the S7121 error that you mention. I turned on debugging on the PC client and in the file called slingshot.log I could see what was going wrong.

When you try to download emails, for each person in the To: or Cc: of the email the connector individually contacts Notes to query for some information about the contact. It also does the lookup for Calendar entries. Eventually the Treo gives up waiting for the connector and the link is cut until you reconnect the desktop connector (like you mentioned above).

You can try minimizing the following settings in the preferences on the Treo (to reduce the likelihood of a timeout):
    - Mail: Fetch 25 most recent messages
    - Calendar: Fetch past day of appointments
    - Calendar: Fetch next day of appointments

If I look at the version number of Seven on my Treo it is 6.3.1.506. The problem is fixed in this version.

Unfortunately it will probably take a while for Cingular to rollout an update to the software that would fix the problem for you. Alternatively you could try to get on the Seven beta program www.seven.com/beta.
    Last edited by mjw; 02/19/2005 at 10:41 AM.
    Reading this thread there seems to be a lot of confusion going on.

First thing to clarify is that there are two major classes of product for integrating with Notes on the treo:
    1) Products that sync via hotsync (Intellisync, Easysync)
    2) Products that sync wirelessly
    a) and can tunnel through a corporate firewall (Seven, the rebranded versions of Seven from Cingular and Sprint, Visto (sadly no longer sold))
    b) but need certain ports to be opened on a corporate firewall (mNotes, Snapper, Chatter)
    c) and finally those that don't support Notes (Goodlink)

I use Intellisync and Seven. Products in category 2b were not an option for me since I work at a large company and there is no way I am going to pursuade corporate IT to open a port in their firewall.

Seven works great for me, but I'm sure that the corporate security people would not approve if they knew I was running it.

The most secure option would be to use a VPN solution like Mergic or Movian to create a secure tunnel into my corporate LAN, then use one of the 2b options but unfortunately my company only supports IPSec VPN. Movian is the only product that does IPSec, but it does not support compression and this seems to prevent me from connecting successfully via VPN.

Let me know if anyone has come across any other good solutions.
    Hi,

I had a Tungsten T3 and back then couldn't get Versamail to work, even though it "supported Lotus Notes", because it refused to sync anything if your database had more than 50 folders. At 200+ folders I was just plum out of luck. PalmOne support sent the issue of to Tier 2 support and a year later nothing has been resolved, despite many followups on my behalf. Sigh.

The Versamail version supplied with the 650 seems to have resolved this issue. It can be fiddly to setup, but its now working properly and that's good enough for me at the moment. I like the idea of keeping my personal contact/meeting/etc details separate from Notes, and don't want any more integration with Notes than that supplied by Versamail.

Thanks,
    Matt
    i got a question guys: at work, we use Lotus Notes, but in order to get to our email, we have to log into the network by using a token. So, basically, we have to have installed a VPN Nortel client on the desktop in order to connect to the network and then read our email thru lotus notes. I'm assuming that there is no way I could read my email on Treo 650 right?
    Quote Originally Posted by horatiub
    i got a question guys: at work, we use Lotus Notes, but in order to get to our email, we have to log into the network by using a token. So, basically, we have to have installed a VPN Nortel client on the desktop in order to connect to the network and then read our email thru lotus notes. I'm assuming that there is no way I could read my email on Treo 650 right?
    You can try installing Mergic or Movian VPN software on your Treo then fire-up your email app to retrieve.

I'm not 100% sure if this will work (a lot of it depends on how your mailserver is set up) but it's worth a try. FYI, I'm trying to resolve the same issue - accessing my Notes email and Calendar on my Treo.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jfclague
    I thought I had mNotes working but my calendar doesn't sync. I am currently working with their support but no luck so far.

It would be nice to have something to sync to my Lotus Notes.
    I found out (the hard way) this weekend that you might need to go into the mNotes setting on your Palm device, select your calendar, and choose settings, then [force slow sync] or something like that. That even allowed my work computer to finally sync with my home computer, too. Now all my calendars are up to date and together. (Of course, I still have to eliminate all the duplicates created by doing this initially, but after that it looks like it will work swimmingly...)

I hope this helps!
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=RawData]I found out (the hard way) this weekend that you might need to go into the mNotes setting on your Palm device, select your calendar, and choose settings, then [force slow sync] or something like that. That even allowed my work computer to finally sync with my home computer, too. Now all my calendars are up to date and together. (Of course, I still have to eliminate all the duplicates created by doing this initially, but after that it looks like it will work swimmingly...)QUOTE]

What version of Lotus Notes are you using? What are your other settings at for Contacts, Memos, & Tasks?

I am almost at the point of frustration that I will keep 2 of everything (Notes & Palm Desktop) & that will really suck.

Thanks for the info.
    Anyone using mNotes wirelessly? I really need to find a similar to Blackberry solution for Calender and Email ASAP.

It's mNotes, Intellasync or BUST!!!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    What to you need to do to connect to notes with mnotes remotely? Do you need to have all the server software loaded? Is it expensive?
  17. JJL
    Quote Originally Posted by ewhip
    Anyone using mNotes wirelessly? I really need to find a similar to Blackberry solution for Calender and Email ASAP.

It's mNotes, Intellasync or BUST!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am also interested in this. I have it working for hotsync, quite well actually, so I emailed support about the possibility of syncing directly to my Notes server over VPN, or using mNotes as a desktop redirector like SEVEN or sprint B(C)S, which is crap, by the way. Here is the response I got back from Commontime about 5 minutes after I submitted it!

Unfortunately, this sounds way more difficult then I want to attempt. I am hoping to get in the SEVEN Beta

Thank you for your email.
    In order to synchronize your PDA with a Notes/Domino server (e.g. via dialup, wireless or ethernet connection), you will need to set up a mNotes "gateway". To do this you need to install the mNotes Server / Cadenza Services (the PC/server component of mNotes) and the CommonTime Thin Client Connector on a PC that is permanently connected to the Notes network and you will need to be able to connect to this PC from the PDA by TCP/IP. The "gateway" PC must be a Windows PC and it can be either a Domino server (with mNotes running in "Enterprise" mode) or a Notes client (with mNotes running in "Workgroup" mode). The mail files do NOT need to be located on the "gateway", as mNotes will find them on whichever Domino server they reside on.

The Workgroup/Enterprise mode installer can be downloaded from:
    http://www.commontime.com/downloadmeantime.aspx
    - install either mNotes in Enterprise mode (mServer for Domino + CommonTime Thin Client Connector) or mNotes in Workgroup mode (mServer for Notes + CommonTime Thin Client Connector)

For further information on the multi-user mode installation, please, read the Installation Guide which can be downloaded from the following link:
    http://www.commontime.com/Downloads/...NotesAdmin.pdf

To ensure the CommonTime Thin Client Connector service gets installed (you will need to start this service manually after installation is complete):

1. Run the installer. Take the Administrative route when prompted.
    2. Install all components from section 1 - personal mNotes and 2 Network server paltforms (choose the "This Feature and All sub features will be installed....") You can ignore section 3.

For further information on the multi-user mode installation, please, read the Installation Guide which can be downloaded from the following link:
    http://www.commontime.com/Downloads/...NotesAdmin.pdf

You will need to also set up a profile for each connecting user:

To create a profile document for the user in the control database:

1. Open the control database (cadenza.nsf) by going into Lotus Notes and using File > Database >: Open then scrolling down to the Cadenza folder, opening that folder and then opening the control database.
    2. Go to the Profiles view, click Create in the top bar of the Profile window.
    3. In the Owner Information section for Device default, choose Standard Palm OS
    4. Select the user's Notes name by clicking the helper arrow in the Profile for field.
    5. Select the password type in Authenticate with (in Personal mode the password is optional and this field can be left blank). A password is required when installing in Workgroup/Enterprise mode.
    6. Depending on the setting in step 5, enter the password if necessary or attach the Notes ID in the Notes ID field at the end of the Owner Information section.
    7. Set the Palm Time Zone.
    8. Save and close the profile and control database.

You would then need to establish the TCP/IP connection from the Palm device to the machine running the CommonTime Thin Client Connector. For instructions on how to do this please consult your device documentation and the connection service provider.

To configure mNotes on the Palm to use the connection:
    1. Create a new location in mNotes on the Palm, by from the Home screen choosing mNotes > Edit locations... in the top right corner menu
    2. Tap New and give the location record a suitable name
    3. Choose the correct Connection type from the drop-down list
    4. In the Wireless field enter the IP address of the machine on which you have installed the mServer and the CommonTime Thin Client Connector, and leave the port as 608

On the machine running the mServer, please, check that the services and that the CommonTime Thin Client Connector are running. Also make sure that the port 608 is open both inwards and outwards via the firewall.
    Do not hesitate to contact us again.
  18. JJL
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw
    First thing to mention is that this Cingular software is actually produced by www.seven.com. I have been on the beta program for Seven for a few months and I have been using Seven for getting Lotus Notes email and Calendar onto my Treo 600 wirelessly.

Until a recent release of the Seven software I too was always getting the S7121 error that you mention. I turned on debugging on the PC client and in the file called slingshot.log I could see what was going wrong.

When you try to download emails, for each person in the To: or Cc: of the email the connector individually contacts Notes to query for some information about the contact. It also does the lookup for Calendar entries. Eventually the Treo gives up waiting for the connector and the link is cut until you reconnect the desktop connector (like you mentioned above).

You can try minimizing the following settings in the preferences on the Treo (to reduce the likelihood of a timeout):
    - Mail: Fetch 25 most recent messages
    - Calendar: Fetch past day of appointments
    - Calendar: Fetch next day of appointments

If I look at the version number of Seven on my Treo it is 6.3.1.506. The problem is fixed in this version.

Unfortunately it will probably take a while for Cingular to rollout an update to the software that would fix the problem for you. Alternatively you could try to get on the Seven beta program www.seven.com/beta.
    How long did it take Seven to respond to your BETA request? I haven't received a confirmation # yet and I really want to try this.
    Last edited by JJL; 02/25/2005 at 12:53 PM. Reason: I can't type.
    Quote Originally Posted by RawData
    Others in my office and I have been using Pylon Conduit for a while, mostly for the calendar sync. I found that it doesn't sync all the appts in my calendar. It finds "broken" records. They appear in my Notes calendar properly but just don't sync. In trying to determine the pattern to the problem records, it looks like Pylon can't handle changes to a meeting or appt within Notes, whether the change was initiated by you or by someone else. All this after several fresh installs on a couple 600s and a 650.
    Just want to put my few cents in... I use the current version of Pylon Conduit for Lotus Notes v6.01CF... works great... retail around $75... but worth the trouble... I sync my email, tasks, calendar, contacts and journal, plus a few other DBs I have on my notes system.

I have tried others, Intellesync, and EasySync (of course not supported), and found Pylon is the best solution.
    Got to love it... Balinor
    Quote Originally Posted by JJL
    How long did it take Seven to respond to your BETA request? I haven't received a confirmation # yet and I really want to try this.
    It was a long time back so I forget. There seem to be a lot of Treo users in the beta program. Maybe it will be tough to get in. An alternative would be to use one of the paid versions of Seven. Hopefully they will rollout some of the fixes that are crucial to Notes users (e.g. avoiding the S7121 error).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast