1.    #1  
    I'm really pushing the Treo 650.

I'll admit that now...

I'm running over 100 programs but I have 8-10 megs free on device thanks to a 1gb card and Zlauncher.

My lineage: I've used Sprint Sringboard Module phones on the Visor, Visor Deluxe, Neo, edge, and Prism. I have owned a Treo 300, 600, and now a 650.

I had my first real travelling/business day with the 650 and I used my Treo as I would normally do.

This is how it did:

Driving >>

Entertainment:

Used Pocket Tunes to stream Mp3's of the card. Listened to an Art Bell show. Using a tape adapter and mini-jack adaptor I pumped it through the car speakers.

PROS: Good sound. Easily listen to music/audiobooks/recorded streams with no buffering or stuttering.

CONS: Occasional LOUD crackling sound from the Speaker plug when moving unit around . (This happened with my 600 as well.)
    UNABLE TO ANSWER phone calls and use the onboard speaker and car speakers as a "handsfree solution". This worked PERFECTLY on my old Treo 600. Pocketunes would turn off and you could answer the call with a single button. The user was able to hear through the onboard mic WITHOUT an adaptor. I'm "excited" to try this with Bluetooth and cutting cords/etc....

Navigating:

PROS: Using Mapquest and Blazer I navigated to 3 new and unfamiliar locations. This worked fairly well, using Wide Page mode and the sharpness of the screen it was easy to see the maps. Using step by step directions with a nice big font made point to point navigation fairly easy.

CONS: Occasional crashing of Treo when simply browsing made me have to repeat the process of looking up my directions. I ended up using Yahoo Maps which saved locations. The spam on Mapquest and Yahoo meant loading took a while. For one location it must have taken me 20 minutes to finally complete a query. Other times, it took 2 minutes. Not as reliable as I would like, but it got me there. Cheap GPS as I see it.

PROBLEM: Not receiving phone calls when using data mode. This is again a serious issue when using a phone for business.

NEXT >> Personal Communication

I've been experimenting with Verichat to communicate with the lady back at home. She's in between phones, so ICQ was a great way to send quick questions, emoticons, and whatnot at an instant. For no apparent reason, my Verichat info database exploded and I was unable to log on. No problem I thought, I'll erase it and reload a backup. After struggling with undeletable files, I managed to wipe and install a backup. Nope- same problem. Multiple backups and FULL erases and resets were no match. I could not get my chat clients back up. This not a big deal THIS time as I just wanted to say hi. HOWEVER, occasionally this Instant Messaging is used for BUSINESS projects, and therefore becomes a tool if not a lifeline. In that situation, my "Treo Upgrade" failed miserably...

NEXT>>> WORK STUFF

I had to pick up some credentials for the SAG awards this weekend. When I was there I was informed that "camera phones" were absolutely banned from the event and I would have to rent one if I needed a phone.

"What? You're kidding right?" Here we go with corporate espionage and Stars that for some reason refuse to have their picture taken (huh?).

I could argue the phone ban, but I didn't. "So, you think I might take a blurry digital picture to send to my grandma while I'm holding this running HD Camera, or is that banned too?".

The point- here is a business event where I will not have access to my Treo, not because of a crash or network hole- but because it has a silly little camera on it. I'm really considering physically removing it or breaking the lens so I could show it to "the man" when he tries to take it away. I sure the heck don't use it. I'm usually carrying a device that has considerably more pixels and bandwith when I'm working. but thats just me...

NEXT>>> ALARM CLOCK

Ok, so I've done my business, I'm done visiting friends, and it's time to catch some Zzz's... Forgot an alarm clock, no problem. My Treo has one! A quick test setup to check the volume, and... NOTHING. Never went off. Good thing I tested. In my job, YOU ARE NOT LATE. You don't use one alarm lock- but two or three. Here I am with my "upgraded" device and it is failing on a SIMPLE ALARM TONE. Not good. I never figured that one out. I have NO third party alarm apps.

CONCLUSION

My 600 loaded to the hilt and pushed to the limits would have handled the day without a hitch. None of the above problems would have been an issue.
    The screen would have looked a little unreadable, but the text directions would have got me there. What's funny is as I look back on my old units, the earlier I go- the more reliable they were. Sure I wasn't streaming MP3's with my old visor, but it rarely crashed and I was able to use all these data functions and phone without a hitch.

Back to 600? I'm still debating.

gee.. thanks for sharing that dude..
    just wanna ask something, which isn't all that relevant.

how did you manage to fit all that using the 1gig card and Zlauncher ?
    (as in you moved everything to the expansion card using the Zlauncher - tap and hold, move to expansion card) - you did this for everything ? don't you need to have some programs residing in RAM?
  3.    #3  
    I have a few residing in Ram- only the ones that I need to load instantly, or are required by their design to run off RAM. Some programs don't integrate well unless on RAM. For example, if you receive a picture as an email attachment through snapper mail and you want to view it, both the email program and the viewer need to be in ram. Zlauncher doesn't support multiple programs in RAM. The only reason I have a Gig card is so I can have an insane amount of MP3 files at my fingertips. My old 512 card ran fine with all those programs.
    Not that I think this would matter, but are you talking about the new GSM 650? Or the Sprint version? I'm sorry the 650 has disappointed... I can only hope that this is not the common case. My GSM is going to be at my doorstep (actually hotel doorstep... I'm on the road right now) in about 6 hours.

Though, I can't imagine running 100 programs... maybe 98... or 99... but 100

Dont know if the OP has tried it but the wifes 650 came with a CD from Handmark that gives you free weatherfor a year and other apps free for a month. This included a mapping/direction program that works good.

rj
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52
    Not that I think this would matter, but are you talking about the new GSM 650? Or the Sprint version? I'm sorry the 650 has disappointed... I can only hope that this is not the common case. My GSM is going to be at my doorstep (actually hotel doorstep... I'm on the road right now) in about 6 hours.

Though, I can't imagine running 100 programs... maybe 98... or 99... but 100

He's using the Sprint version...

"PROBLEM: Not receiving phone calls when using data mode."
    Ok, I was lost on that last response. You mean GSM phones can receive phone calls when data is being used? I didn't know that.