1.    #1  
    Hi,

Does anyone know the difference between the Java environment for PalmOS supplied by www.java.com for free and the Java environment at palmone.com for $5??

-Ben
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    I didn't see a download for a JVM for Palm. Can you post a specific link?

This looks like a Sun site. If so, the only JVM I think they made was MIDP4Palm. This was more or a proof-of-concept than a productized piece of software. It only supported the initial MIDP 1.0 release and was fairly slow.

If you're interested in Java on Palm, the IBM JVM is the way to go. It seems fully standards compliant (cursory view) and now supports the optional PDA packages so you can get to the SD card and interact w/Calendar, Contacts, etc.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz

This looks like a Sun site. If so, the only JVM I think they made was MIDP4Palm. This was more or a proof-of-concept than a productized piece of software. It only supported the initial MIDP 1.0 release and was fairly slow.

If you're interested in Java on Palm, the IBM JVM is the way to go. It seems fully standards compliant (cursory view) and now supports the optional PDA packages so you can get to the SD card and interact w/Calendar, Contacts, etc.
    Oh yeah, I was talking about MIDP for Palm (so you probably have the link already). So the IBM JVM is a good implementation, thanks for the info! So why do you think Palmone is charging for theirs?

-S
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
    Actually it is IBM that is charging. Why? Because it is a product that required development and there is a limited market.
    You can get the official IBM release for free. All you have to do is go to the Palm Developer site and register (for free). Then you can download the entire JCK, which includes the runtime, for free.

Search the forum here. The link was posted multiple time within the last week.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by gkaatz

Here's the link for the download:

http://www.palmos.com/dev/tech/java/

Also there have always been freeware java pluggins for PalmOS like Superwaba:

http://www.superwaba.org/install/

However, I don't think these alternative J2ME's have the same treo specific API's like the LBS etc. Thus while it may work for some midlets, only the IBM Websphere J2ME lisenced by PalmSource will probably take full advantage of the 650's features....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions